Ryan's Camaro Project Thread...

Started by FUBAR, October 18, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art b

sorry to hear this fella,
sounds like it may have been a blockage then the pressure has caused something to rupture:
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief
Rochester carbs suck

I thought that's what all carbs did

ianjpage

Quoting: Jamieg285
Rochester carbs suck

I thought that's what all carbs did

GROAN!!!!

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

Yeah I saw that one VERY helpful!

all good fun eh... I just have to hope my neighbours don't come home from wherever-land & want their drive back!!!

philoldsmobile

Quoting: FUBAR

Originally posted by Finlay

FUBAR...I had exactly the same problem....

The carb is pissing fuel out of the lower gasket because its over pressurised. Undo the fuel return line from the bottom of the fuel pump and unscrew the 90 deg fitting from the fuel pump... Then take that small bit of rubber/ rust out thats blocking the small hole in the fitting .....

Only thing it might of 'Fubar-ed' all your lower gaskets in the carb

Try this before rebuilding the carb

Cheers
Fin

sounds like a very likely case...

oh, greame - q jets aint that bad, when set up properly, they work every bit as well as any other carb, and a hell of a lot better than a holley.

agree the deamon is a nice idea, but then you have issues with all sorts of things like TV cable brackets (critical to get right if you dont wanna nukle the gearbox again) and potentialy problems with the computer freaking out and throwing the car into limp home (the ignition depends on the computer because is has ESC)

also there is the fact that deamons are BLOODY expensive.....

ifor the cost involved, the gains aren't really worth it unless you are looking at a new carb anyway, and i dont think thats likely to be the case..

FUBAR

Quoting: philoldsmobile
ifor the cost involved, the gains aren't really worth it unless you are looking at a new carb anyway, and i dont think thats likely to be the case..

You're right its not, this problem I want fixed as cheaply as possible  I'm going to have a poke around with the fuel pump tomorrow & have a go at fixing what finlay has suggested.  I assume the lower gasket on the carb will need replacing anyway too?

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
methinks I need to gets me one 'a these

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/roccarrepman.html[/quote\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">]http://www.themotorbookstore.com/roccarrepman.html

Ryan.

I'm going to John Woolfe later today.

I Think they sell this (I Know because the caddy has a Rochester hence I noticed it) - I Could pick it for you ???

I Think it's about £13 ???  Or if it does cover both our Carbs we could go halves ???

FUBAR

Erm... ordered it yesterday sorry m8
It works out about the same price I think which is good.  You're more then welcome to borrow it

Roadkill

Okkies, Mate.

My fault for working and being away from the Forum for a few days.

FUBAR

Tell you what tho,

could you see if they sell the gaskets for my carb?  I'm going to need a Lower one by the sounds of it from what Finlay Said. If they have could you pick one / a set up for me however they sell em.

The Carb is a Computer Controlled Rochester Quadrajet.

Roadkill

Best to look on Ebay (US) for a rebuild kit and take the ones out you need.

I Wouldn't think you'd buy individual ones as the Kit is only $17 !!!

And "Lower one" isn't very accurate . . . . The kits normally contain about 2 Dozen bits !!!

FUBAR

FUBAR

Looking through that guy's ebay store I founf some more piccies of the carbs, this black pipe is very interesting...  I'm wondering if this has perished & come off... 1st thing i'm going to look at tomorrow morning!

Roadkill

Looks like a vacuum pipe, Mate.

Wouldn't have thought that would be causing your problems from what I gather . . . . .

FUBAR

dunno the fuel was dribbling from sonewhere under there where it goes thats what I was thinking...

Ryan

FUBAR

Ok,

My pump is definately different to Finlay's, all 3 pipes enter on the bottom of the pump, whereas his has a single swivel fitting on the bottom for the return pipe.

If his diagnosis is correct which I reckon is likely then i'm going to need to replace the fuel pump, the fitting for the fuel return hose is an integral part of the pump I have and access to the blocked side of the tiny hole is impossible.

I am also going to replace the 2 rubber fuel hoses that connect to it & fit a fuel filter before the pump so that (hopefully) this problem can be avoided again as it wasn't very nice!

Also the area behind the pump on the engine block is very "black & goopy" (technical term!) any ideas why?

Ryan

p.s. Oh and BTW the carb rebuild kit from that guys is $100 as it includes new bits for just about every component in the carb

55starchief

ok mate sounds like the gasket on the back of the fuel pump has gone this would explain the sludge.
If your going to buy a new fuel pump just buy an electric one, i know philo will go on about a stock pump is ok but electric pumps always work better

FUBAR

I'll have to see... I kinda just want this thing resolved rather than having to sort out changing things.

dunno tho, we'll see

Ryan

philoldsmobile

ok mate sounds like the gasket on the back of the fuel pump has gone this would explain the sludge.
If your going to buy a new fuel pump just buy an electric one, i know philo will go on about a stock pump is ok but electric pumps always work better

not at all..

plus the added hassle of having to wire it, plus fitting a fuel pressure regulator..

plus it all costs money...

FUBAR

guys, is 8mm fuel pipe the right size for the main feed?

the return hose is smaller (6mm I think)

55starchief

that would be about right 1/4" return and 3/8" feed

FUBAR

Ok cool,

gotta get some new pipes.  This electric pump idea, how much are they roughly? & where abouts do they & the regulator need to be sited? I'm still considering it but I have to remember that if the pump doesn't fix the problem, then I still need to get the carb sorted which will be more costly i reckon...

Ryan

FUBAR