General question regarding Locks and favour for Carl !

Started by Roadkill, October 16, 2007, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Currently the '85's drivers door doesn't lock via the key . . and the passenger door "half locks" - although only occasionally.

The central locking works from the switch inside the car, but not from the outside (probably 'cos the lock doesn't turn far enough on the pass. side ???)

Question:

Am I right in thinking that this is a problem with the lock barrels and not any of the mechanism behind the lock ?

Side note:

The ignition barrel is also a bit sloppy (but works fine . . . . )

Favour for Carl:

If I'm right in blaming the locks can I order the below when I get paid ?

They look like a bargain and should solve all my problems . . . And allow me to lock the car !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280011843093&rd=1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280011843093&rd=1

I thank you.

55starchief

Looking at those lock barrels they are identicle to the ones on my 55

Motorama

Quoting: 55starchief
Looking at those lock barrels they are identicle to the ones on my 55

i thought that too, they havent changed much over the years

55starchief

Quoting: Motorama

i thought that too, they havent changed much over the years

i guess they wanted to get their money out of the design

philoldsmobile

hey deano, how about this for an option...

is the car equipped with power locks?

if so, i have a sparkrite remote alarm here, still boxed, that i bought for the camaro, but never fitted, and deemed insufficient for the stang. with a central locking interface you can have remote locks, the interface is still available and costs  about £25

if you want the alarm, its available...

philoldsmobile

ahh, generic GM lock barrels.. with just colour and trim differences, they are the same as those fitted right up untill the early 90's, and look the same as those fitted to the doors on the 4th gen right up to its very last day!!

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
is the car equipped with power locks?

Define power locks ?

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
Define power locks ?

When you push the button inside the car that says lock it locks both doors and goes clunk :)

(Like my 3rd gen)
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

ditto the stang..

the key only unlocks one door at a time, there is a button inside (on both doors) that locks or unlocks the whole car... these are power locks as opposed to central locks

most yanks are set up this way.

Roadkill

There's a switch on the drivers door only that locks / unlocks boths doors . . . Also there is the usual chrome knob on top on the door card on both doors . .

55starchief

From memory those barrels can be disassembled mate and cleaned. The barrel its self wont make the central locking operate there will be a lever on the mechanism that will operate a switch.

Roadkill

For the sake of £20 at least I'd have all-new locks . . and matching keys.

At the moment I have three keys - all doing something different . . .

philoldsmobile

There's a switch on the drivers door only that locks / unlocks boths doors . . . Also there is the usual chrome knob on top on the door card on both doors . .

thats the kiddy, you got power locks..

no difference to the barrels as greame said, but it means there are solenoids in there to fire the locks..

i'd go for an ebay remote central locking kit, and not worry about using the door locks at all..

this will do ya...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-UPGRADE-REMOTE-KEYLESS-FOR-CENTRAL-LOCK_W0QQitemZ230179417014QQihZ013QQcategoryZ75329QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-UPGRADE-REMOTE-KEYLESS-FOR-CENTRAL-LOCK_W0QQitemZ230179417014QQihZ013QQcategoryZ75329QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

philoldsmobile

in fact, i might get one of those for the stang.. not worried about an alarm, no one takes any notice of them, and my insurance doesn't ask for one, just want keyless entry

Roadkill

Could someone fit that for me for Beer if I brought it ?

I don't do electrics.

55starchief

Could someone fit that for me for Beer if I brought it ?

hell why not mate, need to check the existing wiring to make sure its not  a door motor thats gone 1st though

philoldsmobile

i'm guessing thats gonna be absolute childs play to fit..

oddly i was thinking about remote locking when i was fumbling with keys in the rain today....

philoldsmobile

easy test on the electrics, when you hit the button, do both doors lock and unlock?.. if they do, yer good to go with that kit!

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
do both doors lock and unlock?..

On the button inside ? - Yeah, 99% sure - but I'll check tomorrow (or when it's stopped pi$$ing down).

sixpack2639

Question:

Am I right in thinking that this is a problem with the lock barrels and not any of the mechanism behind the lock ? YES

Favour for Carl:

If I'm right in blaming the locks can I order the below when I get paid ? OF COURSE
They look like a bargain and should solve all my problems . . . And allow me to lock the car !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280011843093&rd=1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280011843093&rd=1

Although, i'd hose em down with WD40 first. They're probably just gummed up and stuck from non-use.

I've not found a lock cylinder WD40 won't fix!!

Not yet anyway...

BTW.....Those locks will take care of the ignition and doors but what about the glove box and boot??????

Roadkill

Quoting: sixpack2639
but what about the glove box and boot??????

Glove box has no lock and the boot is got a power release / closer.

But, yeah, I would need to keep that key in case that failed . . .

55starchief

Quoting: sixpack2639

Although, i'd hose em down with WD40 first. They're probably just gummed up and stuck from non-use.

I've not found a lock cylinder WD40 won't fix!!

Yup my thought exactly, i would simply pull the locks apart and clean them up 1st. Having seen they are the same design as the pontiac thats all i did when they wouldnt work on that

55starchief

If that dont work i can lend you the small compressor and you can pressure the lock up and force grease or any other lub into it that way.

If its well and trully seized try some penatrating oil like plus gas 1st

sixpack2639

Quoting: 55starchief
If its well and trully seized try some penatrating oil like plus gas 1st

Or PB Blaster!