awesome place in wilts

Started by art b, November 26, 2007, 05:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

ianjpage

55starchief

I have a sneaking suspicion i have been in there as my grand father used to manage that facility. Will ask him when he gets back off holiday at the weekend if that was the facility. I know they used to live in corsham and i cant believe there are too many places like that around there. All i remember is going down in this elevator for what seemed like an eternity and walking for what seemed like miles

Gator

good to see the government was thinking of how to maintain their control after they had incinerated us all

Roadkill

Quoting: Gator
good to see the government was thinking of how to maintain their control after they had incinerated us all

But

Kenny

That's sweet.  Would be cool to own a place like that!  would need to find a white cat though...

Roadkill

Quoting: Kenny
would need to find a white cat though...

Muwahahahahaaaa . . . . . Muwahahahahaaaa . . . . .

Big Mouse

It could only happen in the UK - places like this that could be a major tourist (and local) attraction and they keep it closed up. It looks in better condition that the german hospital on Jersey and thats packed with paying customers all year round.

Quoting: 55starchief
i cant believe there are too many places like that around there

you'd be amazed whats hidden under big areas of the wiltshire downs; its not just MoD because the school of artillery are based there - one well placed missile and we'd have a hole 50 miles wide

55starchief

Quoting: Big Mouse

you'd be amazed whats hidden under big areas of the wiltshire downs; its not just MoD because the school of artillery are based there - one well placed missile and we'd have a hole 50 miles wide

Yeah your right, my dad seems to think we went to a different location. The MOD used a lot of old quaries in that area. All i know is as an 11 yr old it was the coolest thing ever to go into a underground world.

Allanv

there be one under Bristol as well under lawrence hill area.

http://urbanmainframe.com/forum/urbex_forum/topic.asp?thread=57\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://urbanmainframe.com/forum/urbex_forum/topic.asp?thread=57

dont forget the bunkers under the downs as well

Pod

Quoting: ianjpage
wow never knew of that!!

Isn't that the whole point of a secret underground city?

I think MKB should buy somewhere like that. How cool would that be?

55starchief

Quoting: Pod
Isn't that the whole point of a secret underground city?

Yup, the place i went to looked like a huge office complex on the surface

Big Mouse

Did you know there was a smaller version of it in Weedon between Milton Keynes and Daventry? Mostly used as an arms and admin store up unitl the 60's I believe but nearly all of it underground

If jo public knoew have of what was buried under their feet they'd have a fit. Years ago I was working on the new personel housing at RAF USAF Upper Heyford; just a fighter bomber base, no missiles or anything nasty like that we were told. At the time there was all the rubbish going on about Greenham Comon having crusie missiles delivered.

Got to the gates one morning, had my id in my hand showing the gate guard when the siren went off; he looked over my shoulder, went wide eyed and started with the 'oh my god's'. I looked over to where he was looking where the 'fuel tanks' are stored underground.  Twin plumes of steam was shooting out of one of the hatches, which had inexplicably opened on a hinge, about 200ft into the air at high pressure.

Got the day off while the 'safety of the site was re-established'. next day they said it was a fuel leak and nothing to worry about.

Fuel tanks? yeah right.

55starchief

There was a small bunker in brackley on the school field.

One of the guys i knew at school had a key for it as he belonged to something like the civil air defence? they used to have a blue military style uniform from memory not sure if its still around?.

Anyways it had about 12 bunks down there and some kind of direct line phone system. This thing was aboout 20ft underground through a couple of hatches

More cold war relics i guess

55starchief

Well what do you kow after a little research that is the place i went to. It was also known as RNSD Copenacre Spring quary. The Royal Navy Stores Department (RNSD) is lower left on the map. This was the section my grandfather was in charge of.

Titsy

there's one in salcey forest too...

F Body

I've been to the Kelvedon Hatch Bunker in Essex which I believe is the bigest one open to the public

http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/

Roadkill

This is so cool.  I never knew of any of these.

Yes, I know they WERE secret - but even the "open to public" ones . . .

art b

ive been in lots of secret bunkers,
mostly under fire and police stations, civil defence centres, we used to do a lot of work in them,
also been in some of the rural listening stations,that were to be used to monitor the amount of nuclear fall out in the event of a strike on the uk.these tend to be small mounds of earth, in little compounds in the countryside,

we used to fit the air raid sirens[yep they still exist] one day i ran one up to full speed [as ya do] to see how it sounded.............shit it was loud

...so loud that it ended up in the local paper ! as some folk thought we had gone to war....................got a bollicking for that one ....pmsl  

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill

This is so cool. I never knew of any of these.

Check this guys site, i found it whilst trying to figure if it was the secret location i had gone too

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan-turnbull/secret.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan-turnbull/secret.htm

55starchief

Quoting: art b
we used to fit the air raid sirens[yep they still exist] one day i ran one up to full speed [as ya do] to see how it sounded.............shit it was loud

I can remember their being one on the towerblock at school, same site as the bunker mentioned earlier

art b

cool site that

but surely the  "Secret" M1 Junction at Hartwell, Salcey Forest" is just a link from one side of the m way to the other....

55starchief

Quoting: art b
cool site that

Yeah i emailed it to my grand father as he loves things like that, we have a map of the naval docks in singapore from when he was stationed their back in the late 50's and again early 60's

Rob

A friend of mine's late father worked on Milton Keynes Station whilst that was being constructed.  There is supposed to be something under there.  He also talked of a tunnel under the A5 whilst that was constructed (for those who remember it) at roughly the same time.

Big Mouse

Quoting: Rob
A friend of mine's late father worked on Milton Keynes Station whilst that was being constructed. There is supposed to be something under there. He also talked of a tunnel under the A5 whilst that was constructed (for those who remember it) at roughly the same time.

A little something to make you all think - drive along the A5 from Stacey Bushes towards Bletchley. Check your phone signal. As you drive towards the city centre keep an eye on it (and the road!!) Watch it drop through the floor as you go past the station then pick up again as you get to the next set of bridges.

cue Twighlight Zone theme tune

Of course it good just be that I've got a crap phone