MOT Failed - Cr*p - Help pls!

Started by ianjpage, March 19, 2008, 06:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill

Note :

I was speaking to the station, not to let the GMC off, but to take into consideration the difficulty/time in sourcing parts for American cars.

Yup, although they instock, its getting them, paying for them, fitting etc

Quoting: 55starchief

Yup havnt they done away with the free retest now?

Not sure as it says about a 10 day partial retest but the guy said summat about a 2 day grace period so might be that is the free retest window ??

Rob

Quoting: ianjpage
pads and discs are looking like 180-200 quid

Give Dave Eady a ring.  When I had my discs done last year he beat JWR prices hands down.

01536 420201

Roadkill

I didn't think Eady stocked the van stuff ? - Mind you I ain't been over there in nearly ten years !

philoldsmobile

you can go with 215 60 17 size tyres too (same rolling radius), you may be able to find cheaper tyres in this size.. or go with 215 on the front, and 235 on the rear..

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

55starchief

You would be better going wider and a 50 series if you wanted to save money as 17" 60's series arnt common

FUBAR

Dude, Check Cost co for tyres too... if they do the size you need, + they normally have an offer on if you buy a full set (which would make sense)
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

i was thumbing through the size calculator and came to the same conclusion, its just a case of finding a popular size..

cheapest i've found so far are £50 a corner, but they are winter tyres....

art b

i got tyres for the dayvan from stimpson tyres mk, just of the a5 i belive,
delivered to a garage,trade around 45 bucks,
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: art b
stimpson tyres

It's Sinton tyres . . . and they're in Broughton.  Worth a look.

Fieldy

stimpson tyres

It's Sinton tyres . . . and they're in Broughton. Worth a look.

That's what (s)he said

art b

well i was close...

thats wot she said...........

ianjpage

Quoting: FUBAR

Dude, Check Cost co for tyres too... if they do the size you need, + they normally have an offer on if you buy a full set (which would make sense)

hmm now i hadn't thought of that - can see a run there tomorrow lunch to check prices!!

stimpson tyres

It's Sinton tyres . . . and they're in Broughton. Worth a look.

kewl will try them tomorrow

so far cheapest is 50 quid a corner fitted from tyres direct

Roadkill

so far cheapest is 50 quid a corner fitted from tyres direct

Told ya they were cheap.

F Body

Told ya they were cheap.

Gonna be looking for some new tyres for the Panda soon, although they have been rotated twiced the 75bhp has eaten them

Or may be Management driving like she stole it has

ianjpage

Hmm 144 each cos they only do mitchelin .... tyres direct it is i think!!

art b

Quoting: F Body
Gonna be looking for some new tyres for the Panda soon

there are some dealers sell at good prices an ebay, for full sets of regular sizes... [if that makes any sense]

FUBAR

Hmm 144 each cos they only do mitchelin .... tyres direct it is i think!!

Ok fair doos!!

ianjpage

huge huge thanks to dean, phil, titsy and ryan  for their help today - managed to get new front pads and discs on and adjusted the rear drums (not much life left in them though ), sorted the washer jets ..

Had a go at the light but still not right ... needs looking at again tomorrw....then its just tyres tomorow and one other bulb and should be good for retest!!

art b

not so bad then,
a little better maintenace and it wont be so bad next time...

Titsy

Had a go at the light but still not right ... needs looking at again tomorrw....

Crapola.... That didn't last then...

FUBAR

not so bad then,  
a little better maintenace and it wont be so bad next time...

All the steering / front end grease nipples ate up a shitload of grease, 1 even spat out water when being re-filled with grease but hopefully thats all sorted again.

Roadkill

Not probs, Mate - front rotors and pads went to plan - But i'll get a bigger set of G-Clamps for next time.

ianjpage

Quoting: Titsy
Had a go at the light but still not right ... needs looking at again tomorrw....

Crapola.... That didn't last then...

Welli dunno - is all ok this morning went went to check on it - think i may end up pulling the headlight unit out and cheking it all.....need to find manual first!!!

All the steering / front end grease nipples ate up a shitload of grease, 1 even spat out water when being re-filled with grease but hopefully thats all sorted again.

Yeah couldn't believe that!! - all seems ok this morning, no clunks and i think its generally quiter when turning as well so less movement and noise - all good

Not probs, Mate - front rotors and pads went to plan - But i'll get a bigger set of G-Clamps for next time.

LOL yeah was interesting using lil ones!!

ianjpage

MOT passed today

one happy ian!

Thanks to all that assisted

Incursus