Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...

Started by FUBAR, October 18, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUBAR

well, its a lot quieter now & the chain isn't making the noises it was before, so far...  i'll have to see what happens over the next few days...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Jamieg285

Quoting: FUBAR
At the moment no, however i'd imagine he is still contactable about selling parts from it (Back to Plan A). If anyone wants his numbers get me on my mobile & i'll send em over.

Ryan

Edit: although it has to be said, if he really doesn't want much for it I might consider it if other people are interested too...

It's still worth enquiring over what it wants for it, I might* be interested in the engine if it's any good and not too expensive.

* don't tell Debs

55starchief

We could always put the engine in chris's fiero if jamie doesnt want it

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief
We could always put the engine in chris's fiero if jamie doesnt want it

I thought that had died - I assume it was either not as bad as first thought, or Chris has bought it back from the insurers.

FUBAR

Just been & bought 12 month's road tax for it at lunch...  damn government money grabbers.

Ryan

philoldsmobile

So have you solved what the noise from the rocker cover was?

hmm, odd that - engine is quiet as a lamb now, most of the center electrode was missing from the dizzy cap, with the spring behind it making contact with the rotor arm.

my guess is that as the spring was catching the rotor arm, it was macking the clicking noise..

this is all i can sumise, unless the misfire was causing some strange combustion chamber activity..

my guess on the timing chain noise, was that the misfire was causing the crank to snatch about, causing the timing chain to 'flutter' as it was lashing about. again - all quiet on the western front now!

either way, it seems fighting fit now..

art b

re chris's pontiac
spoke to nath and the insurers are paying for it to be repaired
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Jamieg285

Ryan, do you know what size wheels are on the rolled Camaro? I might be interested if they are 16"s

FUBAR

Unfortunatly one of them is buckled so the set is useless

FUBAR

NEW TOPIC!

Out of the Frying Pan... into the Fire

Its just from 1 thing to the bloody next!  Just before me & Phil Left Old Orleans in Northampton this evening we were talking about headlights & patterns & stuff upon which he commented "well at least you know the engine's running ok now..."

He should have touched some wood...

Coming off the M1 at Junction 14 I get to the top of the sliproad, go to turn & realise the engine's cut out (remember I can't see my dash gauges) I stop & put the Hazards on.
I tried to re-start the car with no joy, later realising that I didn't have it in Park :confused

Smelling Petrol I popped the bonnet & was confronted by a stronger smell, then realising that petrol was pissing from the Carb somewhere under the choke all over the top of the engine :

AT THIS POINT I SHIT MYSELF (not literally)

Phone Phil paniking after grabbing the fire extinguisher from the passenger footwell WTF do I do now?????  Phil Very very very very kindly came back up the M1 & met me, reassured me of some technical things like it will stop leaking & won't catch fire & waited while we waited for the RAC to come out, m8 I owe you a million & 1 beers for that

So the truck has now woken up ALL of my neighbours, the car didn't catch fire & its parked on my neighbours drive (who are out of the country 10 months a year!  Phew!)

I'm Now going to have a cold shower & go to bed..

Ryan

P.s. The " < < " sign at the top of the M1 sliproad now has "AACI RULE" and "MKB WOZ ERE" written in the dirt in big letters on it & a Piccy of a

Oh and we saw a truck that said C.Butts LTD on it

P.p.s No Offence but I am NOT going to Northants meets anymore, everytime I go my Car breaks, the gearbox issues, hot running problems & this all began or started after going to the bloomin Queen Eleanor!

Jamieg285

A scary moment indeed - lets hope that it's something fairly simple.

Well done to Phil, a friend you can really depend on.

55starchief

So do you have any idea why it died mate?

ianjpage

blimey not a good evening fer ya then mate - glad to hear all is ok and you & car still here (ok it aint running but thats fixable!)

Wonder if the hesitiation earlier on was a pre-cursor to it then??

FUBAR

So do you have any idea why it died mate?

Well Phil was saying something about a Needle & seat or something last night & that if it gets stuck it will flood the bowls in the carb, then the engine (hence the cut out) & then leak all over the place.

At least it wasn't coming from the fuel filter which means I changed that properly

Jamieg285

What make of carb is it? I have a book on Holley maintenance if it's any use to you.

Jamieg285

I guess it's possible that all of the changes you have made recently and 'freed' the engine up have sent other compenents (i.e. carb) into shock. It's possible that you might get one of two other teething troubles as things get used to running properly.

I would expect that most of them will simply be cases of simple maintenance - just like your engine troubles were.

FUBAR

Yeah seems to happen u fix one thing & it put everything else back under more pressure especially getting the engine back up to power like I have done.  Hopefully things will as you say not be too pricey

Jamie its a Rochester Quadrejet, the computer controlled jobby thats been on there for 18 years...

Jamieg285

Sorry, I know bugger all about Rochesters. Looks like Philo's the man (again!! )

FUBAR

He seems to think its either a gasket in the carb or this needle & seat thing whatever that is got a bit of dirt in it & got stuck open which is why it flooded when I slowed down for the roundabout.

55starchief

Rochester carbs suck and always have done, only the ford carbs are worse. Rip that bitch off and throw a carter,holley or a demon on and solve all your problems

FUBAR

I don't really know what to do with this one TBH...

FUBAR

Finlay's just put this on the AACI forum:

Originally posted by Finlay

FUBAR...I had exactly the same problem....

The carb is pissing fuel out of the lower gasket because its over pressurised. Undo the fuel return line from the bottom of the fuel pump and unscrew the 90 deg fitting from the fuel pump... Then take that small bit of rubber/ rust out thats blocking the small hole in the fitting .....

Only thing it might of 'Fubar-ed' all your lower gaskets in the carb

Try this before rebuilding the carb

Cheers
Fin

Jamieg285

That sounds feasible - did you establish where your fuel pump is - engine or tank?

FUBAR

Its on the engine in the usual SBC place which is good.  what does he mean by "Lower gaskets" are they hard to change?

Jamieg285