I gotta new exhaust...

Started by Flip Martian, May 07, 2008, 08:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flip Martian

Not been on a while so apologies for that - what a mad year. Anyways - I got a new exhaust for my '99 Camaro!

MOT in March showed the undercarriage to be in vgc for its age but the exhaust was showing its age a bit - and I had thought about getting something a bit more....well you know..."oomph"-ey...so I talked to my friendly mechanic and they ordered me an IMCO Flowmaster with twin stainless steel pipes, no tips. I picked it up last Saturday - sounds SO much better. More like an older Yank V8 now - turn the key, instant growl.

And all supplied and fitted for less than 300 big ones. Big thumbs up to Nathan and his dad at Paragon in Northampton - gents, the pair of 'em.

Bugger, I suppose I should have thought to take pics... Anyway - Paragon are well recommended.

Incursus

Saw it and heard it on Monday

ianjpage

howdy nice to see you back....sounds like u happy and thats main thing with it

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
nice to see you back....

Flip Martian

Ta all - and yes, I'll get a pic....

Actually the best bit is telling people how much it cost and their jaw hitting the floor...

Flip Martian

Okaaay...pics taken tonight (I knew it would never get done otherwise). Excuse the less than polished paint - that was the weekend rain for you...clean and shiny Saturday - manky by Monday.

Front:-

Back, showing the pipes:-

And underneath to show the goods off:-

Fieldy

Nice ride dude, I want it....

Flip Martian

Quoting: Fieldy
Nice ride dude, I want it....

You'll have to prise her out of my cold, dead hands...! I love her to bits...

Roadkill

The under side of your car looks very clean . . . .

You been taking pointers from Martyn ?

ianjpage

Flip Martian

Cheers!

Quoting: Roadkill
The under side of your car looks very clean . . . .  

You been taking pointers from Martyn ?

Ummm nope - not sure who that is? The exhaust has only been out for 2 days though so its not had chance to get too grimy yet.

Funnily enough though, Nathan at Paragon reckoned under the car was in far better nick than he usually sees for Camaros that age. I've not done anything to the underneath meself...just had careful owners.

Roadkill

Quoting: Flip Martian
not sure who that is?

That F-Body.

Also known as "cleans each car and motorbike inside and out every weekend" person.

I've not done anything to the underneath meself...

The easiest way to keep rust at bay is just to ensure there's no build-up of mud on the underside and to hose-down after driving through salt.

Third / Fourth gens normally are pretty good for rust resistance . . . even my Z28 at 25 years has minimal rust underneath.  My Fourth gen was 10 years old when I had her and, although utterly ragged, the body was totally rust-free.

Flip Martian

Ahaaa..cool, cheers

Mine (Euro model) has a healthy covering of underseal but yeah, I've stuck the hose under the car to make sure its salt free.

I don't have that much time on me hands that I can clean the car inside and out THAT regularly but with a car like that, it deffo looks its best being driven out when its clean and shiny so I try and throw some water over it regularly.

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
That F-Body.

Also known as "cleans each car and motorbike inside and out every weekend" person.

I represent that remark

Mine really isn't that clean underneath :

Flip Martian

When you take it out for a drive, do you have someone in front rolling out an infinitely long roll of carpet so it doesn't get dirty?

You put that black tyre dressing stuff on ya tyres, don'tcha?

F Body

When you take it out for a drive, do you have someone in front rolling out an infinitely long roll of carpet so it doesn't get dirty?

All the dirt you can see came from the Spring nationals at Billing, the place seems to get more rustic each year.

You put that black tyre dressing stuff on ya tyres, don'tcha

Just Armorall wipes

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: F Body
All the dirt you can see came from the Spring nationals at Billing

What dirt

Flip Martian

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
What dirt

I was just going to say that! Someone pass me a magnifying glass... Seriously - very nice nick, although if I was that into keeping it clean I doubt I'd ever drive it!

Remind me never to park mine next to yours - I suspect mine would look a bit shabby next to yours.

F Body

although if I was that into keeping it clean I doubt I'd ever drive it!

You mean your supposed to drive it

I actually walked to work this morning

Titsy

Quoting: F Body
You mean your supposed to drive it

philoldsmobile

i had a flowmaster on my camaro, although it was never quite as loud as i wanted it did sound lovely.

(i had the 80 series, in reflection 40 series would have been better)

Incursus

Got a Flowmaster on the Mustang.  Best thing I did cos stock it sounded like a boring old Alpha or something .  Not quite V8 sounding but still much better.

Fitted it myself though, for free (with Titsy and RK's help)

Flip Martian

Lovely bit of kit, the flowmaster.

Quoting: Incursus
Fitted it myself though, for free

I can barely put up a shelf, never mind fit a new exhaust Wouldn't really have the time to learn either to be honest...

My daily driver Civic needs a new exhaust - I bet that costs more than the Camaro's did...

FUBAR

3" High flow Cat + Borla Catback FTW for my 3rd Gen   Not cheap but well worth it, even though it took a few tweeks to get exactly how I wanted it.

(Hooker Air-Tube Headers next to finish the job!!)(when i actually have some cash)
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...