starting to dislike 3rd gens help

Started by Gator, April 23, 2008, 01:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gator

does the misery ever end

right since changing the dizzy cap and rotor

the camaro idles erracticly, when you start it it sometimes it sits at 1100 and sometimes at 1900 while its doing this it occasionally dips a couple of 100 revs or idles erracticly for a few seconds the settles out

when you then put it in gear it drops several 100 revs and the engine dies 50% of the time

i had it die while slowly going round a roundabout

sometimes the engine check light comes on at startup and gives codes 34 and 36 which are both MAF sensor but i dont know if this is relevant coz the car has allways done this  :dontknow:

help

Rob

Try cleaning MAF sensor with carb cleaner and spray a little up the air intake.

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

nick69

Sorry to hear of the troubles dude

Gator

Quoting: Rob
Try cleaning MAF sensor with carb cleaner and spray a little up the air intake.

gonna do that anyway but would a dirty MAF cuase the symptoms ?

Gator

Quoting: nick69
Sorry to hear of the troubles dude

had it 2 months and managed to use it once

i friggin hate electronics it makes everything go wrong

nick69

I think my old Dodge is up for sale, get shot and buy that!!! Its shiney now mind

Rob

Quoting: Gator
gonna do that anyway but would a dirty MAF cuase the symptoms ?

MAF reports to ECU what the air intake is so it can adjust fuel mixture.  If its dirty or malfunctioning then it can cause the engine to behave erratically.

Gator

Quoting: Rob
MAF reports to ECU what the air intake is so it can adjust fuel mixture. If its dirty or malfunctioning then it can cause the engine to behave erratically.

cheers mate it looks a bit shitty tbh i will get some carb cleaner tomorrow

i will report back asap

art b

what about the weights in the dizzy are they gunked up...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Gator

Quoting: art b
what about the weights in the dizzy are they gunked up...

what do you mean mate ?

55starchief

what do you mean mate ?

the counter weight for the advance

Gator

Quoting: 55starchief
the counter weight for the advance

that might be worth a look the dizzy was all i messed with before this happened

philoldsmobile

there aren't any counterweights in the dizzy on the thirdgen, it has ESC - electronic spark control- all of the advance is taken care of by the ECU, hence the reason there is no vacuum connection to the distributor.

Gator

Quoting: philoldsmobile

there aren't any counterweights in the dizzy on the thirdgen, it has ESC - electronic spark control- all of the advance is taken care of by the ECU, hence the reason there is no vacuum connection to the distributor.

so its more likely IAC or something upsetting the ecu

is there any sort of vacuum module on the trans ?

philoldsmobile

uhhh... from memory there is a vacuum modulator on the trans i think... cant be totally sure though.

MAF could be a possibility, as could IAC, or about a million other things.. the burn off relay does ring a bell, though, i recall it showing itself in a lot of different ways when it goes..

Roadkill

EDGE

dude, you dont have much luck with running problems do ya......

have you checked all the simple things like ht leads or the plug on the dizzy, something could have been brittle and snapped when it was moved..  Have you tried putting the old capa nd rotor back on, the new ones may be wonky

FUBAR

The burnoff relay / circuit not working would, by the sounds of things eventually cause the MAF to get gunked up over time, and as we say the MAF allows the ECM to alter A/F mixtures so would affect running, I say clean the MAF, if this solves the problem check the Burn off is working correctly as instructed in that thread. because if its not then the problem will only come back.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Fieldy

Quoting: FUBAR
The burnoff relay / circuit not working would, by the sounds of things eventually cause the MAF to get gunked up over time, and as we say the MAF allows the ECM to alter A/F mixtures so would affect running,

I have no ******* clue what any of that means....

Gator

right i cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner now i am getting code 22 which is TPS

i will check the TPS with a meter

Gator

Quoting: EDGE
dude, you dont have much luck with running problems do ya......

have you checked all the simple things like ht leads or the plug on the dizzy, something could have been brittle and snapped when it was moved.. Have you tried putting the old capa nd rotor back on, the new ones may be wonky

tell me about it this car was supposed to be a summer runaround while i carry on with the firebird but since owning it i aint touched the pontiac coz i have been sorting out non stop problems

i have checked the obvious but thats the thing with these computer infected cars faults are never obvious

Roadkill

thats the thing with these computer infected cars

Amen.

Carb it !

Gator

Quoting: Roadkill
Amen.  

Carb it !  

soon as its fixed its gone

55starchief

but since owning it i aint touched the pontiac coz i have been sorting out non stop problems

serves you right for buying a cheby