the end of the road for the mustang?

Started by philoldsmobile, April 02, 2008, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

well, after Swift autos having the mustang for nearly a month, it was collected and taken to paragon, as swift couldn't find the fault..

Nathan has gone through the car with a fine tooth comb, and again, a blank has been drawn, although something is obviously very wrong (a road test estimated it to be producing about 50bhp) no fault can be found.

a rough estimate on an ECU has come in at about £900, and there is absolutely no guarantee it will solve the problem

so.............................

apparently there is someone Geoff Caverhill at Astoria knows who is excellent in these matters, i'm going to take the car to him for a third crack at the whip, if that fails, its being broken, and i'm going to have to stomach a financial loss of close to 4 grand..

suffice to say, i'm really not happy..

55starchief

Fieldy

odd.....obviously there is something the matter, cant you get A 2nd hand ECU and test?

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

a rough estimate on an ECU has come in at about £900, and there is absolutely no guarantee it will solve the problem

could you not try chris's one?

philoldsmobile

its had another ECU tried, and no different, but there was no guarantee that ECU was good...

i would however like to try my ecu in another car... if that runs with my ecu, its not gonna be that..

55starchief

i would however like to try my ecu in another car... if that runs with my ecu, its not gonna be that..

Well chris's car is a similar year and im pretty sure thast it would be eecV

art b

feckin hell
if you didnt have bad luck ...you wouldnt have any.....
you could always ram a v8  in it....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

philoldsmobile

whats really odd is that since passing my test in 95, my luck with cars has been absolutely outstanding, despite all manor of wierd creations, some home brewed (V8 cortina for example) i've never really had any significant problems at all..

the V6 stangs were all EEC VI - it debuted on the V6 and was used on the V8 from the introduction of the 4.6 in 96

chris's car is only a few chassis numbers down from mine, so i'd expect it to be identical..

philoldsmobile

i've actualy done more miles in the alfa this month, than i have in the stang this year..

Fieldy

Fieldy

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

EDGE

try swpping the ecu with someone if they dont mind..... thats gonna be almost free.....

HardRockCamaro

What is it actually doing Phil?

Will it rev, freely and under load (eg if you force the box to hold 2nd)?
Does it feel like it's missing, under idle and under load?
Any smoke or fluid loss?
Have you been able to pull any error codes (if there are any).
What happens if you unplug one HT lead at a time?
What happens if you unplug one injector at a time?

Does the transmission shift normally?
Is *anything* else electrical misbehaving?

What has been replaced so far in checking this out?

If fluids and smoke are ok then it (whatever "it" is as I have no idea of the symptoms) has to be electrical surely?
As for a new ECU, I'd want to try yours in another car first as that's big chunk of dough.  (on that note, do the ECUs control the immobiliser by being matched to a key?)

The thing is, it's been completely pulled apart to have those head gaskets done so I'm wondering if something was either not plugged back in properly (or at all), or if something was damaged during it.  It may not have been apparent right away.

Rob

estimated it to be producing about 50bhp

sounds like limp mode....

F Body

Try your ECU in Chris's that way there is no risk to Chris's ECU, in case there is some sort of major fault in your wiring

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Have you been able to pull any error codes

Would have thought that if it's running so badly it would have to throw some codes

Good luck little Dude !

Incursus

Quoting: F Body
Try your ECU in Chris's that way there is no risk to Chris's ECU, in case there is some sort of major fault in your wiring

I have no problem with so long nothing bad happens to my car.

though my coil blew up so you'll have to wait for a few days...or temporaly swap that as well.

anything I can do to help consider it done dude.

EDGE

ah..... like one big happy family....

dibs on playing the part of the sleezy uncle

Roadkill

Cunning Plan

:ot:

Quoting: EDGE
dibs on playing the part of the sleezy uncle

I call lolita nympho farm girl daughter with a liking for animals and scat play
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

EDGE

------------------------  <- gutter level

about 20 feet of crap and filth

CP <- you

<-me

I appologise for the crudness of this model... i didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it...

Cunning Plan

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

Rocky

Does it run rich or lean?
Does it have crisp throttle response?