Project Transmission Swap...

Started by Titsy, March 22, 2009, 02:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mouse

Quoting: Titsy
I don't suppose you have a transmission jack do you?

I have a powerglide -  why would I need a trans jack

Titsy

Quoting: Big Mouse
I have a powerglide - why would I need a trans jack
I guess the engine brakes often enough that there's never any need to pull the trans by itself...

philoldsmobile

i may be free in the afternoon on sat - depending on work.. its getting a bit manic ATM

Titsy

Quoting: philoldsmobile
i may be free in the afternoon on sat - depending on work.. its getting a bit manic ATM

Phillo,

Any chance you could pop into JWR and grab me some Dexron III transmission fluid? I need 11.2 quarts (US) - 10.6L... Preferably a known brand name...

philoldsmobile

JWR suck for dexron 3 - its cheaper in halfords! i believe you can get it in costco too..

Titsy

JWR suck for dexron 3 - its cheaper in halfords! i believe you can get it in costco too..

I checked in CostCo and they had nothing, and Halfrauds charge £7.50 a litre...

philoldsmobile

i seem to recall thats about what JWR charge, but i'll check.

what about motor serv? or car spares in stoney? gotta be cheaper than JWR?

last time i got ATF from JWR i thought it was very expensive.. i'll find out tomorrow as wed is the only day this week i'll be in the car.

Titsy

i'll find out tomorrow

Cheers...

Car Spares don't carry Dexron III, i'm going to try and get to Motorserve before they close tomorrow and see what they stock...

Big Mouse

I guess the engine brakes often enough that there's never any need to pull the trans by itself...

OUCH!! walked into that one

Titsy

Starting to panic that the seals, gaskets, solenoid and filter aren't going to be here in time for the weekend, they have been lodged in customs since Monday morning and they are listed as being on ParcelForce 48 hour delivery.... So unless they clear today there is little to no chance...

Roadkill

There's always some delay, though . . . I've had parts go from apparently being in Customs to delivered within 24 hours !

You may get lucky . . . Try calling the depot and ask to collect as soon as it arrives - they'll let you.

Titsy

Now showing as 'RELEASED WITH CHARGES'...

Titsy

This isn't going to happen this weekend boys...

I'm somewhat epicly pissed off right now... I've been intently watching this shipment of parts on Parcel Force tracking system, and during the night it made it to MK depot... So I rocked up there first thing this morning to pay the customs and handling fees only to be presented with a suspiciously small box. Sure enough when I open it up it's missing the filter, and pan gasket (not the end of the world as I can get these here) but more importemtly, the 3-2 solenoid is missing to... Out of $47 cost of parts, $30 shipping, and £15.63 in customs and handling fees i've ended up with only the tail stock seals which were a $6 kit, and having paid for an extra months road tax when that car is now going nowhere till April....

It looks like they just neglected to pack them as everything has been declaired and invoiced...

I've sent PATC an email explaining my feelings on the matter....

NOT FECKING HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!

ianjpage

Thats a real pain in the arse - couldn't have been the parts you could get here that were not in there....

Hope you give them hell !!!

FUBAR

Bugger!! thats annoying as hell
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

PATC

Who ?

That sucks, hard.

Titsy

They contacted me at 7:30am their time and are shipping the missing parts to be with me by Thursday, and they will be marked at $5 value so should not get stuck in customs... We will see what arrives and when, but the plan now stands for swapping out on 4th April... Not what I planned to be doing on my Birthday, but if it means I get to take the 'maro for a loon then it'll be worth it...

ianjpage

Titsy

F Body

I have a GM trans filter/gasket kit in the F Body stores if your stuck

Titsy

Cheers Martin, but like I said, the main problem is the absence of the 3-2 kickdown solenoid, and I absolutly will not salvage this from the old transmission...

I guess all this gives me a wee to punish the old trans... any ideas people?

Titsy

Ok, i'm now thinking of starting this on the Friday night and getting as much done early on as possible and then finishing off the job on Saturday... Any volenteers?

ianjpage

Ok, i'm now thinking of starting this on the Friday night and getting as much done early on as possible and then finishing off the job on Saturday... Any volenteers?

Should be around - what sort of time on friday though??

Roadkill

Not what I planned to be doing on my Birthday

And why not ?

I can't think of many better things to be doing, TBH . . . . . .

Titsy

Quoting: ianjpage
Should be around - what sort of time on friday though??

I'll be kicking off right after work (either 16:30 or 17:30 depending on if I manage to make it in for 8:45 all week)...

Quoting: Roadkill
I can't think of many better things to be doing, TBH . . . . . .

Indeed... I'm not sure my family will see it like that though...