Triple Damn

Started by Jamieg285, January 22, 2006, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

I don't know when to stop  

Tried to tune up the carb...

Altered the idle mixture screws, for what looks like an improvement. Removed the sight plug for the primaries, and fuel pisses out - no problem I think, just need to adjust the float levels.  Undo the float adjuster, and it doesn't seem to adjust - and fuel pisses out of there too.  Left it as low as I could and tightened it back up as tight as possible, but it's still weeping fuel.

Anyone got a spare Holley or any spares I could borrow?

Cunning Plan

its always the way, fix something, something else goes or what your trying to repair gets 100 times worse
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

even my brand new holley on the cutlass was prone to weaping fuel from the float adjusters. Holleys are simply horrible carbs.

Jamieg285

I'm thinking of trying to do a rebuild over a weekend, and if that don't work, bin it and stick on a new Edelbrock.

philoldsmobile

the edlebrock is a much better carb, but then it is £100 more expensive, so it should be..

my holley was problems from the moment it came out of the box.

55starchief

There is only one carb guys, and its neither a holley or an edelbrock

Demon all the way, simply a carb in a different class

philoldsmobile

and a different wallet...

Jamieg285

Quoting: philoldsmobile
and a different wallet...

and certainly not mine, especially as I don't want a carb, I want to go EFI - shame I ain't got a couple of £K spare to sort it properly this time round.

philoldsmobile

efi is the way forward - no carb in the world can offer the drivability of EFU, although some of the best carbs come close..

its simply progress, thats why ripping off efi to fit a carb is just stupid..

Jamieg285

Good News

Debbie knows me better than I do.  I told of my plan to try and recondition the current one, and resort to a new one if that doesn't work...

She said, I'd only screw up this one even more, so I should just be done with it and get a new one anyway - 1st time I've had complete approval for spending on the car since I got it

Incursus

Quoting: philoldsmobile
Holleys are simply horrible carbs.

Have no problems with mine.....(crosses fingers, toes and touches wood)

Huh huh I said wood....sorry

But saying that the 360 (when it gets orderd) probably wont have one...

Whatever Andy recomends at the end of the day tbh (within budget constraints ofc)  

Incursus

Quoting: Jamieg285
She said, I'd only screw up this one even more, so I should just be done with it and get a new one anyway - 1st time I've had complete approval for spending on the car since I got it

You have a good woman there  

Jamieg285

Quoting: incursus
You have a good woman there

I think it helped when I quoted under £300.

Incursus

I think it helped when I quoted under £300.

for a carb?

Mine was £50

Jamieg285

Mine was £50

What was it, and where was it from?

Is that new or 2nd hand?

Incursus

What was it, and where was it from?

Is that new or 2nd hand?

Holley 600cfm 4bbl

Flea bay.com

2nd hand.  Which if your planning to 'upgrade' to EFI would seem to be logical?

Jamieg285

Yes and no.  Going 2nd hand, I could end up with something no better than I've already got.

At least if I buy new, I know it'll be spot on.  I can track the mileage and in the 3-5 years time when I upgrade it'll be more sellable with the the known usage from new.

FUBAR

At least if I buy new, I know it'll be spot on

Thats exactly why I got the one I did, I just wanted the car to work again, a quick easy fix, which is exactly what its been in the end.  Yes its reconned but its probably better than the new ones 18 years ago.  Its certainly made a world of difference to the running!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

As you can see its a shop with guarantee didn't check feed back but looked good at a glance.

Worldwide shipping as well

Incursus

Free mouse mat as well.....

Jamieg285

Free mouse mat as well.....

Sold me

art b

She said, I'd only screw up this one even more, so I should just be done with it and get a new one anyway

debs knows that it will save ya time and money,
shes seen it all b4,
they know that were not as clever as we pretend we are!!

i say i'll be done in two hours !
lyn says see you in four,

usualy finished in five DOH
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

55starchief

Well if it was me i would go with a speed demon, prices are around the $300, best to email andy if your interested as he gets better prices