Project Transmission Swap...

Started by Titsy, March 22, 2009, 02:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titsy

So, I collected a 2nd hand transmission from Wirral on Friday and have spent some time over the weekend cleaning up the case a little and doing a few jobs to get it ready for transplant.

I have removed the old filter and drained the ols fluid, and scaped the old gasket off of the pan and casting. also gave the pan a good clean out and cleaned up the bolts as they were a bit grubby.

I couple of things will need to be swapped over from the old transmission when it comes out. There are some minor electrical differences between the '95 (my car) and the '96 (doner car), so I need to swap out the internal wiring harness and the 3-2 kickdown solenoid.

I was reluctent to reuse parts from my troubled transmission, so i've ordered a replacement solenoid which is in transit for the 3-2 kickdown, but the wiring harness was $270 for a replacement, so i'll be checking this over and reusing it from the '95.

I've already removed the wiring harness, but will be leaving the 3-2 solenoid in place as it retains the valve plunger which would otherwise pop out. The solenoid takes seconds to replace so i'll do this while fitting the '95 harness.

I will also need to fit the tail housing and speed sensor from the '95, so i've also got a new seal and bush kit coming, again this shouldn't be to much trouble.

My plan it to do the swap on Saturday coming (28th) in the workshop at work in Buckingham. The level surface, heat and light seemed like a good idea... If anyone is interested in helping out then feel free to volenteer and i'll let you know where the unit is...

So, some requests....

Phillo,

Any chance you could pop into JWR and grab me some Dexron III transmission fluid? I need 11.2 quarts (US) - 10.6L... Preferably a known brand name...

also, has Anyone got a low level transmission jack I could borrow before I go to the effort of making a cradle for my trolley jack?

If anyone has jack stands I could borrow the more the better, I have four but two are in use and I need about six or seven in total to do the job...

Dean,

we're going to need torque wrenches; a good selection of sockets, extensions and UJ's; flare-nut spanners...... That's all I think... Cheers

All being well, and assuming it doesn't snow next weekend I think i'l go for a nice drive next Sunday...

Shifty

I've got one of deanos torque wrenches, but we know where it is so i'll try and remember to bring it along, if i can make it.

Titsy

F Body

I'd like to help but I have two Uni assignments to submit before 6th April

Titsy

Quoting: F Body
I'd like to help but I have two Uni assignments to submit before 6th April

No worries mate... We'll see you at the meet though right?

FUBAR

I'm pretty sure i'm free this Saturday coming so am happy to help if needed.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
If anyone has jack stands I could borrow

As long as I get the 'Maro back on it's wheels before then, yes, plenty.

Dean,

we're going to need torque wrenches; a good selection of sockets, extensions and UJ's; flare-nut spanners...... That's all I think... Cheers

Yup, no problem.

Quoting: Shifty
I've got one of deanos torque wrenches

Oh, yeah.

Titsy

Quoting: FUBAR
I'm pretty sure i'm free this Saturday coming so am happy to help if needed.

Cheers Buddy... I've got a set of ignition leads to go on while it's off the ground so there's plenty to do...

ianjpage

Think i should be around if ya need more hands....

Titsy

Quoting: ianjpage
Think i should be around if ya need more hands....

Three's probably more than enough, but if you're at a loose end then please do feel free to join the fun.... Free tea and coffee is available and i'll hook the workers up with some lunch...

Big Mouse

I've got 4 2-tonne stands if you need them.

I'd check the inside before you fit it too, bands, pump etc - better than finding a problem after its fitted

Titsy

Quoting: Big Mouse
I've got 4 2-tonne stands if you need them.

Cheers Ray... I'll give you a shout if I need them...

I'd check the inside before you fit it too, bands, pump etc - better than finding a problem after its fitted

To be honest, i'm not 100% comfortable with taking appart the rotating assembly. I'm happy working on the valve body, but I don't what to get into stripping the pump and rotating assembly out as I don't have anywhere clean and dry that I can lay things out properly. I don't want to do it if I can't do it the right way.

The trans is low milage, pulled well and shifted cleanly before it was pulled, so I'm happy to fit it and see. If it's not right then it's my bad and feel free to say I told you so...

I am planning on doing a postmortem on the failed trans, so i'll have a better idea on how they go together...

Roadkill

I am planning on doing a postmortem on the failed trans

Ooooh, Can I be scalpel passer ?

ianjpage

Three's probably more than enough, but if you're at a loose end then please do feel free to join the fun.... Free tea and coffee is available and i'll hook the workers up with some lunch...

let us know where the place is then

ianjpage

I am planning on doing a postmortem on the failed trans, so i'll have a better idea on how they go together...

Big Mouse

Quoting: Roadkill
Ooooh, Can I be dustpan and brush passer ?

Incursus

Should be able to help out if you need a tea boy/gofer  

unless I'm playing tour guide of course

Titsy

Mis-Quoting Roadkill: Ooooh, Can I be dustpan and brush passer ?

Big Mouse

I've also got tools, torque wrenches, socket sets yada yada yada if you need them.

And a new avatar!

Titsy

I've also got tools, torque wrenches, socket sets yada yada yada if you need them.

I don't suppose you have a transmission jack do you?

And a new avatar!

That's a little disturbing....

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
Ooooh, Can I have Dexron shampoo ?

ianjpage

cool - which bit - big one on left or ??

Roadkill

Quoting: Mis-quoting myself
Ooooh, Can I have Dexron shampoo ?

Hey, I only washed my hair last night - that means it's not due again until autumn.

Titsy

We'll have to find you a shower cap then...