Bloody Van Trouble

Started by ianjpage, September 10, 2007, 05:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

Grrrr not happy boy tonight - took the caravan back to storage tonight - towed fine all the way there.....Parked up..........sorted caravan - drove home..

Hmm red battery light on the dash - wots up there.....hmm oonly 10v reading on gauge...

Get home - check the battery while revving engine - a whopping 11.8 volts ...

Think the alternator is fecked juss what i bloody need now - more expense when trying to save money ready for the move

Arse arse arse arse arse arse arse

anyone know of any cheap, second hand alternators ? ?

Cant take it out to refurb as i still need to use the van to run round in ATM...so gunna have to find a cheap replacement, have that refurbed if needed then swop em over - great feckin fun  -  not!!

Roadkill

I'm guessing the alternator on the (my) Camaro is different . . ?

You could borrow that, NP.

philoldsmobile

re-nu in murdoch road, bedford, can reconditon, prob a lot cheaper than a new one

i seem to recall £60 ish being typical

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill

I'm guessing the alternator on the (my) Camaro is different . . ?

Erm i dunno....any pics of it to see if same (as you prob get better pics than i would under then tightness of engine cover)

Mucho appreciate if it is the same!

Quoting: philoldsmobile

re-nu in murdoch road, bedford, can reconditon, prob a lot cheaper than a new one

Yeah BUT (and theres always the but) i would need something to go in its place as cant run the van without an alternator....and need it for work....

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
any pics of it

Hang on . . .

Roadkill

Try this :

I've got some others at different angles . . .

ianjpage

hmmm looks similar - think it may not have the front fan blade affair on it tho....will check tomorrow fer sure

I've got some others at different angles . . .

lol getting all arty then hehehe

Roadkill

O.K, let us know.

I'm guessing the fan blades wouldn't matter ?

F Body

Bummer Mate hope you get it sorted

Jamieg285

What belt system do you have?  Dean's alt was serp, and I couldn't use it when I borrow it as I needed V-belt.  (We tried to swap the pulley's, but that bugger's on tight!)

If it is the same alt, but you need v-belt, I have a spare you can borrow.

EDGE

it could just be the voltage regulator, that's what it was on my truck

ianjpage

O.K, let us know.

I'm guessing the fan blades wouldn't matter ?

will do - i dunno cos it may alter the mouting points ??

Quoting: Jamieg285

What belt system do you have? Dean's alt was serp, and I couldn't use it when I borrow it as I needed V-belt. (We tried to swap the pulley's, but that bugger's on tight!)

i think its a serp system as goes round the whole wngine (1 long belt) and has the |_|_|_|_| type profile ?

Quoting: EDGE

it could just be the voltage regulator, that's what it was on my truck

Pass - any easy way to check (dont forget the van now done 190,000 miles!)

ianjpage

And it just gets better - not!!!

Left for work this morning - battery reading about 12v on the meter, no problems i thought - ha big mistake!!

It started couhging and juddering when under accleration, then started shifting gears reallllly hard.......got out to little village called Sevenhampton on back road's after crawling along at 30 for a while  and just as i got to the hill leading into sevenhampton the thing totaly died on me  - so im now going downhill at about 30 with no engine which means no power steering, no power brakes, no lights....hmm not good....

managed to pull over into a side road and tried starting it - totally fecking dead, so called the aa out.

He got to me in about 45 mins, did few checks - yup alternator totally knkacered not charging at all now, so charged battery for about 15 mins from his van, and put in an additional power source into the cig socket to get me home - managed JUST to get home - it died again as i turned to go onto drive (drained his power thing and my battery!)

Thankfully (i thought) 'cos we got the relay plus thing i can get a hire car for 48 hrs ....so we went over to Avis to get hire car - no cant help as dont have a Credit card, only got debit card's......arse arse arse....

So i now need to very quickly work out where i can get alternator from or work out how to get the other one repaired quick smart and also work out how the feck im gunna get around....

Hmm is it monday still

EDGE

bad turn of events dude... call usauto, they may have something on the shelf that you can have tonight if you can get it from northant's to you....

Jamieg285

i think its a serp system as goes round the whole wngine (1 long belt) and has the |_|_|_|_| type profile ?

Yep, that Serp.

Means I can't help - Sorry.

Hope you find something else soon.

ianjpage

Quoting: EDGE

bad turn of events dude... call usauto, they may have something on the shelf that you can have tonight if you can get it from northant's to you....

Yeah been trying them - be fine if they ansad the freekin phone

Quoting: Jamieg285

Yep, that Serp.

Means I can't help - Sorry.

ok cheers - no worries!

F Body

dont forget the van now done 190,000 miles!

PhilO would tell you that it's only just run in then  

Hope you get it sorted

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body

PhilO would tell you that it's only just run in then

lol yeah well dohnut did have a few more miles on it (about 210,000 tot if i member)

Quoting: F Body

Hope you get it sorted

Yeah me too!!!

Roadkill

My one's for a serp system.

You could maybe back-space it to compensate ?

Failing that I could run the Supra back and start using the Caddy again ?

ianjpage

My one's for a serp system.

You could maybe back-space it to compensate ?

Gunna rip the bloody thing out tonight and take a look

Failing that I could run the Supra back and start using the Caddy again ?

Nah dont worry about it mate hopefully wont come to that!!

ianjpage

Wholly crap - USAutos got in in stock however its 250 quid plus postage

Time to find a cheaper one or refurb this one!

Incursus

Wholly crap - USAutos got in in stock   however its 250 quid plus postage    

Time to find a cheaper one or refurb this one!

You tried JWR yet? probably the same but you never know...

ianjpage

Quoting: Incursus

You tried JWR yet? probably the same but you never know...

Nope not yet - u got their tel no to hand?

Incursus

F Body

however its 250 quid plus postage

and Postage ain't gonna be cheap on something that heavy

I often wonder where USless Automotive dream up some of their prices