Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...

Started by FUBAR, October 18, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

ahh ok ok you the 1 person then te-he-he!!

FUBAR

The plan for my old Car is looking more & more likely that it'll be broken for Parts,  the 3 main components of which are that EDGE is tentatively interested in using the shell as a Track Car (providing we can agree a reasonable price), Jamie is keen on having the Gearbox & Rafe is having the seats off me this coming weekend.
There are a few parts on the car that I'll be swaping over to my new car, (Light lenses, a few switches and a couple of other bits) which i'll be doing tomorrow.

Alternatively a complete engine rebuild has already been ruled out on the grounds of time & cost, the only thing thats pulling me away from breaking it for parts is the auction on ebay of a reconditioned 305 Longblock which could be dropped into the car & all the ancilliaries bolted to it fairly easily. but I really don't know if I've got the time or space to do this.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Giblets

Quoting: ianjpage
Ahh right so it taxed and insured just not tested then...hmm whens that stopped people

In my case, not at all.

Flaunted it to show at the weekend, sans MOT.

Getting it sorted this week though. Purely an oversight though. Will pay more attention to dates in future.

Giblets

Sorry to hear yours might be for the breakers mate. Does this mean we won't be sticking my interior into yours?

At least you know plenty of other third gen owners to peddle the parts to I suppose!

ianjpage

think to think of mate - is what bits will you be left with that maybe hard to shift.....

FUBAR

Quoting: FUBAR
Jamie is keen on having the Gearbox

Guys, will this gearbox be ok behind Jamies 400cid? Last thing I want to do is sell it to him & then it get shredded!

55starchief

Guys, will this gearbox be ok behind Jamies 400cid? Last thing I want to do is sell it to him & then it get shredded!

What box is it and what work did you have done to it on the rebuild?

FUBAR

Its a TH700R4
Rebuild on 10/08/05 at 90215miles (Car is now on approx 93500)
Stock rebuild + new Torque Converter

55starchief

It might be on the limits of a 400ci think that box is rated to about 340hp

FUBAR

Quoting: 55starchief
think that box is rated to about 340hp

Correct circa 350hp

Jamieg285

My engine is currently only pumping out 300 (estimated), and it's likely to be a while before I get any significant upgrades on it.

My concern wouldn't be the HP, but the torque, and I'm not sure where I can find that info.

That said, I have read that these boxes were standard equipment behind some big block motors, so it probably isn't an issue.

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285
My concern wouldn't be the HP, but the torque, and I'm not sure where I can find that info.

as far as i can see this is the spec for a stock 700r4

Stock 700R4 Overdrive
Standard Gear Ratio: 3.06/1.62/1.00/0.68
Optional Gear Ratio: (none)
Horsepower Rating: 300
Torque Rating: 370

Jamieg285

Torque Rating: 370

Where's this info from?

55starchief

Jamieg285

Bummer.

Looks like a no-go I'm afraid.  Not without some work on it.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700R4_Torque_Drive.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700R4_Torque_Drive.htm

55starchief

Those raptor transmisions are awesome although i would still rather a th350

Jamieg285

Those raptor transmisions are awesome although i would still rather a th350

Yeah, they did look good, will have to investigate more thoroughly when the time comes.

FUBAR

Well today was a success, Rafe has his new Leather Seats installed and to say he was chuffed that the 4th Gen Power Seat Track gave him another 1.5" of Leg room was a mild understatement!
Every Little helps !

We also discovered that he's not too far off being able to drive the car from the rear seats!!

F Body

We also discovered that he's not too far off being able to drive the car from the rear seats!!

The extra weight over the rear axle would be like having traction control

FUBAR

FUBAR

hehe funny how these things happen, just been contacted by a previous owner from about 4 years ago who saw the ad... would have been a lot more interested if I wasn't selling her!

F Body

Well its listed...

Looks like an acurate right up - good luck

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body
Looks like an acurate right up - good luck

Cheers m8,
I think I have described it very honestly, it looks really good in the piccys tho... don't want to sell it now
If it doesn't i'm going to try & fix the engine it I think...

Roadkill

don't want to sell it now  
If it doesn't i'm going to try & fix the engine it I think...

Don't do it, Mate - That's just your emotional connection with the car pulling your strings . . . If you spend more money you WILL NOT see it back . . . . And you know you can't keep it.