Main Menu

idle missfire

Started by CJ-IROCZ, July 07, 2008, 04:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ-IROCZ

The maro has developed a mis fire on idle. I dont notice it mising when driving but thats not to say it isn't there.

I'm going to check the obviuos things tonight like plug leads ect but I could do with some suggestions from you guys.

The idle rev's seem low and there is also a slight exhaust leak but Thsi is a definate missfire.

Gator

plug lead i reckon is the rev counter a bit twitchy

55starchief

Check your vacuum line on the advance of the dizzy

Gator

is it vacuum advance though

what engine is it craig

CJ-IROCZ

L98 mate, the rev counter is a little twitchy at low revs

I'm going to have an inspection at dinner time.

I hate little problems like this

55starchief

is it HEI as it might be the coil pack on the way out as the rev counter takes its feed from that

CJ-IROCZ

I have just checked the leads and dizzy cap/rotor arm and they all look good , as they should as they were only replaced about 500 miles ago.

I'm going to take it up a friend of mine who's a mechanic and knows a bit about V8's. hopefully its something simple but something tells me this could be a pain.

CJ-IROCZ

Stupid question but can you pull the spark leads off the dizzy whilst its running ? just to see if there is an obvious problem on one or more cylinders

55starchief

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ

Stupid question but can you pull the spark leads off the dizzy whilst its running ? just to see if there is an obvious problem on one or more cylinders

YUP

Just make sure you use a pair of insulated pliers as a 40,000v shock isnt nice

F Body

Quoting: 55starchief
YUP

Just make sure you use a pair of insulated pliers as a 40,000v shock isnt nice

As I was going to post " You can but it hurts ! "

Gator

how old is the dizzy

55starchief

Quoting: F Body
As I was going to post " You can but it hurts ! "

no thats what happens when you put your hand on top of a coil pack used on a hart 1500cc turbo, that was about a 100,000 shock. The guy lost feeling in his arm for almost 5 mins

CJ-IROCZ

My mate reckons its either vacuum leak or a plug, there isn't a huge difference when you pull one of the leads off.

I've had a good look but there are no noticable leaks. there is 2 pipes that run under the plenum one goes to a cannister in the front right bumper area and one goes to some sort of valve directly below the plenum. Both then finish at a plastic junction under the distributor but there are no pipes coming out of the other side of the junction

th plugs are not very old but the car has been stood since fitting them + they are champions and my mate reckons they are shite

Might just order a set of good ones , anyone recommend some.

CJ-IROCZ

Looks like the 2 vacuum lines that run under the plenum go to the EGR solenoid.

CJ-IROCZ

would injectors give the problems i'm experiencing ?? andanyone know how to check injectors

55starchief

would injectors give the problems i'm experiencing ?? andanyone know how to check injectors

Possible, you need a set of noid lights to check injectors, but if it was those i would expect to see the SES light on

CJ-IROCZ

noid lights ???

No SES lights though

Gator

you can do injectors with multimeter

55starchief

noid lights ???

they plug in where the injector would and flash mate

Have you pulled the vacuum line of the egr to see if it makes a difference?

CJ-IROCZ

No, I think thats my next step. I'm going to pull the plugs and check them and then pull the vacumm lines whilst its running to seem if there is any difference.

I'll post what happens tomorrow.

Gator

it could also be the idle air valve if its low on revs it could need a clean or might be buggered

art b

it just needs a feckin raggin a brisk run, craggy....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

CJ-IROCZ

tried that Art but stil no joy

Steve IAC is on my list, is it the electrical connection on the lower left hand side of the TB ?

Gator

yep the square one under the throttle position sensor

Pod

You could put a vacuum gauge on it and actually see what's going on....