This is starting to smell a bit fishy . . .

Started by Roadkill, May 12, 2008, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

Am I worrying too much ?

This guy who brought the Caddy is sending a friend over tonight to pick it up.

Fine, O.K.

I asked his friend via text that I assume he's paying by cash.  He replies that he'll be paying by paypal.

???

Does this sound dodgy to anyone else ?

EDIT - I haven't yet recieved any paypal payment.

philoldsmobile

dont really seem that fishy to me, might just have a friend who happens to be in the area.

however, there is no way i'd release the car until the money was showing in your paypal, or preferably bank account..

i seem to recall it can still be snatched back if its in paypal..cant be sure on that though...

55starchief

Yup, sounds odd to me, i would say cash or feck off

Cunning Plan

Dont accept, cash on collection ONLY, deposit by PP OKAY, but not full balance.

Its not your money until its in your bank account, they could get car back and charge back until the cows come home..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

Quoting: philoldsmobile
the money was showing in your paypal

Even if the money is in your pay pal account, 1 call to their credit card company and that money is refunded to them and your PP account frozen.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

Yup cash in the hand and sign it over to the friend on the logbook mate

ianjpage

Quoting: Cunning Plan

Dont accept, cash on collection ONLY, deposit by PP OKAY, but not full balance.

exactly what CP says - cash only as it does sound questionable, but benefit of the doubt and all that ... i also wouldn't take more than 100 on the paypal as deposit just incase!!

Roadkill

I've sent him back :

"Hi, if you are intending to pick the car up tonight payment must be cash.  Sorry, but paypal transactions can be cancelled even after the money is transferred."

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill

"Hi, if you are intending to pick the car up tonight payment must be cash. Sorry, but paypal transactions can be cancelled even after the money is transferred."

Roadkill

I've just emailed the "buyer" direct :

Hi,

Your friend, Jakob, has told me that he is planning on collecting the car tonight but paying via paypal.

Unfortunately paypal is not secure in the sense that transactions can be blocked or cancelled after payment has been made.

This has happened recently to a friend of mine and this was not protected by paypal therefore I can accept paypal but only in advance, cleared cheque or cash.

I'm sorry but I'm sure you'll appreciate my caution given the quantity of money involved.

As stated earlier, I'm happy to wait until the weekend in order to give you more time to arrange the funds.

Regards, Dean.

ianjpage

best way - interested to see what, if any, reply u get!!

Roadkill

No reply as yet . . . My bet is that I either get no reply at all or no reply and he still turns up saying that he never got the messege.

art b

i read of some one who sold a ps3 on egay buyer collected ,paid by paypal then got the money back seller left 300 bucks out of pocket..

your cash at the weekend sounds the best way....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

ianjpage

No reply as yet . . . My bet is that I either get no reply at all or no reply and he still turns up saying that he never got the messege.

well if he does then say sorry but cash or take a hike!!

Quoting: art b

i read of some one who sold a ps3 on egay buyer collected ,paid by paypal then got the money back seller left 300 bucks out of pocket..

your cash at the weekend sounds the best way....

Yeah that is the trouble - you always take a chance on anything that uses some form of credit card / electronic payment.... i always tend to transfer any large sums of money right away when they get into my paypal account, just in case

Roadkill

Hmm.

Sounds like I was definately right to question it, then.

I must admit I'm not a fan of selling stuff on ebay . . . I've never had any issues but once I've cleared the loft of crap I don't think I'll be selling much more through ebay.

ianjpage

Hmm.

Sounds like I was definately right to question it, then.

I must admit I'm not a fan of selling stuff on ebay . . . I've never had any issues but once I've cleared the loft of crap I don't think I'll be selling much more through ebay.

Yeah always right to be cautious.

Hmm i think its fine so long as you are sensible on how you sell things, small value stuff is not an issue, but anything that goes for more than a few hundred is either cash if collecting, or paypal but as soon as it hits the paypal account, txfr it out!!

Motorama

Cash is king!

Even if the Paypal payment was legit they take 3.8% commision plus Ebays commision. All of a sudden it's not such a great way to sell.

On the other hand i've sold dozens of cars on Ebay without a single problem or comeback. Your description looked honest, it could just be a 'lost in translation' thing.

Roadkill

We'll see.

Still no response, yet, when up to now they've been very prompt.

FUBAR

I was about to say everything that has already been said  in this thread... so this is a bit of a pointless post apart from to say i too think that you're right to be cautious
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Gator

for what its worth it sounds dodgy to me

Rocky

Def sounds dodgy, if your willing to give a bit by waiting for cash he hasnt got much of an excuse.

Roadkill

He (or his mate) actually texted me as I was leaving work to say he 's bringing cash !

Trust me.  I'll be checking it.

55starchief

Roadkill

Roadkill

Turned out to be very geniune in the end.

Paid cash - albeit £5 short . . . I wasn't gonna argue.