what yank should i aim for ?

Started by Sammy Lou, February 14, 2006, 09:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy Lou

I have been thinking of treating myself to a yank and i would like to know peoples opinions on what would suit me best.  i love the 50's cars, but am open to suggestions.

55starchief

What budget you got in mind?

If you like the 50's style have a look at some of the early 50's models. They tend to be a little smaller and more curved

philoldsmobile

moved!

depends what you want to use the car for, what milage, will it be the only car how much do you want to spend etc...

my sugestion for an older car would be a chevy corvair convertible. pretty, suprisingly cheap and very usable.

all old verts are nasty daily drivers though.

how about a ford falcon? the size makes them a good first yank, and once again, a pretty car.

philoldsmobile

or a dodge dart?

i nearly swapped my 67 cortina for a 64 dart wagon with the hemi 6

55starchief

How about the following

1953 Studebaker Champion Starlite

1953 Buick Super

1951 ford wagon

philoldsmobile

couldn't see any of those as a first yank!

ford is ok, but the buick is fugly.

philoldsmobile

F Body

Are we talking as a daily driver ?
I'm thinking about parking and poo-poo markets etc ??

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile
couldn't see any of those as a first yank!

ford is ok, but the buick is fugly.

and a 3rd gen is a super model right at least 50's cars had style and thats what sam said she was looking for.

philoldsmobile

no - the buick looks like either a jelly mould, or something from the wacky races!..

i'm guessing this would be a daily, so something mid size would be better, but unfortunatley most yanks away from the 70's and 80's fetch big money.

even a nice falcon is gonna set you back about 6 grand..

i really think a falcon, valiant, dart or nova could be just the ticket, but be careful, all of these came without power steering or brakes if a base model, and just wouldn't be suitable.

also, are you sure about using a yank as a daily? the ammount of door dents the astro has already picked up is unbelievabvle.

55starchief

No one mentioned a daily driver and the main year of interest was the 50's mate

Sammy Lou

Dean thinks i should just have a daily driver but tbh i want one for the shows,  am not sure on a budget yet

F Body

Do it - Do it - Do it - Do it - Do it

Sammy Lou

oh and i liked the buick but the ford is not my cup of tea! i know that i do like the car from christine so i guess anything like that really

philoldsmobile

yanks dont always make good dailys especialy older ones..

i think you would find a 50's car very unsuitable for daily use, it would probably be cheaper to have a showcar and a chavscort if its really a 50's car you want.

considerations aren't just running and driving, what if its broken into? cant call autoglass out to that baby to replace the window - the car could be out of use for weeks while searching for glass..

even with THE most popular yank in the UK, i had to take a day off work and do a 240 mile round trip for a used window when my camaro was broken into.

a new window was available, but cost over £300 - oddly, more expensive than a windscreen! the place that supplies glass for yanks localy only stocks 80's onwards though, anything else has to be orderd and takes 4 - 6 weeks

55starchief

Quoting: Sammy Lou
oh and i liked the buick

Its a sweet looking ride. Most of the early 50's looked like that i have books showing all 18 manufacturers and the models they made from 50-59. Will bring it along on friday and you can have a look

philoldsmobile

cars that old are pretty involved to own, they arent turnkey like a modern car...

be sure you know what you are getting into.

Sammy Lou

Thanks graeme I would like to look at that book, I am sure Dean can give me a few pointers,  but as i said earlier i am open to suggestions,  

Roadkill

Chevy Corsair is a good idea . . . . Maybe Ford Ecoline (?) sorry, I Mean't custom . . . christ know where that came from . . . . AMC Pacer.

Ford Custom :::

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
AMC Pacer

I was going to suggest that one

Incursus

Roadkill

55starchief

Roadkill

I Think she's safer going with a more modern one at first . . . then see what she thinks . . .

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
cars that old are pretty involved to own, they arent turnkey like a modern car...

be sure you know what you are getting into.

Agreed.  It'll be ME who's doing the Servicing, jump starting, bulb replacing etc . . . . after all.