65 Beetle kicks Porsche 997 at the Pod.

Started by F Body, November 26, 2007, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

A 1965 Beetle has embarrassed a Porsche 997 Carerra S by taking it on the drag strip at Santa Pod.

The driver of the battered looking gold Bug told the Porsche driver to race him, a challenge he gladly took up.

But the turbocharged Beetle flew down the strip in 11.04 seconds with a terminal speed of 129.77 MPH against the Porsche's E.T. of 13.18 seconds and terminal speed of 113.03 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/v/XH-FSmxdzZE\">http://www.youtube.com/v/XH-FSmxdzZE\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\">

Martin Greaves, driver and owner of the Beetle, said of his win: 'I am delighted. After achieving the 10.88 seconds in the morning, I told the owner of the Porsche that he should race me. I said I thought it would be close, but that he was going to win because my car's only a Beetle.'

The Bug has a 2276cc engine with a 650cfm Holley and Turbo Dynamics reconditioned draw through turbo set up.

ianjpage

Big Mouse

I wish I had a tenner for everyone I've seen suckered in like that by thinking that because they have a 'designer' car they can beat something old and ugly.

I watched once as Binky had a race with a Ferrari at the pod one day in his LT1 camaro; good for high 11's. The italian lad in the fezzer (yep, he was from bedford) actually apologised before the race and hoped he didn't win by too much of a margin so "it won't put people off racing me "

Dummy.

I got offered a race with a nissan skyline one day but he thought it unfair as he had a 3.4l engine and mine was only a 2.8 (saw the Z28 badge on the wing) litre engine. Obviously his hearing was not his strongest point as the car was ticking over at the time.

He did get the hump when I handed him a card with 'Your car is now ownd by Chevrolet' about 9 and a bit seconds later

ianjpage

Quoting: Big Mouse

He did get the hump when I handed him a card with 'Your car is now ownd by Chevrolet' about 9 and a bit seconds later

Roadkill

Cool stuff.

And.

I watched once as Binky had a race with a Ferrari at the pod one day in his LT1 camaro; good for high 11's. The italian lad in the fezzer (yep, he was from bedford) actually apologised before the race and hoped he didn't win by too much of a margin so "it won't put people off racing me "

That's well worth a

I got offered a race with a nissan skyline one day but he thought it unfair as he had a 3.4l engine and mine was only a 2.8 (saw the Z28 badge on the wing) litre engine. Obviously his hearing was not his strongest point as the car was ticking over at the time.

That's a and a

55starchief

Just think of the fun you can have withg your twin turbo Z28, plus its gonna handle good to boot

Shifty

These stories are worthless, a heavily modified car V a standard vehicle.

Lets see, with a bit of time and money I could probably make a skip go down the strip quicker than a Fiat Ferrari.

Of course that would make my skip superior right,

Wrong, it just means my heavily modified vehicle is quicker than a standard vehicle in a straight line.

I would just like to add, in anything other than a straight line the Fiat Ferrari, Porsche and Skyline would have their racing counterparts as these vehicles are designed for all round speed not just going in a straight line.

The Porsche and Fiat Ferrari owners were fools, if anyone with a sheddy looking car came to me and asked for a race I would instantly cotton on it was a set up, I would also never presume my vehicle is the quickest on the road and challenge someone else to a race either.

Rant over.

Roadkill

Quoting: Shifty
The Porsche and Fiat Ferrari owners were fools

I think that was the point of the post, mate.  Not so much as who's was fastest more about how up themselves these people are.

I agree, you can modify anything to go faster but can't help but chuckle imagining the looks on the guys faces.

55starchief

These stories are worthless, a heavily modified car V a standard vehicle.

Lets see, with a bit of time and money I could probably make a skip go down the strip quicker than a Fiat Ferrari.

Of course that would make my skip superior right,

Wrong, it just means my heavily modified vehicle is quicker than a standard vehicle in a straight line.

I would just like to add, in anything other than a straight line the Fiat Ferrari, Porsche and Skyline would have their racing counterparts as these vehicles are designed for all round speed not just going in a straight line.

The Porsche and Fiat Ferrari owners were fools, if anyone with a sheddy looking car came to me and asked for a race I would instantly cotton on it was a set up, I would also never presume my vehicle is the quickest on the road and challenge someone else to a race either.

Rant over.

Yup agree with you on this entirely, i do how ever think that deano's z28 would be a more equal comparison as it should handle well on a track as well as a straight line. When we had the westfield it owned a few fiatferrari's,porsches etc in its day but then again its a small lightweight car so it should.

Big Mouse

you may not but there are plenty of people who do, santa pod is full of them every RWYB

But point missed. This wasn't bench racing or bragging rights, this was about two people who thought they had quick cars simply because they had spent a lot of money to buy them and the brochure/car mags said they were quick. They simply learnt that quick street cars aren't necessarily quick on the strip..

...and it was them that that wanted to race; they were both told they would lose before they even got to the startline but chose instead to believe the hype they had read about their respective vehicles. Any petrolhead would have spotted what they were picking on and what the result was going to be. The nissan owner wanted to put £20 on it; I told him it would cost me more than that in nitrous to get down the track and to put his money towards a quicker car. He still didn't believe he would get beat.

And if you think that just because my car is capable of 8 second quarter miles it won't go around corners then you need to think again! I think Philo or Ian can vouch for the fact that while it may not corner like a porsche it certainly corners and handles as well as any standard saloon on the road and better than a lot - even with a spool rear end.

Not all racers are 16 yr old american schoolboys in front of a computer screen

ianjpage

I think Philo or Ian can vouch for the fact that while it may not corner like a porsche it certainly corners and handles as well as any standard saloon on the road and better than a lot - even with a spool rear end.

indeed it does