Help?

Started by Sammy Lou, November 25, 2007, 11:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy Lou

ok well, the problem is the last couple of mornings my lovely MX5 has had trouble starting and Dean has had to jump start it, however once it is started it has no problems i can even use lights and heating.

Dean has said it could be one of two things 1. The battery needs replacing or 2. The alternater needs replacing. He thinls it is more likely the battery as the car only has trouble starting and is fine while running, but i thought it might be wise to see what others may know.

55starchief

Yup replace the battery, its probably got a weak cell and the cold weather will show that real quick. Winter kills a lot of batteries as they have to work harder when its cold

philoldsmobile

there are a couple of ways to test for the alternator....

the best way is to put a multimeter acrosss the battery terminals with the engine running, it should read about 13v at idle.. revving the engine should make the voltage rise to 14

without a multimeter, start the car and leave it idling. turn on the headlights and look at them, as you rev the engine, they should get a little brighter..

chances are its the battery, alternators last typically about 100,000 miles...

sixpack2639

It's more than likely a bad battery Sammy. Most cars nowadays alternator output is typically 13.5-14.5 volts if working properly. If you turn the motor off and switch the headlights on for 15 minutes and the car won't start, the battery has a bad cell and needs replacing. You could also check with your local auto parts place and they should have a "Load Tester" which will test the battery and the charging system as well. It looks like this....

Hope that helps, Carl

Rocky

philoldsmobile

seems pretty unanimous

Sammy Lou

it seems that it doesnt want to start when it is frosty

55starchief

Quoting: Sammy Lou

it seems that it doesnt want to start when it is frosty

Batteries are made of individual cells joined together, when a cell fails the others still work but in cold temps they cant supply the current to start the motor

F Body

Operator Error

or

Battery

Incursus

Quoting: F Body
Operator Error

As I said on Friday sounds like your flattery's becked

Rob

Put a multimeter across the terminals whilst engine running.  Turn everything on in the car and if the voltage is gradually dropping then the battery is not holding charge.  You can try topping it up if it has removable caps but it may be a maintenance free one, in which case you're gonna have to bin it.....

ianjpage

yeah wot they all said - new battery!

Sammy Lou

Operator Error

art b

new battery time for all them old uns....they dont like the cold,
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

I think Motorserv will do a free test for ya...

55starchief

Those load type testers kill more weak batteries than tell you anything

Jamieg285

If it makes you feel any better, I think I'm in the same boat

Battery looks like it has died whilst at Rocky's.  I'll stick on charge over night and see if it improves matters, but I think it's past it.

Anyone got any recommendations on places to get batteries?

Roadkill

I can't believe no-one has used the smiley here.

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
I can't believe no-one has used the

We can't believe that you haven't bought  a new battery yet

Mind you Christmas is only four weeks away

Roadkill

We can't believe that you haven't bought a new battery yet

I called around and got prices for one, but as it's an import they needed to see the old one to be sure . . . Sammy was at work at the time.

T'is the best I can do until Sammy's free . . .

Mind you Christmas is only four weeks away

N'ah, ain't doing Christmas anymore . . . my shallow religious beliefs have all dried up.  Stuff Christmas . . . New Year's more my thing.

55starchief

N'ah, ain't doing Christmas anymore . . . my shallow religious beliefs have all dried up. Stuff Christmas . . . New Year's more my thing.

Ah so you have seen the light, have hated christmas for 32 years myself, For all i care you could cancel the whol stupid thing

Roadkill

I've never really been "In to it", just going through the motions as it were.

This year is just the first year I'm actively going against the flow and not buying cards / presents etc . . .

Easter's out, too.  :scrooge:

55starchief

I've never really been "In to it", just going through the motions as it were.

This year is just the first year I'm actively going against the flow and not buying cards / presents etc . . .

Easter's out, too. :scrooge:

I think we need to form an alliance, maybe we will get funding from europe as minorities

art b

Quoting: 55starchief
I think we need to form an alliance, maybe we will get funding from europe as miserys

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
maybe we will get funding from europe as minorities

Do you think the government will build me a mansion temple of (my) worship at taxpayers expense to keep me happy ?

They seem to do it with all the other minorities . . . and they still complain.