Philo's Alfa-Romeo 166 *pics*

Started by philoldsmobile, March 02, 2008, 02:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art b

Quoting: philoldsmobile
as a driver tart

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

philoldsmobile

i never once denied being a prissy bitch!

Gator

Phil you crack me up i remember Americana, you couldnt say enough good stuff about that mustang

hes so fickle

HardRockCamaro

No car ticks all boxes I don't care what badge is on it.

If you want comfort you can't have handling.  There is no perfect compromise on that, if it handles vaguely well then it's only vaguely comfortable.

If you want a lot of power you won't get good gas mileage.

The list goes on...

Phil used to say that the Stang was great for covering distances without thinking about it and I imagine it still is.  However being European the Alfa is obviously going to be the more involving drive...

philoldsmobile

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
If you want comfort you can't have handling. There is no perfect compromise on that, if it handles vaguely well then it's only vaguely comfortable

thats not true, drive a jaguar XJR or mercedes E class - only cheap cars make that compromise, you actually can have comfort and handling, but you have to pay for it... a lot.

the stang does cover distance well, the trip to belgium proved that, but yes, the alfa is a far more involving drive, while still maintaining a very good level of ride comfort. the ejit that poly bushed the 'stang ruined it, it is never going to handle well, but it destroyed the ride over rough surfaces.

art b

a clutch going on a 100,000 mile 8 year old car isn't uncommon,

clutches do seem to last for a long while, considering the amount of power modern cars produce,
it was a major worry years ago if the clutch was gonna last any length of time....

philoldsmobile

well, all back together and working again...

minor electrical gremlin has surfaced - there is a bad earth somewhere in the temp guage - occasionally it reads hot - almost in the red, but the engine is at normal temp, with the fan working correctly.  Turn off, then immediately back on, and it reads correctly again.

the other thing that has become apparent (well, i kinda knew anyway) the car would benefit from a recon head, one of the lifters ticks, and the valve stem oil seals have seen better days, announced by a puff of smoke on startup if its been stood a few hours. (nothing really to worry about, both the camaro and astro did it, but it would be nice to sort, not massively expensive either)

the other kick in the knickers? you need a special tool to remove the spark plug caps! i need to change the plugs, too!!!

art b

never bored wiff a ford alfa  

Motorama

minor electrical gremlin has surfaced - there is a bad earth somewhere in the temp guage - occasionally it reads hot - almost in the red, but the engine is at normal temp, with the fan working correctly. Turn off, then immediately back on, and it reads correctly again.

the other thing that has become apparent (well, i kinda knew anyway) the car would benefit from a recon head, one of the lifters ticks, and the valve stem oil seals have seen better days, announced by a puff of smoke on startup if its been stood a few hours. (nothing really to worry about, both the camaro and astro did it, but it would be nice to sort, not massively expensive either)

the other kick in the knickers? you need a special tool to remove the spark plug caps! i need to change the plugs, too!!!

you're cutting this car a lot of slack!

philoldsmobile

nothing i didn't have to contend with when i had my cutlass... i dont mind spending a bit of money if i get the car cheap, and i'm expecting to, also the alfa like the cutlass has character in droves. the mustang was just mind numbingly dull.

Incursus

the mustang was just mind numbingly dull.

interesting, i've driven various modern italian, german, japanese cars through work etc. and although very comfortable and suppposedly faster they just don't give me any pleasure its just too easy and considering most of them were much faster than the mustang they just didn't feel it, might be just me but :yawn:

I like the rough unpredictable drive of a yank

Maybe thats why i prefer pc's to Mac's as well

Roadkill

Quoting: Motorama
nothing i didn't have to contend with when i had my cutlass...

