Looking for sensible car

Started by Incursus, February 16, 2006, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incursus

As most may know my bro has just had a baby.

Unfortunatly his Hyundai Coupe is a little small and can't fit baby and accessories.   (good reason not to have a sprog tbh )

Any way.

He is looking for a largeish family car for £2500 ish.
I'm thinking Mondeo but I know little about cars of this type any recomendations?

And no american cars!!!!!     (not yet anyway)

Roadkill

Vauxhall Vectra . . . . Hatch/Estate.

Should get a good'un for £2.5k.

55starchief

Should be able to pick up a volvo, i think art paid about 2.5k for his

Lusty Lass

Congrats to your bro!

As you know, we have an Astra, which is similiar in size to the Vectra. (Personally, I prefer the drive of the Astra to the Vectra. Poss more reliable).

It would probably be less expensive that the Vectra and the boot space is OK. Depends on what buggy they have. Our boot can take the pram wheels and the carry cot and cos we only have the one (at the moment...) the changing bag can go in the back seat.

Should we increase our Gibson clan, we had thought of a Honda CRV or some such equivalent cos they have much more boot space. Don't know how much they would be tho'.

Don't bother with anything smaller than an Astra (eg Corsa) cos the boot is far too small. Failing that, your bro could keep the Coupe and simply add a roof rack. It is good for babies to have a bit of fresh air - tires them out

Incursus

Quoting: Lusty Lass
Failing that, your bro could keep the Coupe and simply add a roof rack. It is good for babies to have a bit of fresh air - tires them out

I did suggest this....

Incursus

Quoting: 55starchief

Hmmm I like that idea

nice car with a lot more prestige than a Ford or vaxhall

Lusty Lass

Quoting: incursus
a lot more prestige than a Ford or vaxhall

oi! watch it

Incursus

Don't bother with anything smaller than an Astra (eg Corsa) cos the boot is far too small

They have a Saxo (corsa sizeish)  and its also too small.

Yeah astras nice (not the new one the one before)

Incursus

oi! watch it

Vauxhall still leagues above the Ford though imho.  I like em personally, my ex-wife had an Astra was a nice drive.

Lots of space inside as well.

Most uncomfortable seat Ive ever sat in though, but it was base model, and I think the problem was more that you couldn't adjust the steering wheel.

55starchief

Most uncomfortable seat Ive ever sat in though, but it was base model, and I think the problem was more that you couldn't adjust the steering wheel.

Never had a vauxhal with a comfortable seat, If i drive one for a coule of hours i have cronic back ache for at least a week after

Roadkill

Never had a vauxhal with a comfortable seat, If i drive one for a coule of hours i have cronic back ache for at least a week after

Try driving my Chav'scort.

Sammy Lou

What about a cadillac plenty of room in the back of one of those,

FUBAR

Quoting: Sammy Lou

Yeah room for at least 8 Bodies Buggies in the boot
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Sammy Lou

and three kids and a big dog on the back seat

art b

hmmmmmm tell us more!
hes not lookin!
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: art b
hmmmmmm tell us more!
hes not lookin!

Yeah, I wish . . .

Incursus

And no american cars!!!!!

art b

i bought the v70 on impulse at the auction,
was cheaper than fleabay,
great car goes like a rocket,the load space is the big plus point,although the 20v turbo bit makes it fun,

mine had immaculate history never been anywheren but volvo main dealer,[up to now] it looks in great shape,next to no wear,and they do screw em together properly,

and its only done 137k miles!!!!
they hold the road well too
great family car really!
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

Quoting: art b
great car goes like a rocket,the load space is the big plus point,although the 20v turbo bit makes it fun,

Yeah I'll suggest one, after his coupe he wont want anything too slow.

Seems like a sensible compromise tbh

Cunning Plan

get a diesel!!!

I would keep away from vauxhal and anything french

A Volvo would rawk though great cars, uber well made.  The only old car i have had that did not rust even after 140k odd was my old 340.  First car 1.4 rear wheel drive weeeeeeeeeeeeee
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

Quoting: Cunning Plan
and anything french

preaching to the choir

Incursus

He's looking at the V40's  V70 only just within budget.

Get more for his bucks etc...

philoldsmobile

get a diesel!!!

I would keep away from vauxhal and anything french

A Volvo would rawk though great cars, uber well made. The only old car i have had that did not rust even after 140k odd was my old 340. First car 1.4 rear wheel drive weeeeeeeeeeeeee

good advise there.

i'd avoid vauxhall too, they either seem to be very reliable or very unreliable, depending on what day of the week they were built..

Volvo would probably be my choice too, you should be able to get an S40 for under " grand if you look.

i had a 340 1.4 too, great little car, comfortable went ok for what it was, and reliable.

volvo's image has improved immensely recently, but they have always made fantastic cars.

philoldsmobile

and anything french

preaching to the choir

sort of....

i had a renault 11 GT turbo when i was 17, the 125bhp aniversiry spec version.

mine had been tweaked quite a bit under the bonnet (but fortunatley not chaved) and made about 175 BHP

that thing was an absolute rocket and huge fun... crap but fun!

Incursus

What about this Third one in list

1997 R Reg VOLVO V40 2.0i SE Manor Cars

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=VOLVO&model=V40&min_pr=1000&max_pr=3000&postcode=MK4%201HJ&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.a sp?nU=0&make=VOLVO&model=V40&min_pr=1000&max_pr=30 00&postcode=MK4%201HJ&miles=40&max_records=50&mode lexact=1&photo=1

Done 140K miles though, Execelent condition 4 new tires. 6 months tax
and MOT till Sept.

Mileage is a bit high you think these engines/gearboxes will handle that?