Oh No, Camaro Broke

Started by Amey, May 15, 2008, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

Quoting: Cunning Plan

The pipes on my dub diesel van used to blow ALOT, 4 times in total, some of the top hoses totally exploded. ALot of people said it was head gasket pressureising the system, but it wasnt using any water and after doing a presure leak test it was fine.

A friend of mine used to build ali rads and had a customer with the opposite of  above. He blew the rad and they fixed, he then blew it again and they told him that something was over pressuring the system. He said no it was the rad failing so they rebuilt it for a 2nd time. Well it blew again and the guy got real nasty so they said no problem we will build you a complete new unit only this time they used an intercooler core. Well after the following weekends race the guy was back again, turns out like they said it was over pressuring the rad only this time instead of the rad failing the block of his ferrari let rip and a rather impressive way From memory the intercooler was rated at like 5 bar so you can only imagine the noise when that block went

ianjpage

oh and the pipe connector thing has quite literally just blown the end off - no damage to the connector itself that i can see  but it aint going back together so the AA man did a "temporary" fix - pipe connector and 2 jubilee clips

Incursus

Rob

Quoting: Incursus
Bad news

Reccon Philo's bad luck has rubbed off a little......

ianjpage

Quoting: Rob

Reccon Philo's bad luck has rubbed off a little......

Hmmm yeah good point - hadn't thought of that ....

PHIL - its all your fault

Jo

So sorry to hear your car is broke

F Body

Quoting: ianjpage
thanks all for the ideas...pretty sure its head gasket though -

Had a few head gaskets go on I4 & an I6 motor, but without compression testing each side, how are you gonna know which side has gone on a V6

Amey

Well, after testing it again this evening we now have some good news

It's not the Head Gasket
Now seems to point to a clogged/broken thermastat
Gunna test it later when the engine has cooled down.

Engine itself is working fine, fan coming on and going off all ok

F Body

Quoting: Amey
It's not the Head Gasket

HardRockCamaro

It's not an Alfa

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

It's not a mustang

sounds like better news, if its the stat or hose related,
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Chevy 4 teh win !!!111

Whip out that stat - done !

I can lend a hand tomorrow if needed.

ianjpage

Yeah hopefully looks like there an issue with the stat and the hose just dimply failed due to age ...

The gunk in the rad is the samein the expansion tank and TBH looking at it in the light looks very much like the original coolant when it came in teh country - which would fit with the stat being jammed up with gunk

Gunna ring round tomrrow and get a replacement - not gunna bother pulling it out till next weekend - gunna stick some rad flush in it as well for a week then flush it all out next week and change stat at same time.

AS vicky said - we re did the test 3 or 4 times and came up fine every time, the car is running fine in itself now - stinks of coolant though!!!!

art b

ya could ba lucky then.....

a91_formula

Ian - don't forget when you do refill the cooling system it's dexcool you need - good luck in finding some - I couldn't
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

F Body

Quoting: a91_formula
Ian - don't forget when you do refill the cooling system it's dexcool you need - good luck in finding some - I couldn't

USeless Automotive did start selling it and it was £18.28 for 5 litres

If your stuck I have an unopened 5 litre can in the F body spare parts store

art b

Quoting: F Body
If your stuck I have 47 unopened 5 litre cans, in the F body spare parts store

a91_formula

Quoting: F Body

USeless Automotive did start selling it and it was £18.28 for 5 litres

I did try Useless but they told me there was a 6 week leadtime and then they couldn't guarantee they'd get any.  Ultimate Spares told me the same thing ?? but then they even tried to charge me nearly £200 for a reconditioned water pump for my Maro and were also very rude to me - where as Ultimate Spares quoted brand new for £100 and were really really nice to me !! (sometimes I hate being a woman!!!!!)  I wonder who got my business

The modern Chevro-poo/Dae-let's as well as the Vauxhall VXR (v8 models as least) all use a similar coolant, so check out your local dealers.
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)

philoldsmobile

john woolfe racing have penzoil dexcool on the shelf..

ianjpage

Checked it out and don't need to use dexcool as it's had other coolant in it so i can get away with some other stuff - or so i believe according to the manual...

a91_formula

Apparently that's why you're clogged up - the two don't mix  stick with Dexcool
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)

a91_formula

Quoting: philoldsmobile
john woolfe racing have penzoil dexcool on the shelf..

From what I understand Ultimate Spares get their Dexcool from - iirc.
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)

ianjpage

Apparently that's why you're clogged up - the two don't mix   stick with Dexcool  

Hmm have to check that out then as intend to fully flush and drain the system, so see if i can get away with normal rather than uber expensive dexcool....

sixpack2639

Look at the cap on the overflow bottle; if it says DEXCOOL you need to have DEXCOOL in there. If it doesn't say DEXCOOL; ethelyne-glycol based coolant is just fine.

Basic rule of thumb is you can add DEXCOOL to e-g coolant systems but you CANNOT add e-g coolant to DEXCOOL.

DEXCOOL was initally designed for aluminum engines to prevent scale and corrosion of the aluminum.

And that's my lesson for the day. LOL

Cheers, Carl