Pimp Wheels? Thoughts.....

Started by Fieldy, January 07, 2008, 08:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldy

Alright guys.

Just been to A place down the road who specialize in Custom Wheels. Showed them the Truffle and they got real excited saying it is the side of the market they are struggling to break, Yank Tanks.

I was looking at A set of 17", wired wheels with white wall tyres....something like this....

http://www.dubsntraps.com/products.php?cat=8\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.dubsntraps.com/products.php?cat=8

(the 1st wheels OG000)

What you think? £1500....But, comes with A universal adaptor so I could fit them on any car.....

55starchief

I will let Dr Cox handle this one

http://www.youtube.com/v/WrjwaqZfjIY\">http://www.youtube.com/v/WrjwaqZfjIY\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\">

Fieldy

Quoting: 55starchief
I will let Dr Cox handle this one

With all due respect mate.....why are they wrong, and what alternative would you suggest?

55starchief

100 spoke rims or gold 'D's'are wrong on modern cars infact they are wrong on most cars with a few exceptions. Impala lowriders and early 50s cars and then only in 15"

Your going to struggle to find a larger rim thats going to match that car. You will need to keep them black in my opinion and def no bigger than a 17"

Fieldy

Your going to struggle to find a larger rim thats going to match that car. You will need to keep them black in my opinion and def no bigger than a 17"

I am not looking at more than 17's, I can get the wires customed black inc in the price.....? I was thinking that'd be cool, black wired rims

55starchief

Quoting: Fieldy

I am not looking at more than 17's, I can get the wires customed black inc in the price.....? I was thinking that'd be cool, black wired rims

Trust me on this one, they are a PITA to look after, i know as we have them on the TR6.

But its your money. Whats wrong with the stock rims anyways? a car like that has a certain look thats going to be hard to beat

Fieldy

Whats wrong with the stock rims

They look boring and shitty.....

55starchief

There is also the problem of balancing that type or rim, infact there is only one place in the UK that can correctly ballance wire wheels. You cant do it on the usualy machines at kwik fit and ATS. From memory when we had the rims done for the TR6 they were £35 a corner and done in some place around london

Roadkill

Never been a fan of multi-spokes.

Why have wheels worth as much / more than your car's worth ?

Definately wrong.  But it's your cash and your motor.  

Fieldy

Quoting: Roadkill
Definately wrong

Any alternative suggestions? There are no wheels you know of that you think could work?

55starchief

If it was me i would have the originals referb'd and ask them to diamond machine the outer lip of the rim . That would give you a black rim with a silver band that would work

Pod

Can't remember what the originals look like now. Post a side view pic of the car.

55starchief

Quoting: Pod

Can't remember what the originals look like now. Post a side view pic of the car.

you can see them on the classified post edge made

FUBAR

What do the stock ones look like again?

Edit: Doh... should have read Pod's post above...

Edit2:

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

That would give you a black rim with a silver band that would work

This sort of look?

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

55starchief

Pod

you can see them on the classified post edge made

I didn't know there was one. Or that he'd sold it.

Personally, I'd probably look at black wheels for that car. I've never been a fan of wire spoke wheels. Plus, if the spokes were black, you'd probably not see them or notice them as much, which is presumably the point.

It's 80's style, so kind in between ye olde 50's and 'modern' stuff. So nothing really works.

Given the cost of the wheels compared to the car, I'd stick with the current ones myself. But as said. it's your choice.

Surely £1500 should go towards fixing all the things Edge broke?

Incursus

Quoting: FUBAR
That would give you a black rim with a silver band that would work

This sort of look?

them's what I want for the Mustang.

very similar anyway.

F Body

Quoting: Fieldy
I was looking at A set of 17", wired wheels with white wall tyres....something like this....

Quoting: FUBAR
This sort of look?

The thing is that the disc brakes are probably quite small and if it has drums on the back it would look really naff

IMHO the original wheels really suit the car

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body

Have to agree here - maybe get them refurbed so they look new but with it all being black and covers over lights etc - the current wheels do look the best

55starchief

Quoting: F Body

The thing is that the disc brakes are probably quite small and if it has drums on the back it would look really naff

I meant the shiny outer rim not the 5 spoke, if you look back i said get them refurb'd and diamond cut the rim

Gator

stop fiddling save your money and just enjoy it

them wire wheels will look horrid on yours and unless you spend a friggin fortune they will tart pitting and flaking pretty quick

cant see you cleaning them every weekend either

the ones on it now look great imo

55starchief

If yu have money to spend i would use it to loose those nasty orange indicators on the rear, please tell me those are not a stock piece of the car. I would simply call amcar in bicester  and ask for his LED conversion which will be totaly hidden restoring the lines of the car

philoldsmobile

i can see i'm gonna have to drive down there and bitchslap yo ass for even suggesting either wire wheels or whitewalls....

thats a happy coincidence, as i'm at the London meet on sat!!

only people with the bad taste of some one like snoop puppy puppy or 27p would do that..

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile
like snoop puppy puppy or 27p would do that.

nah mate even they wouldnt do that. I have seen some of their whips and they look pretty damn good actualy