Cutting a hole through Stainless Steel

Started by EDGE, December 13, 2007, 06:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDGE

Anyone know what type of hole cutter I'd need, it's only to cut through a sink to fit the tap so around 25mm dia. would be fine...

I figured just a regular cutter but apparently not, any ideas?

55starchief

I would go with a step drill, S/Steell is gonna kill pretty much anything you use. You can also get some punches that you tighten up and they cut through

EDGE

i thought a step drill might work too, i know stainless is a biatch to cut but i figured one hole wouldnt kill too many bits...

Ill have a look at the punches too, although I dont want the sink distorting...

Rocky

Punch is probably best the ones you put either side and tighten, shouldnt distort it.

F Body

Quoting: Rocky
Punch is probably best the ones you put either side and tighten, shouldnt distort it.

After drilling a small pilot hole first

EDGE

55starchief

EDGE

55starchief

Quoting: EDGE

cheers dude, better have a measure up

I used to have a load of those but havnt seen them in years, they work real well but you might need to use a ratchet

Roadkill

Hmm, interesting . . . I'll have to remember these . . .

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill

Hmm, interesting . . . I'll have to remember these . .

You can get square and rectangular ones aswell

Big Mouse

Um, why didn't you just buy a sink with tap holes already?

55starchief

Quoting: Big Mouse

Um, why didn't you just buy a sink with tap holes already?

Because its edge, much the same reason he bought a ford

EDGE

well... we were planning on putting the tap on the worktop behind the sink but this way looks way better now we've put the worktops in.... just preference i guess, but its too late to return the sink so punching a hole in it FTW !

philoldsmobile

step drill will work, but keeping it slow enough in a hand held drill is gonna be difficult... you need about 100 - 120 RPM MAXIMUM otherwise you'll burn it out

EDGE

thats ok then, i have a cheap drill that barel turns at over 100rpm .... poxy fuking thing, when its going full pelt you can stop it with your hand !!!!!

Roadkill

when its going full pelt you can stop it with your hand !!!!!

It won't have enough torque to run a step drill, then . . . will just end up snagging the steel and throwing a burr . . .

EDGE

yeah, i know... it could barely drill though a soft lump of brie

Incursus

yeah, i know... it could barely drill though a soft lump of brie

mmm brie

Roadkill

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

EDGE

55starchief

Just dont have philo drilll the 1st hole other wise your likley to end up with a culendar rather than a sink

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: