Engine machinists locally ?

Started by Roadkill, May 22, 2008, 05:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

I'm looking to get some quotes for some engine work.

Anyone recommend anyone local-ish.

I'm looking at needing a mains' line-bore . . . and (possibly) a cylinder bore and hone .

A full clean as well.

Do WRE do this ? - I forgot to ask when I was down there last.

55starchief

Try payne's in bicester , they did the work on my 287 block, you could also try ICE  up at silverstone

http://www.iceautomotive.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.iceautomotive.co.uk/

Payne
Oakfield Industrial Estate,
Eynsham,
Witney,
Oxfordshire
OX29 4AW

If your having it rebored ask if they have a torque plate! also your going to need the pistons 1st

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
ask if they have a torque plate!

Isn't that best for high RPM uses ?

I'd question whether they'd bother - and just charge me anyway !

Quoting: 55starchief
your going to need the pistons 1st

I know.

I need the prices to factor into my master plan.

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill

Isn't that best for high RPM uses ?

As far as i know its for accuracy when boring as the block so that there is no twist

Roadkill

It's to simulate the torque applied by the cylinder heads AFAIK.

Then there's square decking the block but that'll start getting expensive !

55starchief

Well all i know is andy told me if i had the 400 bored over here to make sure it was carried out.

Jamieg285

It's to ensure that the when the block is cut, it's stressed in the same way as it would be when assembled.  It makes sure the bores will be correct when bolted up, not just when bare.

I can't see it costing any more to be done with it, but you never know.  Personally, when I get mine done I will be making sure they have one.

Big Mouse

Quoting: Roadkill
I'd question whether they'd bother - and just charge me anyway !  

Nick and Rob at ICE will only do what you require, they're nice guys.

WRE don't do this type of work.

Pete Knight at Knight Racing Services in Daventry is excellent (built my engine) and knows his stuff. He'll also offer sound advice about combinations.

Roadkill

Quoting: Big Mouse
WRE don't do this type of work.

Didn't think they did.

I'll try calling ICE, then . . . .

55starchief

Nick and Rob at ICE will only do what you require, they're nice guys.

Yeah my mate andy recomended them to me as well if i needed stuff doing over here

Pete Knight at Knight Racing Services in Daventry is excellent (built my engine) and knows his stuff. He'll also offer sound advice about combinations.

Yup again very professional, he did the polish and balance on my pontiac crank, best set aside a couple of hours as he loves to chat ;)