treading dangerous waters... alfa romeo tuning.....

Started by philoldsmobile, December 29, 2008, 12:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

heard nothing but good things about celtic tuning, they remap ECU's (shifty has been in my brothers mates VW bora TDi mapped to 200bhp and 300lb/ft and can attest it works very well)

thinking about getting the 166 mapped, any thoughts?

also, there is a company called autolusso that can fit the Q2 LSD system for £500. the alfa forum rave about it, so thats on the wish list too..

Fieldy

ianjpage

philoldsmobile

HardRockCamaro

Tuning prestige brands just seems wrong to me...

The engineering expertise of Porsche, AMG, Jaguar or whoever "improved" by a guy with a laptop changing a few numbers and then doing thorough testing by nailing it around an industrial estate and up the bypass?  Right...

philoldsmobile

i agree, but depends on the what you're expecting, i'm in two minds, because with petrol engines its just 'cleaning up' the bits on the graph that are compromised for emissions and noise testing, the gains are more throttle response and drivability, rather than outright power.  Diesels have more power to gain, but trade that off with a lot more vibration and smoke.

all modern car factory maps are a compromise, as they have to meet certain emissions standards for drive by emissions tests that only have to be passed once for type approval, there is also often an area of the map thats is richened (conversely against emissions) as well, to get through drive by noise testing, as richer engines run quieter.

a decent tuning company can 'adjust' the map to put the fueling back to how it 'should' be without these emission and noise 'adjustments'

the Q2 diff is an alfa romeo part, and part of their after market enhancements package, so its not so much tuning, as simply up speccing the car.  After all, you can throw a bucket of money at a Mercedes, but as long as those bits have AMG written on them, its perfectly ok, i wouldn't dream of fitting a loud exhaust, and i don't even fancy a k&n filter. Being the sport model, its already 40mm lower than a base spec car. (the difference is quite obvious when you compare photos of my old 2 liter, with a pic of the V6 i have now)

as for lowering springs cold air inductions or hacking off egr's etc, i completely agree, seems to go completely against sanity, as the car was developed to work that way.

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
any thoughts?

Baba baba bababa tinkle tinkle pop pop pop K-BOOOOMM !!!

ianjpage

VIPER

Buy a monaro VXR 500........

Got a mate in luton that does all the remaping...
Evolve on sundon business park....

http://www.evolveyourcar.com\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.evolveyourcar.com

we had a decent club dyno day at Evolve earlier in the year and a few weeks ago i returned, car infront was a BMW 335i i watched it gain 70bhp after a remap, these guys know there stuff and are featured in the peformance mags quite a bit

Incursus

thinking about getting the 166 mapped, any thoughts?

Nothing against aftermarket tuning I would probably do it for a modern diesel but for the 166.....if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Your luck with cars is even worse than mine.

As for the LSD I don't know how your car handles but if I could I would definitely fit one to the Mustang....so yes.

lowering springs

Depends on the car.  

philoldsmobile

def not fitting lowering springs, being the sport version it is already low enough

HardRockCamaro

Remapping turbo cars brings large power increases through extra boost.

Naturally aspirated cars never gain much.

An exhaust, air filter and remap are all well and good, and give better throttle response, but it makes very little difference to real world performance.