and the mustang continues to be a PITA

Started by philoldsmobile, January 24, 2008, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

got a slight problem that just wont go away...

from cold, the car starts perfectly, moves away perfectly and runs fine. about 3 mins into the drive, if you have to stop, moving away the car has no power for about 1/2 second, then pulls away perfectly.

after it has done this once, it wont do it again until the next cold start.

on advice, i have changed the coolant temp sensor, this has improved matters slightly, but not cured it, however it has only done about 25 miles on the new sensor, will it take time to 'learn' new values? the tail pipe was a bit sooty, this seems to have stopped with the new CTS

i also have new o2 sensors to fit, but it was my understanding they only come into operation when the exhaust has reached a certain temp..

i have changed the HT leads, to no avail.

before and after the flat spot, the car runs perfectly.. reckon it could be the o2 sensors? they are the origional ones...

-edit- fuel consumption *seems* to have improved with the new CTS, but its too early to tell for sure..

55starchief

Does it have an air idle control? i know i have almost the exact same problem with the granny, go to move and it dies if you dont let it warm up 1st. Im pretty sure mine is the AIC valve

philoldsmobile

philoldsmobile

yup, it has one... at $75 i'm not inclined to change it unless i'm sure its the problem.. its not throwing any fault codes...

55starchief

I would put money on it being that mate

philoldsmobile

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

hmm..... any way of testing it?

unplug it and see if it starts from memory it lets warm air recirculate the plenum, thats why i think mine is duff because on cold mornings it dies

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/iacvdata.htm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/iacvdata.htm

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile
got a slight problem that just wont go away...

Yeah it's called a Ford

You know my rules PhilO, when it starts to be a pita get shut

Rocky

Had the same fault on my BMW but that was the distributer cap

philoldsmobile

no dizzy on the stang - its got a coil pack and crank trigger..

Rob