new Ford fiesta... has the impeachable reliability gone?

Started by philoldsmobile, April 19, 2009, 08:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

many many reported problems, especially concerning the gearbox, and water ingress / door shut sensors... have ford cut a corner too far? seems ford are back on their budget car cheap and nasty qualities again. for what? so much work to earn a reputation of quality with the focus and mondeo, but its all down the pan again with the the fiesta..... yup, once again ford are the dustbin of motoring. why would you buy a new fester when the fiat 500 is so much better?

http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test-reports/Ford/Fiesta/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test-reports/Ford/Fiesta/

Fieldy

Mixed responses there, but yes, some definite 'silly' issues....

Quoting: Paul Clancy - Yorkshire
Bought new Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 3 dr, 01/03/09, for my daughter. Only 16 days old and noise coming from clutch/gearbox, only done 200 miles, will be back to Polar Ford this week.

Alas, he still voted 5 stars

HardRockCamaro

Looks like the transmission build quality is questionable.

Also the door/boot closed sensors.

I'll report this back to my dad who I know is going to buy one of these at some point, hopefully when they've tracked down their production issues.

As for a Fiat 500, do us a favour Phil...

Fiat are not, have never been, and never will be the epitome of quality build...

If you'd say VW...

philoldsmobile

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
As for a Fiat 500, do us a favour Phil...

Fiat are not, have never been, and never will be the epitome of quality build...

dude, its not 1982 anymore, try and find a negative review of the 500, its one of the best small cars out there, its almost non existent depreciation speaks volumes. The fact its seen as a genuine rival to the BMW mini says something..

Incursus

Quoting: philoldsmobile
dude, its not 1982 anymore

Never thought I would hear you say that

EDGE

fiat, alfa and mesaratti still do have a certain 'stigma' attached to them.  They're probably ok now, but I wouldn't buy a new fiat purely because of the past 30 years of churning out things that break when you go though a puddle...

there's a lot to be said for brand image and perception....

F Body

dude, its not 1982 anymore,

Dam is it 1983

The fact its seen as a genuine rival to the BMW mini says something..

Well out lickle Panda hasn't exactly been outstanding, new turbo and water pump etc before 40k miles in less than 3 years

EDGE

least thats honest :)

what about the fuel line rubbing on somethng???

Andy

The new 500 is pretty outstanding. Not anything like the fiat of old.

I think they might have actually cracked that thing called QA! And the styling is pretty good.

A guy at work has both a Mini Clubman and a 500, he would rather own a 500 that was the same size as the Clubman. He reckons it has much more character and a better build.

Where as his 500 has been faultless the clubman has been back in the garage twice, once with the suicide door deciding to not open, and the second because the window weather striping just lifting up. To which he was told, 'it happens'.

I would have a 500 if it wasn't so small. The Abarth looks like a beast, but is just... meh.

EDGE

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: F Body
Well out lickle Panda hasn't exactly been outstanding, new turbo and water pump etc before 40k miles in less than 3 years

I knew Phil was going to come back with that and your Panda was I'm afraid going to be the example...

As far as I'm aware the Fiat 500 and the Ford Ka are on the same platform...

We'll see how the Fiat and the Fiesta hold up over the next few years.
I know which my money would be on...

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Andy
Where as his 500 has been faultless the clubman has been back in the garage twice, once with the suicide door deciding to not open, and the second because the window weather striping just lifting up. To which he was told, 'it happens'.

That's because Mini's are BMW's and all the quality engineering that brings...

Mind you the engines are Peugeot and not good either...

Andy

So long as the Peugeot engine doesn't have a Peugeot ECU attached it should be ok. Not bullet proof but the ECU seems to be the thing that lets most of their cars down.

Thought BMW where ment to be well engineered?

I can't stand the fact that when you put his clubman and to a point any mini on full lock the thing makes a terrible noise! Whats with that!

F Body

Quoting: EDGE
what about the fuel line rubbing on somethng???

Jeeze you have a better memory than me

Fiat called it a "Thermal Incident" on the recall

Basically the fuel line rubbed on the engine block until it sprayed high pressure diesel onto a hot engine

They did it properly the second time

F Body

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
As far as I'm aware the Fiat 500 and the Ford Ka are on the same platform...

