Oh No, Camaro Broke

Started by Amey, May 15, 2008, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianjpage

cheers for that carl... makes sense....

Will be flushing it very well and not using it if i can help it.....will have to see....

Titsy

DEXCOOL isn't that expensive (I should know, i've been through enough).... I got mine at John Wolf last time...

F Body

Quoting: sixpack2639
but you CANNOT add e-g coolant to DEXCOOL.

Because the Dexcool has a very high Silica content and therefore even if repeatedly flushed will still contaminate EG coolant

a91_formula

Quoting: F Body
Because the Dexcool has a very high Silica content and therefore even if repeatedly flushed will still contaminate EG coolant

Agree m8.  

Ian - looks like it's Dexcool all the way m8 - sorry!   best to be safe than sorry......
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

art b

probably explains the problems,.... a dodgy mix

will be cheaper in the long run  to use dexcool id imagine.....

i aint arguing wiff carl anyway  
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

ianjpage

Plan is to now run some flush stuff through it this week and then drain, flush and clean the system on the weekend then replace the stat and see what happens.....

Flip Martian

I've been told by several different people that Dexcool should be flushed OUT at the earliest opportunity - using it has generated a number of lawsuits in the States for damage to motors - it sludges up over time apparently.

Paragon in Northampton found my Z28 still had it and flushed it out completely as part of the last service I had. They replaced it with some American alternative - I'll dig out the papers at home if anyone's interested.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/gm-dexcool-lawsuit-may-soon-gain-class-action-status/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/gm-dexcool-lawsuit-may-soon-gain-class-action-status/

Roadkill

I think the difficulty is flushing it all out 100%.

Who knows what was in my LT1.

ianjpage

Hmm interesting reading.....

sixpack2639

Quoting: Flip Martian
I've been told by several different people that Dexcool should be flushed OUT at the earliest opportunity - using it has generated a number of lawsuits in the States for damage to motors - it sludges up over time apparently.

There were problems with DEX when it first came out several years ago but has been reformulated (about 4 years ago) and anything on the market now should be the new formula. To be safe, check the date of manufacture on the bottle.

a91_formula

Quoting: Roadkill
I think the difficulty is flushing it all out 100%.

Exactlw what I was going to post - there is no way that with all the nooks and crannies within an engine block would you get all 100% out!
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

F Body

Quoting: ianjpage
Hmm interesting reading.....

"For what it's worth, the Autoblog staff has found that Dexcool works just fine in a cooling system that is free of contaminants and leaks, but indeed the stuff will turn into a gooey mess if mixed with anything but distilled water or if exposed to air."

When I changed mine I diluted it with 50% filtered water, dam sure it didn't say anything about using distilled water !

Also over time it's going to get exposed to air in the header tank ?

ianjpage

Yeah thats what i though - its not an air tight system as such...

Think ill get the Dex stuff and flush very well to be sure of any cr*p being flushed out and see what happens then!!

F Body

Even when new freshly mixed it's a lot thicker than EG, which is supposed to be the reason it removes more heat ?

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
which is supposed to be the reason it removes more heat ?

Hasn't it got "hole-plugging" particles in it, too ?

F Body

Hasn't it got "hole-plugging" particles in it, too ?

Dunno it's just an orangy pink liquid

Flip Martian

I've only heard good things about the guys up at Paragon so I just went with their advice - and they said they do it as routine with loads of GM cars including Camaros and Firebirds with no probs, so I trusted them to do the right thing; they're certainly passionate about their motors up there.

Unfortunately my better half has filed my paperwork from the service somewhere so I can't lay my hands on what they used as a substitute right now... Serves me right for not filing it properly myself...

Roadkill

I've only heard good things about the guys up at Paragon so I just went with their advice

Nathan's a good bloke.  Got a sweet car, too.

Flip Martian

Nathan's a good bloke. Got a sweet car, too.

Certainly is, and he certainly has. Saw his Dad's Maserati Biturbo last time I was in - can't help think it looks like a big Fiat. Mind you, he said it had all the build quality of a Punto...

philoldsmobile

Certainly is, and he certainly has. Saw his Dad's Maserati Biturbo last time I was in - can't help think it looks like a big Fiat. Mind you, he said it had all the build quality of a Punto..

it is a big Fiat.. kinda..

Maserati are owned by Ferrari who in turn are owned by Fiat. ditto Alfa Romeo and Lancia, also owned by Fiat.  I love that maserati, so subtle, but with a twin turbo 3.2 V8, bloody hell does it go!

worth surprisingly little now though (about 10 - 12k)

art b

worth less, as it needs two new turbos....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

CJ-IROCZ