(Which was a damn sight older)

Shifty

Quoting: Incursus
interesting, i've driven various modern italian, german, japanese cars through work etc. and although very comfortable and suppposedly faster they just don't give me any pleasure its just too easy and considering most of them were much faster than the mustang they just didn't feel it, might be just me but :yawn:

I like the rough unpredictable drive of a yank

Think your the only person i have ever discribed a ride in a yank as rough, secondly your car has modified suspension so cant realy be used in a fair comparison.

Now for my spiel (SP?)

Having owned an Alfa (old 33 P4) all be it for a short while I would have to say it was one of the most involving, exhilarating, exciting etc..... cars I have ever had the privilege of driving, even better than the Porsche 996 4S a friend of mine let me drive (although it did come close), hell the 33 wasn't even that fast, it was just fun. After I sold it I was a passenger in it many many times and it was still a thrill.
This I can not say for most (apart for bazz's viper) yanks I have been in, even when they are at the limit they still feel spongy and heavy, even during fast acceleration and hard breaking it still isn't that exciting (have to admit for fairness sake the yank opinions are purely form a passengers point of view as I have not driven one). For me the only thing that comes remotely close to an exciting yank is FUBAR's Maro.

Not a fan of modern cars either TBH, to soft a ride and to little feedback from the car, all in all a uninspiring drive.

As Philo mentioned earlier you can have what you want out of a car but you have to pay for it.

You all know my opinions though,

Oooooooooo the controversy,

Incursus

Quoting: Shifty
Think your the only person i have ever discribed a ride in a yank as rough, secondly your car has modified suspension so cant realy be used in a fair comparison.

Wasn't really talking about the ride...more the err brutishness? of the cars

I know what I mean  

55starchief

I still say the chavscort once polybushed and with the stiffer springs was an absoulte riot to drive, I have driven all sorts of cars both stock and modified and its a difficult thing to explain.

The westfield was exilerating not overly fast with a top speed of 115mph but acceleration was quick and handling was amazing plus your only 3" fropm the ground.

The RS500 was awesome, the accelration and the feeling of that huge wing pushing the ass end down has yet to be beaten.

The subaru impreza with the 2.2 conversion, ballanced manifold and hybrid turbo was stupidly quick and handled great but the evo 6 with the group N motor which was just as quick had a totaly different feel, it was the aurial feeling as much as the acceleration feeling that just made it like no other car i have driven

The little mitsubishi colt that will pin out at 140mph is another car thats just fun to drive, with a small momo wheel in front of you it just says abuse me, the coo from the turbo is a permanent smile factor and the road holding is just beyond belief with coilovers all round. Nothing will touch it on the road even with its front wheel drive

Ever car is different, and no 2 cars will feel the same im just luck enough to have driven some amazing stock and modified cars

philoldsmobile

to be fair the ride of the mustang is harsh, rather than hard, it just doesn't deal well with bumps, almost like the springs are too soft, but the dampers are too firm.. the alfa feels more composed AND more sporting, generally more sorted.

VIC check passed with no problems, so i can now apply for the log book as normal.

ianjpage

VIC check passed with no problems, so i can now apply for the log book as normal.

Sweet

Roadkill

Quoting: Shifty
For me the only thing that comes remotely close to an exciting yank is FUBAR's Maro.

You haven't travelled in my Z28.

That was brutal !

Can't wait to get it all back together again.

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
You haven't travelled in my Z28.

That was brutal !

indeed.

tis gonna be a beast.

philoldsmobile

log book applied for.. as soon as i have that, i can get my stereo and sat nav codes, and finally have some music!!

Roadkill

and finally have some music!!

To drown the tappet noise.

philoldsmobile

hey its an alfa, they are 'loose' engines!!

EDGE

Quoting: 55starchief
I still say the chavscort once polybushed and with the stiffer springs was an absoulte riot to drive, I have driven all sorts of cars both stock and modified and its a difficult thing to explain.

yeah but it squeaks like a box full of mice !!!!

goes roun corners nicely though

philoldsmobile

my stang was poly bushed, it didn't squeak as such, but groaned like a goodun over bumps