Main Menu

header gasket

Started by CJ-IROCZ, July 03, 2008, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ-IROCZ

Just received new fel-pro gaskets and stainless bolts for my headers as the stock gasket has never sealed properly.

I want to make sure these suckers seal properly so would you reckon its okay to use some sort of gasket sealant ?

55starchief

cut the manifold between the header tubes

CJ-IROCZ

The trouble is the buggers are in there now and there isn't enough room to cut a cutting tool in there and I'm DEFINATELY not taking them out again.

It makes sense though as i suppose it would allow each port set to seal independantly

Any ideas on sealants mate

55starchief

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ

It makes sense though as i suppose it would allow each port set to seal independantly

Thats honestly the best way mate, try a reciprocating saw

CJ-IROCZ

good thinking batman

Roadkill

Any ideas on sealants mate

yOU'D NEED SOMETHING LIKE FIRE PUTTY (i THINK IT'S CALLED)

Damn CAPS LOCK.

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
yOU'D NEED SOMETHING LIKE FIRE PUTTY (i THINK IT'S CALLED)

Trouble is if it does seal, you'll never get it apart again without causing damage to the parts

CJ-IROCZ

oKAy roADkIll tHaNKs FOr thAT  

Quoting: F Body
Trouble is if it does seal, you'll never get it apart again without causing damage to the parts

That doesn't sound good

55starchief

Also that stuff has a tendency to crack and drop out, found this out on the westfield, we had a 4-1 collector and i was forever repacking the tubes to stop exhaust blows

Roadkill

I've used it with no problems . . . Admittedly If you're trying to plug an inch gap it ain't gonna work but smearing between surfaces then bolting together always worked fine for me . . .

Jamieg285

I personally wouldn't use any sealant, just make sure they are tight and then re-tighten them in a week or two after they've been through some proper heat cycles.

nick69

As G said, the best way is to cut them. Ive been lucky enough as mine arent in atm so ive cut them ready.

CJ-IROCZ

Job is completed

Couldn't cut them as there was no way enough clearance to pull them away from the heads and cut, maybe 10mm max.

They seem to be sealed up nicely although I'm sure the Y-pipe is leaking. I'll get under the car on the weekend.

Not that it makes a difference with sealing but i SOOOOOOOO wish I had gone for the ceramic headers. So if anyone is going for a swap make sure you do or you'll regret it like me.

Big Mouse

For sealing headers you really only need a bit of exterior frame sealant from B&Q; most of the the drag race community use it; it works every time; comes off easy when you need to get them off and it won't break the bank.

Just don't put to much on or you'll be finding n your clothes, fingers, tools etc for an eternity afterwards. A real thin bead, like pencil lead size, is all thats needed.

nick69

Suprised you use it as its acid based

55starchief

yeah but drag race boys are always pulling the motors apart

Roadkill

Quoting: Big Mouse
exterior frame sealant

Frame sealant . . ? I don't recall seeing that - As in window frame sealant ?

i SOOOOOOOO wish I had gone for the ceramic headers. So if anyone is going for a swap make sure you do or you'll regret it like me.

My first choice is Stainless - but I'm having issues with the supplier . . . . next choice is Hooker Ceramic.

Big Mouse

Frame sealant . . ? I don't recall seeing that - As in window frame sealant ?

Yep. Hasn't done any damage to my block; I've used clear silicon on it before now too.

The fumes from an exhaust are corrosive enough to negate any additional issues with the low acid content in sealant.

art b

im surprised silicon dont go soft/melt and blow out.....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: Big Mouse
Yep. Hasn't done any damage to my block; I've used clear silicon on it before now too.

Cool.  Will keep that in mind.

CJ-IROCZ

Hooker Ceramic

2055's

FUBAR

I SOOOOOOOO wish I had gone for the ceramic headers.  So if anyone is going for a swap make sure you do or you'll regret it like me.

Thats my plan
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

2055's

No, 2210's - I need the 1.75" primaries to match the LT1's ports.

CJ-IROCZ

Oh yeah i forgot your going LT1