Crap . . . the OIL light's on . . .

Started by Roadkill, October 08, 2007, 05:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Noticed the oil light was on in the ('58) Caddy last night after filling up after the meet.

Didn't come on this morning when I drove her to work but she was a struggle to get going . . .

When I left work tonight she fired up with a LARGE cloud of blueish smoke . . . and the oil light didn't go off.
There was no oil underneath her and she appeared to have plenty in her.

I gently drove to Castle Roadkill #2 and parked up . . . . I left about 20 minutes later, again leaving a cloud of smoke (yes, more then normal) but the oil light went out.

At the moment (after giving the Supra back to Ian last night) she's my only 100% legal car to drive for work.

IDEAS !!! ???

What do you think it is ? . . . . I  have my theories but want additional input . .

55starchief

if the oil light is coming on its got no oil pressure

Im gonna guess at rings and a spun bearing on the mains

philoldsmobile

i'd check for blocked breathers first off...

low oil pressure and smoke dont often go hand in hand, is the engine knocking? the smoke on startup would prob leave me looking at valve stem oil seals, or a broken piston ring (bore wear wouldn't come on suddenly)

neither of these things affect oil pressure, the single biggest cause of low oil pressure is worn crank or big end bearings, or a worn oil pump..

sometimes if a breather is blocked, it can cause crank case pressure, and force oil past the piston rings.. as it can affect scavenging, it could cause pressure problems i guess.....

dunno really, bit of an odd one..

ianjpage

ahh cr*p not good - if you need it mate the supra's yours again....

Roadkill

I've already checked the breather . . . It's working fine.

I know it's not general wear . .  I guessed at a broken ring (or two) and suspected a F*cked bearing . . although didn't want to admit it.

The strange thing is it's happened at the same time . . or as good as . .

Haven't noticed any new noises . . . . although she is obviously kinda noisy as it is . . .

art b

id say ya oil pumps gone west........broken shaft or wear and tear...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: art b
id say ya oil pumps gone west........broken shaft or wear and tear...

Why would that burn oil, though ?

Pod

Quoting: Roadkill
What do you think it is ?

Something to do with the oil. Almost certain of that.

Alternatively:

Step 1 - Start it up and rev the nuts off it.

Step 2 - If it blows up, you know that something really was majorly wrong and step 1 was a bad idea.

F Body

Since you have a remote oil filter it won't be hard to put an oil pressure gauge into the line, that way you'll know if it's a pressure problem or not

sixpack2639

Quoting: F Body
put an oil pressure gauge into the line

That'd be my first action! Make sure you have pressure!

Although, if you drove it for more than a couple of miles with the light on, i'd say you have a bad sending unit.

If it didn't have pressure it would have seized for sure!

Incursus

Quoting: Pod
Something to do with the oil. Almost certain of that.  

Alternatively:

Step 1 - Start it up and rev the nuts off it.

Step 2 - If it blows up, you know that something really was majorly wrong and step 1 was a bad idea.

HardRockCamaro

Indeed, doesn't the oil pressure light only come on for less than 6psi of oil which means it isn't even enough pressure to protect the engine while idling much less driving for several miles?

art b

rings, spring to mind with the burning oil, pull plugs check for for oily ones,
and a compression test would be easiest/cheapest trial,
hope the plugs are accesible id assume theres some room in that massive engine bay...

Roadkill

Quoting: art b
hope the plugs are accesible

6/8 are fairly easy . . . . . . it seems to be the right bank which is the issue for the burning oil . . . .

55starchief

Its probably mor coincidence that the oil pressure and smoke are at the same time.

As said last night almost definatly a ring causing the smoking as for the oil pressure a failing pump or a blocked oil passage could cause the light to come on also a spun bearing.  I have known of instances that a motor can loose oil pressure on a dyno when the oil pump cant feed the motor at a set RPM but be fine lower down.

The main problem is that none of this can really be seen without tearing the motor down

Motorama

just give it an oil and filter change, turn up the radio and keep enjoying driving it..... you were gonna tear the motor down and re do it any ways

FUBAR

Quoting: Motorama
turn up the radio

The radio would have to turn up first... its currently at Graeme's...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

Quoting: FUBAR

would have to be fookin loud too

55starchief

Quoting: FUBAR

well i do have the valves now that was the hardest part still need to get the caps, gonna have to have some of them custom made though just havnt got of my as and sent the spec's to my supplier

Motorama

55starchief

F Body

put an oil pressure gauge into the line

Oil Pressure gauge for the win

Roadkill

Oil Pressure gauge for the win

I don't have one . . .

Jamieg285

I have a spare sender and guage - but I'm away for another week.