F.F.S. - Carry a Fire Extinguisher !!!

Started by Roadkill, February 10, 2006, 12:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

Got me a plumbed in one for the poncho, to risky to run a performance motor without any form of fire protection, especially with a high flowing fuel pump

Roadkill

Got a standard Foam (rated) one for the Maro . . . one of my first jobs on her this year.

Jamieg285

I've been carrying one around since I messed about with my carb (and it started leaking )

I will be getting it fitted properly some time, just haven't worked out where to put it yet.

Roadkill

Mine's going in the Passenger foot well.

As long as I can find something to bolt it to.

Jamieg285

I was thinking about somewhere under the hood (opposite side to the battery has plenty of space, and maybe one in the trunk too, just in case it's that bad I can't get to the one in the engine bay.

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285
I was thinking about somewhere under the hood (opposite side to the battery has plenty of space, and maybe one in the trunk too.

If its under the hood its not easy to acess mate. This is why i have gone for a plumbed one. Tank in the car and spray jets under the hood

Roadkill

Even a small fire under the hood will prevent you getting in.

As soon as you try to lift the hood you'll get the flames in your face.

If you pop the hood at least you can spray some into the small gap first, then attempt to open the hood after . . .

FUBAR

Where can you get things like these from here?, the extinguisher I have in the car is pitifully small & you'd be hard pressed to put out a match with it.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Even a small foam one will put out quite a major fire, Mate.

Foam is NASTY stuff, but it does the job well.

Just make sure it's pressurised and un-used.

55starchief

55starchief

LLS10026C 2.25ltr Club Fire Marshal - this is around £107+ Vat for the complete kit

Kit contains

4 x meters Synflex tube 1 x Tube mount clips (pack) 1 x Decal pack 1 x Instructions manual 1 x 2.25l cylinder with operating head, single outlet, bracket & straps 1 x 6ft Cable T Handle c/w nipple 1 x 12ft Cable T Handle c/w nipple 2 x Discharge nozzles 1 x T connector (push in)

Roadkill

How much was it ?  

And what model did you opt for ?

Edit : DAMMIT !  Delayed in posting . . . . Bloody boss !

Jamieg285

That's not a bad price for the kit.

Might invest in that myself a few years down the line.

55starchief

Might invest in that myself a few years down the line.

Chances are mate a few years down the line will be to late

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
Even a small foam one will put out quite a major fire, Mate.

Foam is NASTY stuff, but it does the job well.

Just make sure it's pressurised and un-used.

I dont know what's in it, i'll have a look on saturday it normally lives on the floor behind the drivers seat.

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Chances are mate a few years down the line will be to late

Pessamist !

Think positive !

FUBAR

Found this on the fire service website...

"Every year in the UK around 73,000 cars which equates to 200 a day go up in flames and around 100 people die as a result."

That sounds a lot until you read the next line:
"65% of these fires are started deliberately to cover criminal activity, to make a fraudulent insurance claim or as an act of vandalism."

And then:
"One in 12 vehicles reported stolen will be burnt out."

FUBAR

Why do so many websites spell "Camaro"   Camero???? surely the american's must know??

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
I dont know what's in it, i'll have a look on saturday it normally lives on the floor behind the drivers seat.

Check the pressure . . . never re-use one that's been started.

Check what you've got @

Black = CO2
Blue = Water
Biege/green = Foam.

Foam works on ANYTHING !

55starchief

Black = CO2
Blue = Water
Biege/green = Foam.

Foam works on ANYTHING !

Wrong mate all extinguishers are RED nowdays only the label depicts what type it is

Jamieg285

I'm pretty sure the one I have is powder.

It came out of my race car, so it will be suitable.

55starchief

I'm pretty sure the one I have is powder.

It came out of my race car, so it will be suitable.

Powder ones are ok but once used kiss good bye to your motor as the dust ruins everything

FUBAR

never re-use one that's been started.

Its Brand new, borrowed it out of my mum's Hyundai. need to buy a new one of my own.

55starchief

Quoting: FUBAR
Its Brand new, borrowed it out of my mum's Hyundai. need to buy a new one of my own.

Also remember anything over 2 years old needs recharging, nothing worse than grabbing it to use it to find its charge has diminished to a pssssst