Main Menu

dune buggys

Started by Gator, April 30, 2008, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gator

i have allways had a hankering to build me one of these i noticed a half finished one while out walking the dogs today it looked like an abandoned project to me but in half decent condition

am thinking small block chevy

anyone know anything about them

FUBAR

There was a wicked (and i mean REALLY wicked) Sandrail buggy that sold on eBay recently, it looked like a load of fun!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

Oh and i nearly forgot...

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Gator

*Most* of them are built on Beetle chassis..  You can put any aircooled flat 4 engines up to 1641cc in it without having to really think (a few bolts its in ).  Any bigger than 1641cc and you will be spending alot more money, but again an engine that fits in quite easially..

Thats the 'stock' engines you can put in, of course they can all be tuned and played with, big assed 48 IDF carbs with a scat racing cam with get them moving.  But you can pretty much put anything in if you have the skill, as with most stuff....

Get a tax exempt bug chassis and have a great toy that wont cost a mortgage to keep

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/search.php?searchid=2984900\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/search.php?searchid=2984900 is a good resource for information and to find one for sale... (let me know if you cant log in)

For example, this is £1800..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

I believe almost without exception they are VW based..

i think the problem (asside from size) with the chevy engine would be weight - the car would be very heavy in the tail.

for more power than the beetle engine, how about one of the popular alternative flat 4's such as the subaru boxer, or the alfa romeo 1700 flat 4

both engines are easily obtainable, reliable and powerful. the alfa engine runs carbs (easy to install)  the injected subarau engine would take a bit more work, but make a real fire breather of a buggy.

as the caterham 7 replicas proved, in a light car, too much power and torque end up making the car slower and less fun.

great thing about kit cars is they are open to interpretation, so no two are ever the same.

art b

and ya dont need an sva, if they are on a vw chassis and you have a log book...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Fieldy

They rock!
Quoting: philoldsmobile
or the alfa romeo 1700 flat 4

......*Awaits Gators response*.......

Gator

cheers lads

Ryan my arse aint that big

the one i have seen has the body mounted on the chassis and some cool looking split rims fitted

i suspect a small block might make that a bit hairy to drive and maybe less fun than a volks engine

it would have to wait till the firebirds are done

but

hmmmmm fix camaro = sell camaro = buy dune buggy

phil you aint gonna sell me anything alpha give it up

Gator

btw tax exempt chassis ?

is that just pre 72

CJ-IROCZ

My dad had one, well actually it was a baja bug, with a rover V8 in it.  It was a nigtmare to drive as the front would lift up under hard acceleration.

He had major problems with overheating and sold it in the end

Cunning Plan

is that just pre 72

Yup, although strictly January '73 is aswell, but look for '72.  If you go older than '70 then you will have to buy a disc brake upgrade kit as the fronts will be drums and in a fast light buggy thats not the best thing..

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
a baja bug, with a rover V8 in it. It was a nigtmare to drive as the front would lift up under hard acceleration.

A dub engine would be much easier to fit and 'play' with as there is sooo much available for them.  A well set up 1641cc with good carbs will push out 100+bhp which in a lil buggy will be more than enough!!!!!!  

hmmmmm fix camaro = sell camaro = buy dune buggy

There wont be many yank cars left on this forum at this rate, which is quite relivent to FBs post about the rising amout of yank cars currently up for sale possibly due to the insane fuel prices

Cunning Plan

the btw is about the fuel prices, not selling your yank becuase tbh, I dont blame you..

55starchief

Dont mess with the DUB engine, just throw in a pretzel motor 220BHP for teh win !!!!!111111

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: Cunning Plan
the  btw is about the fuel prices, not selling your yank becuase tbh, I dont blame you..

he'd still have 2 left if he sold the maro

Cunning Plan

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
he'd still have 2 left if he sold the maro

LOL thats pretty hardcore..  

Gator

yep the maro was allways a temp thing

i still got these

Roadkill

Is that a turnip field in the background of the first picture ?

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill

I so forgot we had that, if we hadnt alreadt got we should have changed it

Roadkill

: gator1 :

and

: gator2 :

Maybe ?

55starchief

And to think whe we added that w thought we would never need it

Gator

nobs turnip smiley

ist pic aint my place but oddly enough we have a veg field at the back of our house and there are indeed turnips heh heh

root veg rules

dont tell Art, he is prone to mockery

Cunning Plan

i still got these

That Ponty Bird is SEX.

Fieldy

Your motors rock dude

art b

dont tell Art, he is prone to mockery

i represent that remark......
the field looks like it is full of scared sheep
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: