In-car fan - Lack of Knowledge ?

Started by Cunning Plan, December 07, 2007, 04:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

It amazes me how many people dont seem to be able to use a car's cabin fan properly.  

The amount of times ive been in a car where the fan isn't on the right setting for the application or the vents are set up wrong.  For example, I was out in my buddies car last night, the windscreen started to mist up in the rain, so as expected he turns the blower direction onto the demist setting, so thats all good.  But then he turns the heat right up and the fan on its lowest setting.  I didn't say anything but after 5 minutes of the car like a sauna and the windscreen almost completely steamed up I just jokingly said this should help and changed the settings so that the fan was fully on, with the blower on the demist setting and about half heat as it was cold I still wanted to keep the car warm and warm the inside of the screen slightly but not so hot it was stuffy.  Within a minute or so, wow a window you could see out of.

Now I don't think its just 'him' because ive been in a lot of cars where people just don't seem to be able to use the fans properly.  Ive been in cars where the fans have been totally turned off or the vents are off or pointing in a completely random direction, then the owner wondering why the car doesn't warm up quick, or why the air con isn't that good, or why there is a bad smell.  Well if theres just stale air, of course there will be a bad smell, you have to turn your fan on every now and then!!!!!

A bit of a stupid topic this really, but its just something I was thinking last night and wondered if anyone else thinks the same or just doesn't really care  I hate people playing with my vents, sad I know, but I like them all pointing forward and straight and turned fully on, that way the majority of the control can be done from the centre console.

Its like when the car is cold and you want to heat the cabin as soon as possible, its not a great idea to get in, but the fan on full and drive off because you wont get any heat through until the engine has warmed up a little, so all your doing is blowing cold air in and making yourself colder.  In that situation I set the heat to full, put the fan on slowest setting and direct the air where I need it, then when I feel the first warm air coming out, I know I can turn the fan on full to push through the warm air followed by the hot air when the car is up to temp.

And i am not being sexist here or anything by saying I think its OK for girls not to know as most of them dont really understand cars as such, for example my sister used to expect the car to heat up with the engine off but the fan on full but she isnt pratical minded at all.  But guys really should know better, right?  

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

All i can say is climate control for teh win !!!!!!!11111111one

Roadkill

Quoting: Cunning Plan
I hate people playing with my vents, sad I know

Valid topic, IMO . . and yeah, you're 100% correct in what you say.

F Body

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Roadkill
and yeah, you're 100% correct in what you say.

See thats the kind of re-assurance I need..  RK, you validate me.  I validate you as a person too  LOL

Quoting: F Body
Or just open the window

No No NO.  Then you are cold and you are reversing the whole demisting process as whats needed to successfully clear the screen is to warm the car up!  As soon as you become cold and shut the window, the car will steam again without proper vent action.........................  

:geek:

Roadkill

I validate you as a person too

Uh-huh.

If that's validating I'm not interested.

Cunning Plan

If that's validating I'm not interested.

Its the end speech on Maury Povitch..  I validate you guys LOL!!

philoldsmobile

i really hate it when people move the seats about, i take great care in ensuring the passengers seat is level with the drivers, and at the same angle..

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

i really hate it when people move the seats about, i take great care in ensuring the passengers seat is level with the drivers, and at the same angle..

Yup same here but then again i am OCPD

Titsy

Quoting: 55starchief
Yup same here but then again i am OCPD

How long have you been working for the Orange County Police Department...

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Titsy
How long have you been working for the Orange County Police Department.

LOL

But yarrr, that annoys me too, but not as much as the vents..

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
i take great care in ensuring the passengers seat is level with the drivers, and at the same angle..

Dammit, ditto.

I'm thinking of disconnecting the Eldo's passenger seat controls . . .

Damn this is sad . . .

55starchief

Dammit, ditto.

See told you your OCPD like me

Roadkill

art b

ha ha ha ......spot the people with no kids...........
these will be the least of ya worries then,
seats not level,air vents moved,coins dont line up in the ash tray,things moved by no-one,  
some of ya have a few shocks comming .............  
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: art b
some of ya have a few shocks comming .............

Only if we have sprogs, it seems . . .

Kenny

No offence to all you but your all NUTS!

If a passenger gets in my car, i want them to be comfortable... i.e. they can change the seat possition if there taller that the last guy instead of squeezing in to a seat set to migit. and they should move the passanger vents to where they want them, its not as if i care where the passanger vents are facing coz i have my own.

Now if the lil f**ker starts messing with any controls on the center console then they get a slap, but then its my car

but i agree with the fact that alot of people dont know how to defrost a car (AC on with recycle 4tehwin)

Kenny

Quoting: art b
ha ha ha ......spot the people with no kids...........

thats why we let women drive now, so we dont mess up our cars with kids crap

Roadkill

Quoting: Kenny
so we dont mess up our cars with kids crap

and

No offence to all you but your all NUTS!

I don't see a problem, there.

Cunning Plan

but i agree with the fact that alot of people dont know how to defrost a car (AC on with recycle 4tehwin)

Welllllll, although it works as a quick thing, really you want to be warming up the inside of the screen not making it colder becuase as you heat the cabin when the AC is off you have the same problem...

:geek:

If a passenger gets in my car, i want them to be comfortable... i.e. they can change the seat possition if there

Totally agree to this point, but not the vents, leave them alone!!!!!! lol!! The seat can be put back but the vents take time to get them in the exact place they were before..  

Only if we have sprogs, it seems .

I like the imagry in this post..  RK apears to be shooting a small child playing with a toy car..

55starchief

By far the best defrost ever was deano's 3rd gen after we used the AC cooling core as the heater core, less than 2 secs and the car was 110* and the screen clear we were actualy glad to get to the meet and stand out in the cold to cool off

Titsy

Welllllll, although it works as a quick thing, really you want to be warming up the inside of the screen not making it colder becuase as you heat the cabin when the AC is off you have the same problem...

Not so... You want to have the A/C on and the heat up... the A/C drys the air, so while the car is cold it clears the screen, but as soon as it's warmed up the heat is warming up the screen, so when the car is warm you can just switch off the A/C

55starchief

I just set mine to 23* and forget about it

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Titsy
Not so... You want to have the A/C on and the heat up... the A/C drys the air, so while the car is cold it clears the screen, but as soon as it's warmed up the heat is warming up the screen, so when the car is warm you can just switch off the A/C

Conceeded, good explaination!

Cunning Plan

Quoting: 55starchief
I just set mine to 23* and forget about it

What car?