What's the best way of removing this . . ?

Started by Roadkill, May 22, 2008, 02:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadkill

I've tried a little heat and just plain hitting it.

It doesn't appear to have moved at all.

Yes, I have removed the bolt.

I need it off so I can remove the chain cover to sort out plugging the Optispark hole and begin cleaning the block properly.

55starchief

You need my balancer install removal tool, will bring it over saturday morning if you can wait, if not i can always pop over tomorrow night seeing as nothing else is going on

Roadkill

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
Yeah, need it ASAP, really.

No problem will bring it over tomorrow night

Roadkill

I just hope I've got an appropriately sized core plug for the Optispark hole . . .

55starchief

Couldnt you simply replace it with the earlier waterpump cover?

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Couldnt you simply replace it with the earlier waterpump cover?

I don't think they're the same.  Secondly - it's not for cosmetics - I'm guessing the Optispark drive shaft is splash/drip oiled . . . without a plug I'd have oil everywhere.

55starchief

I don't think they're the same. Secondly - it's not for cosmetics - I'm guessing the Optispark drive shaft is splash/drip oiled . . . without a plug I'd have oil everywhere.

Isnt the timing chain behind there mate so there would be oil anyways.

art b

I've tried a little heat and just plain hitting it.

It doesn't appear to have moved at all.

i had a method involving... ratchet straps,springs,compressed air and radioactive isotopes .

but im keeping it to myself......
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Isnt the timing chain behind there mate so there would be oil anyways.

Yes the chain is behind there . . . I can't remember the arrangement for oiling on a SBC so I'd need the pulley mount off / cover off to remind me.

I'll go from there.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: art b
and radioactive isotopes

*eyes light up* oooooh, do tell!!! i love a bit of atomic jiggery pokery

Roadkill

O.K - the Balancer removal tool doesn't suit the LT1 pulleys.

In fact GM actually sell a specific tool for removing these pulley hubs - no use to me at $311 and when I need it sorting today.

Well, after a little head scratching and searching the net to see how others have done it, I decided something different.

Basically I clamped still the bit which was supposed to move by bolting through the bit which was supposed to bolt on.

Then I part screwed in the bolt which was supposed to be taken out, re-adjusted said bolt every full rotation and, after a couple of minutes - hey, presto.

Sorted.

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

philoldsmobile

Gator

ianjpage