dammit... great timing..

Started by philoldsmobile, February 16, 2006, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

on the way out last night, i suddenly noticed something...

yup, for no apparent reason at all, the windscreen in the astro has cracked!

about 3 inches long, just above the area for the vin number, so i cant even see it from the drivers seat, unless i look in the gap between the instrument binicle and the steering wheel..

phoned autoglass (apparently some cracks can be repaired) and they weren't interested, but launched into their hard sell for a new screen, even offering to phone my insurance co and sort that out.. the reason they were so keen to sell me a screen? they want £620 for it!

clay windscreens will be able to do it, going on the cost of the one i had in my cutlass (£160 + VAT) i'm guessing about £250

i'm gonna speak to rocky, because there are a couple of bits around the screen that could use a repair, and might as well get the roof painted while the screen is out..

FUBAR

Quoting: philoldsmobile
might as well get the roof painted while the screen is out..

What???
Isn't that like Saying May as well get the exhaust done while the air cleaner's off???  i'd have thought they would be completely unrelated...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

not really... the screen surround has some rust bubbles on the top lip, and to repair it, youd have to blow the paint somewhat into the roof (like the bit thats already painted black.

all you gotta do is unscrew the roof bars, and blow the rest in to get rid of the horrible scabby roof..

to do it properly at a later date would probably require removing the screen again.

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
not really... the screen surround has some rust bubbles on the top lip, and to repair it, youd have to blow the paint somewhat into the roof (like the bit thats already painted black.

The worse paint jobs are done with all the glass in situ, Ryan.

Like that the water can effectively get under the paint and lift it.

By removing the screen (normally a job avoided like the plague) you can spray around the screen lip and know it's protected when the new screen rubber goes back.

FUBAR

Quoting: Roadkill
By removing the screen (normally a job avoided like the plague) you can spray around the screen lip and know it's protected when the new screen rubber goes back.

Oke Doke
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...