Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...

Started by FUBAR, October 18, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

Ok then you can run a more radical grind with a blower so instaed of the performer with its 204/214 you can run a comp cams ex with 274/285 grind as is the cam i used in the last profile

philoldsmobile

wierd...

that would simply not work at all with a turbo, you'd just throw the mixture right out the exhaust...

FUBAR

Right, Back on topic...

Graeme, i've changed my mind slightly, Although the stroker idea looked good I think i'll go somewhere along this route...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/ryanbudd/DTD305Vortec.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/ryanbudd/DTD305Vortec.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

Basically involves putting $269 a side Vortec Heads on the engine rather than stroking it, it provides more power in the 4500 - 5500 range, keeps a close to original ci on the engine and won't require a Demon Carb as I reckon the Quadrajet I have at the moment will be more than sufficient.

PhilO
From you're knowledge of the Computer-Carb setup can you see any flaws in this plan? I can't see any problems the computer would have with this setup as nothing is too wild but can you?

Graeme 2
I was thinking about the build time, off-the-road time, skills, machining work etc etc needed to do this and thought that, even though it May cost a bit more if I was to speak to Andy and send him the DTD file would he be able to build me the engine? of course with a different / new 305 block...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Jamieg285

Quoting: FUBAR
of course with a different / new 305 block...

If you're going that route, why 305?  A 350 would be a much more sensible option.

The only reason to stay 305 is if you are keeping the current block and associated parts.

FUBAR

Quoting: Jamieg285
If you're going that route, why 305? A 350 would be a much more sensible option.

The only reason to stay 305 is if you are keeping the current block and associated parts.

In anticipation of that question, here's a statement I prepared earlier...

Basically because I don't need too, presuming that Desktop Dyno & that Graph is even just an approximation I can get more than enough power that I need out of a 305 with cheap Bolt-on Parts, basically the only changes are the heads $269each at summit and the intake, cam & timing chain is about $350.

By keeping the 305 it certainly seems like I can get a Torquey (Not Torquay!) 300hp motor and still keep the computer controls & some more of the fuel economy without having to change anything else apart from tuning the Carb slightly. 1hp per cubic Inch seems at least sensible to me.

55starchief

Ok, had a quick look and in my opinion it doesnt look like that cam works with those heads as well as your stock ones.

I dont think andy uses DTD hes more old skool in his engine building also i dont know if you can buy a 305 block? it would have to be a used block.

Did you email barry grant and ask the question?

FUBAR

Quoting: 55starchief
Ok, had a quick look and in my opinion it doesnt look like that cam works with those heads as well as your stock ones.

Whats you're reasons / evidence about the Cam not working as well?

I dont think andy uses DTD hes more old skool in his engine building also i dont know if you can buy a 305 block? it would have to be a used block.

Ok, fair enough but it would still be worth investigating...

Did you email barry grant and ask the question?

No not yet.

Jamieg285

Basically because I don't need too,

I understand that bit, which is fine if all you are doing is bolting on goodies, but if you are going down the route of having a new engine built, with no donor parts from your own engine, it would make more sense to have the better block.  Just because you have it, you don't have to go for any more power than you want, and would have more options for the future should you change your mind.   It will also be a much more desireable engine should you choose to sell the car on with it.

Jamieg285

also i dont know if you can buy a 305 block? it would have to be a used block.

I'd assumed he'd be after a used block anyway.  A new one costs a lot of money and the only reasons I could see for going for one is if you couldn't find a decent used one, or wanted a race engine.

55starchief

I'd assumed he'd be after a used block anyway. A new one costs a lot of money and the only reasons I could see for going for one is if you couldn't find a decent used one, or wanted a race engine.

Actualy its just as cheap to buy a new 350 block as to prep a used block acording to andy, by the time you mag,wash etc he has also had a 350 bllock fall apart after the wash cycle, a chink of the cylinder wall was missing

Jamieg285

No 305 blocks at Summit.  

You can get a new GM 350 for $645 though, which is better than I realised.

55starchief

You can get a new GM 350 for $645 though, which is better than I realised.

Yup thats what andy said and why he wont build cheby motors with old blocks

Jamieg285

I wish GM did a 400 for that sort of price.

Cheapest is $1849  

55starchief

I wish GM did a 400 for that sort of price.

just stroke a 350 mate

FUBAR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/ryanbudd/ShoppingListImage2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> they look like it...

The alternative to all those Bottom end bits is to see if that Strokermotor place can do me a kit with a standard 3.48"Stroke Crank. would cost more but would alleviate the uncertainty over the Crank condition...

In a way, i'm confused!

Roadkill

i'm confused!

Chart looks pretty, though.

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
Chart looks pretty, though.

Thats what you get for spending all day In Excel Spreadsheets... pretty looking pages made out of Boredom...

At least the subject matter is interesting this time! BHP

Roadkill

I need to learn Excel . . . . . . I know.

FUBAR

Don't know if all those parts are compatible though...  they look like it...

Can anyone help with the Heads/Roller Rockers/Pushrods/Hydraulic Cam compatibility Part?
Just a 2nd opinion as I don't know what will actually work with each other (or what the required pushrod length is...)

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
I need to learn Excel . . . . . .  I know.

Keep telling you that

Incursus

Thats what you get for spending all day In Excel Spreadsheets... pretty looking pages made out of Boredom...

He he yeah tell me about it

Jamieg285

Can anyone help with the Heads/Roller Rockers/Pushrods/Hydraulic Cam compatibility Part?
Just a 2nd opinion as I don't know what will actually work with each other (or what the required pushrod length is...)

Yep, they all look OK to me.

You might want to see what difference going with the high life (1.6) rockers are in DTD, as they're the same price.

Push rods would be 5/16" x 7.794s (and I might have a new set at home - Crane - would need to see if I can find then for more details)

FUBAR

Yep, they all look OK to me.

Push rods would be 5/16" x 7.794s (and I might have a new set at home - Crane - would need to see if I can find then for more details)

Thanks Jamie

I haven't found anything about changing the rocker ratios in DTD as of yet, will look this evening

Jamieg285

I haven't found anything about changing the rocker ratios in DTD as of yet, will look this evening

See what you mean.  I would have expected it to be there, and expected it to make a difference, but not sure how much.

Personally, I'd go for them anyway.  The timing remains the same, it just allows more aire/fuel in.

55starchief

Personally, I'd go for them anyway. The timing remains the same, it just allows more aire/fuel in.

Might need to check the clearance on the piston first