Main Menu

Project Monster BBQ

Started by 55starchief, January 18, 2006, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

ahh bit of a bummer, don't worry about it mate we got a few months till the first show

FUBAR

Update:

Quoting: FUBAR
A few other things that spring to mind that need doing:

- New Brakes!!
- New Jockey Wheel
- Replacement Charcoal Grill (Idea in on this using solid Mild Steel Bar)
- Replacement Cooking Grill (I have an idea for this but its probably not cheap as it involves making it from Solid Stainless Bar...) this is not urgent at all TBH
(again not urgent)

- Purchase of Shiny Stainless things like hinges will be happening soon.
- New Brakes - Still very urgent
- New Jockey wheel - it still needs one.
- Replacement Charcoal Grill - Work in Progress I believe
- Replacement Cooking Grill - not urgent

- A nicer looking Handle arrangement - Now Urgent as we cut the old one off .   I have found (in B&Q of all places) something that will work for this, its basically a 52mm wooden staircase handrailing and associated end fittings... trouble is the fittings are £20 each but they can be appropriately shaped to fit the curve of the tank, and a length of pine 'rod' to go in the middle is £18 (Oak one is £50!!! sod that!)  so its not cheap, but its chunky (possibly too chunky?) and will not break.  anyone got any other ideas?

And... anyone want to volunteer to buy some bits for any of the above?
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

- Purchase of Shiny Stainless things like hinges will be happening soon.

New Brakes - Still very urgent

Need to disassamble the current ones to see what shoes they are and work out what replacements are needed - possible job for this / next weekend - when you going up there??

New Jockey wheel - it still needs one.

Plus new towhitch preferably (seeing as the current one is a tad low!)

Replacement Charcoal Grill - Work in Progress I believe

Correct - steel angle ordered from phil - won't be here till next week though - same for the stainless stripping

A nicer looking Handle arrangement - Now Urgent as we cut the old one off . I have found (in B&Q of all places) something that will work for this, its basically a 52mm wooden staircase handrailing and associated end fittings... trouble is the fittings are £20 each but they can be appropriately shaped to fit the curve of the tank, and a length of pine 'rod' to go in the middle is £18 (Oak one is £50!!! sod that!) so its not cheap, but its chunky (possibly too chunky?) and will not break. anyone got any other ideas?

Cool sounds a plan - there is still an unused bit of the handle wood that was on there before - stain that and would look

Jamieg285

- A nicer looking Handle arrangement - Now Urgent as we cut the old one off . I have found (in B&Q of all places) something that will work for this, its basically a 52mm wooden staircase handrailing and associated end fittings... trouble is the fittings are £20 each but they can be appropriately shaped to fit the curve of the tank, and a length of pine 'rod' to go in the middle is £18 (Oak one is £50!!! sod that!) so its not cheap, but its chunky (possibly too chunky?) and will not break. anyone got any other ideas?

I'm sure I have some spare banister rail in the garage, not sure what wood it is, but you can have the required length for free.  All you need then are the brackets.

FUBAR

Tonight I have been...

Making the electrical contacts for the Licence plate lights on the rear door

Basically its a 2 pin american mains plug, encased in wood & good 'ol No more Nails

Basically the small bit with the exposed pins is mounted to the top corner of the door... and the other bit, which is yet to be cut to size due to the fact that the BBQ is 30 miles away, will be mounted to the roof of the storage area...

Drop door into channel...
push closed...
connection made...
DONE

Cost: £2.88 from maplin

ianjpage

art b

cool ive never seen a wooden plug
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

FUBAR

Quoting: art b
cool ive never seen a wooden plug

LOL now I think of it it does look like that doesn't it

F Body

Drop door into channel...
push closed...
connection made...
DONE

Cost: £2.88 from maplin

ianjpage

another job for this w/end then

FUBAR

Stainless Hinge & fixings were finally ordered today after they eventually came back to me with a price.  They should be delivered on Friday.

I didn't order the handle mountings in the end... too much for me to lay out.

ianjpage

OK cool no problems - we can think about what we wanna do with em then - main thing is having a hinge back on it!!

FUBAR

Ian, I think its safe to say that:

A: The stuff will NOT be delivered tomorrow.
B: getting to the barn will be a nightmare in the truck (Brackley - Halse in particular as we're almost guaranteed to get stuck somewhere)
C: Working on the BBQ this weekend is probably not a good idea...

Thoughts please...

ianjpage

Ian, I think its safe to say that:

A: The stuff will NOT be delivered tomorrow.
B: getting to the barn will be a nightmare in the truck (Brackley - Halse in particular as we're almost guaranteed to get stuck somewhere)
C: Working on the BBQ this weekend is probably not a good idea...

Thoughts please...

I'd say play it by ear and see how the weather goes today....

wouldn't mind going up there as need to drop the rent in as well but if weather is not good then so be it....

ianjpage

welll it snowing still BUT the latest report says snow to stop and then no more till sunday....and it should be  awhole +1 deg c tomorrow.......

if we can go then i wouldn't mind going up but if weather means we cant go then so be it....have to find summat else to do to occupy my saturday

Titsy

Seems odd talking about BBQ's in this weather...

ianjpage

seeing as it still severl inch's and is freezing solid ( well you would at -4 ) think we'll not bother tomorow ryan!

FUBAR

Quoting: ianjpage
think we'll not bother tomorow

Lay-in FTW!!

ianjpage

Lay-in

wots this lay-in you talk of

FUBAR

ianjpage

lol 13.24 - only just got up then i take it!!

FUBAR

Ze stuff has arrived
- 1 Fekkin mahoosive stainless Hinge this thing is proper industrial
- 200 each of Stainless M6 30mm Socket Button head bolts + Spring washers & Nylocks..

Nylocks eh... not exactly what I ordered given the heat but thats what the invoice said so its muggins here's fault for not reading it properly...  reckon thats going to be a problem?
I have spring washers to keep the nuts in place when the nylock bit melts though...
Thoughts please...

Titsy

reckon thats going to be a problem?

Not if you pick all the nylon out...

art b

melt the nylon out with a blow torch....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

ianjpage