True but the engines & build quality are Fiat, mind you most GM diesels are FIAT sourced

daveyboy

build quality on fiats is poop.
reliability is an issue.
however they are fun to drive,  i recently bought this chinky sporting.
since ive had it( 3 or so weeks) ive used the astro once and that was for eddies.
ive thrashed it everyday, it corners like nowt else. and the best thing is £23 of juice gets it 300 miles.

it came with the a frame for towing behind motorhomes but we all know its for when it goes bang. lol.

F Body

Quoting: daveyboy
it came with the a frame for towing behind motorhomes

Feck me that's gotta be a bitch to park  

Does the reg No. end in ATM

daveyboy

philoldsmobile

there's a lot to be said for brand image and perception....

indeed there is.. ford dont exactly have a good image though, the term dagenham dustbin still gets bandied about quite a bit..

although the euro fords i've had have all been good, the mustang wasn't in any way, and a cirtain 2001 model focus i know of has major rust to both left hand side doors... (major as in the two skins have separated)

the new fiesta has a very nasty cheap looking interior too. I'm quite a fan of the focus and mondeo, but the fiesta seems a lot more flimsy.. i actualy rate the earlier ones higher (mk 2 and 3)

also worth noting in the JD power commercial vehicle survey, the transit connect finished dead last, behind every fiat, renault and citroen.

the transit we have at work has been excellent, but the new transit minibus my dad has went back to the dealer quite a few times.... ford are slipping.

edit - looks like ford have sorted the transit connect problems, as they are now no 1 (big tranny) and 2 (connect) in reliability stakes.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: F Body
Well out lickle Panda hasn't exactly been outstanding, new turbo and water pump etc before 40k miles in less than 3 year

and what happend to that 3 week old corsa you had when you bought the blue van???

Andy

To add to the list of Ford issues, always check any Ford Mondeo Mk3 that is prior to 2003 for a rattling/clattering from the intake manifold.

They invented some buttefly device that apparently improved fuel economy but unfortunately have been known to come loose and the whole fixture fall into the valve opening and or cylinder. Just a word of warning, as its not a well know fault...

philoldsmobile

a guy at work just had the same problem with his focus ST170

£600 to fix...

EDGE

a guy at work just had the same problem with his focus ST170

£600 to fix...

but if it was an alfa it would have been £1600 to fix, needed alfa special service tools A though H and then it'd want a full service just to make sure it was all ok.....

and really, you loved that mustang, you raved about it when you had it, until it went wrong, and really, it was the fault of the poeple you took it to that dragged the issue out and made you despise it.. If it was a simple day one diagnosis of "yeah, the motors fooked you need a new one" it would have been a 2 week turnaround and all would have been well with the world...  Ok, soo the motor shouldn't have let go, but that could hapen to anything.  It was really the lack of expertise that made the story so long winded

my focus (well i sold it but still see it, my cousin now has it) is 100% fine, never had anything actually break and its now done 10 years of service.  My dads sierra was mint, mume fiesta tdci is perfect (well, reliability etc wise, not keen on the seats) my xr2 never broke once,...........

my dads current bmw 328 is a heap of crap, its permenantly got some running issue that the dealers cant diagnose, there's a punto around the corner that hasn't moved in over a year (has the replacement motor in the back seat) and the DOOR fell OFF my sisters Pug 106.. fell off... OFF i tell ya....

still....  horses for courses... there is no end to this argument so instead I take a small bow....

<bow>

Fieldy

and the DOOR fell OFF my sisters Pug 106.. fell off... OFF i tell ya....

I love how you tell stories sometimes

Cunning Plan

Pug 106.. fell off... OFF i tell ya....

Yer, anything French is terrible from what Ive heard and seen. Guy's 106 at work has the wheel bearings constantly going which is weird as its not a heavy car.. Anothers 306 has engine lights on constantly, electric windows broken, driver's door handle broken from inside so he has to crawl out of passenger side!

Another girl has a Clio and always askes me to find parts for her, I call around but the parts usually end up being very expensive.

the new fiesta has a very nasty cheap looking interior too. I'm quite a fan of the focus and mondeo, but the fiesta seems a lot more flimsy.. i actualy rate the earlier ones higher (mk 2 and 3)

I dont know dude, I think the new Fords have brilliant interiors..

Especially the Mondeo:

They look the quality and spec of much more expensive brands..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)