Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...

Started by FUBAR, October 18, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

Front oil seal isn't as bad to change as I thought, and will be even easier once you have the knowledge.

I even have (some) of the right tools for it now

Roadkill

IF petrol mixes with oil it'll thin it, as opposed to water that won't.

Is it possible petrol has got in the pan and mixed with a little oil ?

FUBAR

Quoting: Jamieg285
Front oil seal isn't as bad to change as I thought, and will be even easier once you have the knowledge.

It was leaking from the back though, which is currently uphill from 90% of the engine block
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
Is it possible petrol has got in the pan and mixed with a little oil ?

that is a possibility following last saturday's efforts yes

Jamieg285

We could come up with all sorts of suggestions. We really need to know what's in the drip tray, and how much oil is left in the engine.

FUBAR

tell you what I'll let you guys know tomorrow when i can get a proper look at it.

Ryan

Roadkill

What's happening re moving it to the barn ?

FUBAR

Phil Made a good point yesterday... when we tried the change the fuel pump the return hose wasn't blocked (at that time), it didn't click at the time but there was fuel coming out of it because of the parking angle.  so... when the new carb turns up we can swap that over, drive the car into the Garage & do the rest of the work in there.

(Also good if its leaking Oil as its only got to go about 20 meters

Jamieg285

Did I miss something  - new carb?

FUBAR

Quoting: Jamieg285
Did I miss something - new carb?

Yeah I ordered a remanufactured carb same as the one i've got, the pricey option but me & phil were looking at it last sat & reckoned there's definately something wrong with my carb.  Also this will fix the very annoying Cold Starting choke-broken problem too

Roadkill

FUBAR

should be next week I reckon, its got to come from Cali & I ordered it last sunday

Roadkill

FUBAR

Tried to Start the car this morning in an attempt to move it into the Garage so it can be worked on, but to no avail. it fired 1 cylinder once but that was it, I don't think there's enough umph in the Battery to run the ignition system...

Jamieg285

Battery shouldn't be that flat, you've only been off the road a couple of weeks.

Doom and gloom, you might need a new battery and/or your electrics checked.

FUBAR

Or some Jump Leads...

The battery was (as far as the starter is concerned) flat but it was put on slow charge on sunday night, taken off Last night (cos it was full) only thing is its been in the Garage so is cold.

Jamieg285

If the battery is off, I'd get it checked anyway. It doesn't sound right.

FUBAR

Its Brand new! had it about 6 months as my old one leaked all over the car & dissolved part of the battery tray that was ancient tho

Jamieg285

Maybe it's just not powerful enough?

FUBAR

it's never had any problems before & was the same spec as the last battery just a sealed unit rather than these open types you put stuff in.

Ryan

Jamieg285

Maybe it's not the battery then? Maybe something else??

Did you get round to checking the oil?

FUBAR

Its hard to tell with it not being level but there was more in the tray this morning so I put a bit in before trying to start it.

I really really need this car level & preferably in my Garage so I can work on it

Jamieg285

It's definitely oil in the pan then?  

FUBAR

Not all of it, there was a layer on top of the rainwater, but its definately leaking steadily at the moment

FUBAR

Ooh, anyone know where you can buy PTFE Paste? According to Phil I need some to change the oil pressure sender but Halfords don't sell it.

(btw can't use PTFE tape as the sender earth's through the fitting)