God give me strength

Started by CJ-IROCZ, May 19, 2008, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ-IROCZ

I think i'm going to have to drop my headers again There is a leak that i cant seem to remedy so i thinking about dropping them and buying the Hooker 2055's

For those who have not done it before its a fecking nightmare, so i'm currently at a cross roads. what makes things worse is that one of the bolts went in funny when i installed them so you can imagine what problems i'm going to encounter . So do i

a) Leave them and except there will always be a slight leak

or do i

b) bite the bullet, rip the f*ckers out and instll some nice jet coated 2055's

Really wish i had brought the Hooker right off the bat along with some shit hot gaskets

philoldsmobile

wouldn't recomend leaving the leak, that cylinder will be running slightly hotter, and eventualy could burn the exhaust valve..

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: philoldsmobile
wouldn't recomend leaving the leak, that cylinder will be running slightly hotter, and eventualy could burn the exhaust valve..

Yeah, thats what i read.

I really dont want to do it again though. My knuckles and temper have ony just recovered

philoldsmobile

try changing a lexus starter motor.... anything else is easy - up to and including blindfold knitting in a box of bungees...

Ian and i called time on the job (half done) after a couple of hours, the lower bolt was easy ish (sort of) the connections are super easy, but there is no obvious possible way of removing the top bolt, its completely inaccessible from any angle..

i get a feeling its gonna be undoing the engine mounts, and the tranny mount and pulling the engine forward an inch or two..

needless to say, i'm booking a flatbed for friday!

55starchief

Are the headers on a single piece manifold, as what most people do is cut the plate by each port so you can clamp down with a good seal

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: 55starchief
Are the headers on a single piece manifold, as what most people do is cut the plate by each port so you can clamp down with a good seal

I did think about trying to cut the header manifold but there is no way of getting at it. I'm thinking that once the headers are off, the heat will probably have distorted the steel even more. I should have done it right first time and gone for the 2055 / expensive gasket combo

Phil that job sounds a right b*stard. I had to remove the engine mounts on the 'maro to lift the engine to get enough clearances.

Its funny because some owners on the thirdgen boards have done the job in a few hours. For most its a right PITA

My head hurts just thinking about it.

It made the engine / tranny removal on the '83 seem easy

Fieldy

I have no idea what you are talking about.....

art b

i remember the pics .........

more chance of getting ya hands down a nuns knickers,
than around them headers.......
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Big Mouse

I use the best header gasket available - its called silicon frame sealant, about £5 from B&Q, Wickes etc and it seals everytime

Ripped knuckles are Gods way of reminding you to get the wife to do it - smaller hands!!

yorkshirespud

When I had my '79 Camaro the headers were blowing gaskets every other months. So when I got my truck, I bought the heaviest-duty headers I could find (inteneded for motorhomes!) and the best FelPro half rubber/half  metal gauze gaskets I could. Never had a problem with the truck at all.

CJ-IROCZ

I really regret not using decent gaskets.

I'm praying the bolts might have worked themselves lose a little. I'll try that first when it gets back from its MOT tomorrow

Gator

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ
I really regret not using decent gaskets.  

I'm praying the bolts might have worked themselves lose a little. I'll try that first when it gets back from its MOT tomorrow

warm the motor slightly before you try the bolts

CJ-IROCZ

Does that help them bite better then steve ?

F Body

No it cauterizes your skinned knuckles

Gator

it helps work em loose and if you splash a bit of WD about as well they should come out mate

CJ-IROCZ

Oh i see.

I was hoping that they had worked themselves free and that was the reason for the leaking headers

I'm not going to do the headers this until the winter even if they are leaking slightly, I really need to get some use out of this camaro

art b

Quoting: F Body
No it cauterizes your skinned knuckles

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: