Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...

Started by FUBAR, October 18, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUBAR

Quoting: 55starchief
Might need to check the clearance on the piston first

Yeah thats why i've stayed with the stock 1.5:1 ratio ones. they would be fine though i'd imagine.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

Given that a 305 Small Block is just a Narrow Bore 350 Block are the Crankshafts the same?...

55starchief

Quoting: FUBAR
Given that a 305 Small Block is just a Narrow Bore 350 Block are the Crankshafts the same?...

Not sure mate, might find that its a small main than the 350

philoldsmobile

i have a nagging doubt they are the same..

i know the harmonic dampers aren't

FUBAR

Guys

Advise Needed ASAP (by the end of tomorrow anyway...)

Stuff I'm getting from this guy in wales, whats it worth? he's asked me what I was thinking as a price and i've no idea...

Complete Interior Wiring Loom
2x Under-Dash Panels for footwells
Dashboard Plastic

FUBAR

No worries Phoned PhilO quickly...

FUBAR

I e-mailed Andy Last night for some advise / guidance.
Hopefully he can help

55starchief

Well with that new dyno sim you can get far more advanced

FUBAR

Well with that new dyno sim you can get far more advanced

Indeedy, I will be having a play with that over the weekend thats for sure

55starchief

Indeedy, I will be having a play with that over the weekend thats for sure

gonna drive yourself crazy with that mate, so many options and parts even your puter carb

FUBAR

even your puter carb

Sweet

FUBAR

Ok so following Last night this car will now be going up for sale. and its dilemma time,

In order to sell this car for what its really worth it would need the interior Loom that I was going to get from wales installing & the Piston Rings would need changing in the engine.  2 Very big Jobs.  This would make the car a good car, engine would be fine & the electrical gremlins would all be gone.
My dilemma is can I justify the time to fix these problems & do the car justice or sell the car as-is for less either as a rolling project or I believe EDGE has plans that don't involve interiors or engines... Now the body of the car is structurally sound this is a possibility.

Jamieg285

Why does the loom need doing?  Is the current one just a mess, or is it faulty?  My point here is, is it something that the new buyer wouldn't notice until he had the car and started digging?

Piston rings - I'm asuming that this is an engine out job (i.e. I don't think you can drop the pan and pull the pistons with it in situ?   Either way, I'm not overly sure that it would be worth the effort.   Again, what symptoms does it have that would be immediately obvious to a buyer - is there a quick fix that can disguise those?

FUBAR

Quoting: Jamieg285
what symptoms does it have that would be immediately obvious to a buyer

Oily Exhaust Gas Pouring out of the breather on the Pass. side within 1min of cold startup.
Stopped at Traffic Lights Exhaust gas emerging from rear of bonnet & sometimes getting sucked into the intake for the in-car vents which means you have to have the windows open.

This has got significantly worse over the last month.

Jamieg285

Ah, doesn't sound so good

Are you certain that it's just piston rings, and isn't going to be something more (expensive) should you start stripping the engine?

Is it worth buying a cheap cut-out engine and just swapping it over?

FUBAR

Probably not, if that was involved I may as well just sell it as-is.  So long as I can get enough for it to pay for the outstanding monies (need to check what that is but its not silly money) & the couple of bits needed right away for the new car i'll be happy.

55starchief

I would tr some stop smoke adative worked for me when i sold my old skoda with a shot motor

Jamieg285

Probably not, if that was involved I may as well just sell it as-is. So long as I can get enough for it to pay for the outstanding monies (need to check what that is but its not silly money) & the couple of bits needed right away for the new car i'll be happy.

I was just thinking in terms of less work, if you had to pull the engine anyway to sort the current one, it may be easier just to swap (dependant on the cost of the replacement engine)

Also, there would also be the option of rebuilding the 305 afterwards and selling it on later.

FUBAR

Also, there would also be the option of rebuilding the 305 afterwards and selling it on later.

Well the problem with that is because its computer controlled there's a lot of other bits on the car that have to go with it, unless of course you leave the Carb Off.  probably a better idea.

+ My stepdad would go ape-sh1t about having an "old smelly engine" (probably his words) lying about the place.  I would not be popular

Incursus

I would tr some stop smoke adative worked for me when i sold my old skoda with a shot motor

Was also gonna say try some stop smoke shove some fresh oil in and hide the wires.  

Then activate your Somebody Elses Problem Field and all will be well

FUBAR

Its not smoking from the exhausts tho, its coming from the breathers.

philoldsmobile

trust me, this is well past what stop smoke can do.....

its breathing really badly, and is starting to miss.... wiring will be difficult to hide, as there are a few things that dont work, and others that are borderline dangerous... (like the headlights that go off after a few seconds on high beam)

after some changes in the law private buyers do have some comeback, so its not really worth the risk.

55starchief

This is where it gets dificult. Any money you spend your unlikley to see again. If the car is as bad as you say your gonna need to pull the motor to fix the rings and it wont just be rings you need to buy, add in a hone job at the least and gaskets and you wont get much change from £500 plus your time

philoldsmobile

prob big end shells too.. when they are worn they rarely live long when you put the motor back together..

55starchief

You might well get more for it by breaking it for spares, i wish i could offer you more help mate