winter car control

Started by art b, February 08, 2009, 01:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art b

it looks pretty calm from the outside
but on board it was opposite lock to opposite lock every few seconds...and up to around 30 mph on packed snow.......fwd for the fun...

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g74/artburge/?action=view&current=DSCF3341.flv\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

This one's better:

http://www.youtube.com/v/mquHC4X6Vs4\">http://www.youtube.com/v/mquHC4X6Vs4\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\">

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

winter car control... italian style.

locate button by gear leaver with sport throttle response

press, so little yellow light goes off (TC and less aggressive throttle map now on)

drive and enjoy

Titsy

Quoting: philoldsmobile

press, so little yellow light goes off (TC and less aggressive throttle map now on)

drive and enjoy

That's not really the driver exercising car control is it...

I've had zero problems with the Focus in the snow and ice, but you don't see me banging on about how fantastic it's been every other post...

Seriously dude, why don't you give the Alfa a rest and bang on about Macs for a while...

HardRockCamaro

drive and enjoy

winter car control... American style.

Drive car as normal.

Let Northstar and Stabilitrak system just deal with it.

Andy

Just out of interest, what would be the fuzz's view on having fun in a car park.

Friday night on the way home from the pub (hadn't drunk anything) me and my mate went past an empty and completely frozen car park. It was a council pay and display jobby and I must admit it was ruddy tempting. But what would it be deemed as dangerous driving? Or is it private land?

Other than that, ace vids!

Roadkill

Quoting: Andy
what would be the fuzz's view on having fun in a car park.

Dunno, they'd probably give you a slap on the wrist, but it'd take a proper a$$hole of a copper to really get in trouble - unless you were taking the p!ss.

A quick couple of donuts are harmless, IMO . . .

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Drive car as normal.

Indeed.  The Eldo has no fancy buttons to alter the MAP but still behaves itself providing you don't drive like a c*nt.

EDGE

I didn't dare drive the fox body in the snow, wide tyres, huge globs of torque, rwd and an auto box are disaster waiting to happen.

What i did do was take gemmas corsa out.  I can HONESTLY say that I've never driven a better car in snow/ice conditions.  It's a 1.2 auto so has no massive power to control.  It does have a little button on the gearbox with a snow flake which as far as i can tell disables 1st gear and then shifts up earlier along with reducing the harshness of kickdowns.  It also has tiny skinny tyres which dug in to the snow right though to the road... absolutely AWESOME....

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Titsy
I've had zero problems with the Focus in the snow and ice, but you don't see me banging on about how fantastic it's been every other post...

Seriously dude, why don't you give the Alfa a rest and bang on about Macs for a while...

something about reaping what you sew....

for every anti alfa comment, there will be a pro alfa retort..

art b

there will be a pro alfa retort..

ya cant have many left....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

something about reaping what you sew....

for every anti alfa comment, there will be a pro alfa retort..

I didn't/havn't made an anti-alfa comment... And yet I still have to suffer the pro-Alfa campain... WTF...

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Titsy
I didn't/havn't made an anti-alfa comment..

really? and HOW many flatbed jokes have you made recently?

anyhoo, this aint getting anyone anywhere.....

HardRockCamaro

I'll take that:

How many Alfa's does it take to need a flatbed?

One.

(on a side note you're quite lucky because as I drove out of the estate at work today the flatbed from a few doors down was driving in and had a 146/7 on the back of it but I couldn't grab the cameraphone in time! )

philoldsmobile

(on a side note you're quite lucky because as I drove out of the estate at work today the flatbed from a few doors down was driving in and had a 146/7 on the back of it but I couldn't grab the cameraphone in time! )

no flatbed required, but mine is in to have a noisy wheel bearing changed today!

great design and poor design, all in one - great design means the bearing takes less than 2 hours to change - many FWD cars can take 5 times that. on the flip side (the bearing isn't pressed into the hub, its bolted) its a very wierd bearing with a square flange as part of the outer race - therefore its £76 just for the bearing!

HardRockCamaro

Yeah I know I shouldn't take the piss as the Caddy had to go hoe on a flatbed once after the the unsecured jump start pack slid across the boot floor into the grounding plug hidden behind the carpet on the drivers side.

Stupid place to put it.

EDGE

Yeah I know I shouldn't take the piss as the Caddy had to go hoe on a flatbed once after the the unsecured jump start pack slid across the boot floor into the grounding plug hidden behind the carpet on the drivers side.

Stupid place to put it.

damn riht... who would leave a jumper pack in the boot....... I did say that was gonna break something

anyways,

i saw a renault megane (58 plate) today that had driven though a fairly large puddle and then immediately stopped.. hazzards flashing the lot...

fooking hillarious, perked my day right up....

F Body

Quoting: EDGE
i saw a renault megane (58 plate) today that had driven though a fairly large puddle and then immediately stopped..

A common problem with Renault's because they have very low air intakes at the rear of the engine.......aka Snorkels

Compressing even small amounts of water in a 4 stoke engine causes serious damage

Big Mouse

Has it been snowing then? I didn't notice in the Merc 4x4

ianjpage

Quoting: Big Mouse
4x4

Hmm, hows it coping with the icy conditions....would it move / tow a short distance the GMC ??? (see other thread as to why!)

Titsy

really? and HOW many flatbed jokes have you made recently?

Let me count......... 0

Roadkill

Quoting: EDGE
i saw a renault megane (58 plate) today that had driven though a fairly large puddle and then immediately stopped.. hazzards flashing the lot...

fooking hillarious, perked my day right up....

My guv'nors BMW got stuck in the car park this morning.  My old Eldo and another guys toyota made it in fine.

Then the woman in the snacks van (a VW) got stuck, too.

Bad day for German cars.

HardRockCamaro

What happened to the holy German Engineering and the Ultimate Driving Machine then?

Wrong type of snow?

Incursus

I had to be pushed into my parking bay this morning

But other than that no problems

Big Mouse

Most of the problems on the road during snowy weather are related to the twat behind the wheel rather than the vehicles ability to handle a few inches of snow.

I followed a queue up into CMK in Thursday morning until they all stopped because virtually no one in the queue knew how to approach a slight incline in the snow.

There was a Toyota and a Mercedes thrashing their engines to death, wheelspinning all over the place, but getting nowhere other than blocking most of the road.

I drove up the central reservation (in considerably deeper snow I might add) to get past them but a Mondeo calmly drove past them on the road, spinning his wheels ever so slightly, at about 15-20 miles an hour, just taking it easy.

They've got to make this part of the driving test.