Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

The Trusty or should that be rusty Panda
Been getting the old girl ready for her MOT next week

All Wire brushed and hammerited

and a new front fog light bulb.

philoldsmobile

thats pretty normal...

there seems to be a spate of rust problems on modern cars, all hidden. the lexus GS series are especially prone to it, with similar levels of corrosion from as little as three years old.

its largely due to the high proportion of recycled steel in modern cars..

FUBAR

Quoting: philoldsmobile
its largely due to the high proportion of recycled steel in modern cars..

That sounds about right, shame isn't it, try to do a good thing for mankind & planet earth and it comes back to bite you in the arse/wallet

TBH we're all ****** in the long run anyway, may as well enjoy it while it lasts, and a very good reason to own a V8 powered machine while we still can.
We just happen to be lucky enough to be alive in a time span of a couple of hundred years when the Human race is peaking & most people can find some way of being near the top of CP's "Social Needs Pyramid" that he posted a few days ago before either we and/or the universe finds a cunning & stealthy way to wipe us all out.  In the grand scheme of things (NO not Schkemakings for some reason i expect CP to know who and/or what the Schkemaking is)
If we as a race manage to survive the 21st century it will be nothing short of a small miracle, with the exhaustive rate at which we are using up all of the earth's resources, the proliferation of Nuclear arms and the political turmoil that is already present and escalating, especially in the current global economic climate and coupled with the lack or any realistic technology already in place to spread the human genome beyond the boundaries of planet earth the idillic "Star Trek" vision of human future is highly implasuible and rather optimistic...
At this point you're probably thinking, "Ryan's had a few beers" and you're right, but TBH i'm quite impressed that at this time on a friday evening i've managed to put across a very philosophical and meaningful point purely from the fact that Martyn has found some surface rust on his Panda  coupled with the fact that I don't think i've made any spelling errors so far

So in summary, if you have something that is truely classic & nice then keep it as best you can, but make sure you enjoy it along the way because eventually someone else will get it & probably ruin things anyway, because only one thing lasts forever, and thats time... and without wanting to start a whole other conversation even that is purely a fluid concept.

Pesimistic aren't I?
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rob

Crikey....That was deep Fubes

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile
thats pretty normal...

there seems to be a spate of rust problems on modern cars, all hidden. the lexus GS series are especially prone to it, with similar levels of corrosion from as little as three years old.

The car it self is fine, it's just the dam supplier parts

Just a question of making sure it doesn't get any worse otherwise the rear sub frame will rust through in a few years

HardRockCamaro

Rusting Fiat?

Who would have thought?  

Fieldy

Quoting: F Body
Been getting the old girl ready for her MOT next week

How do you prepare? I just thought you were supposed to risk it...

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Rusting Fiat?

Who would have thought?

HardRockCamaro

I bought a t-shirt years ago that said that...

F Body

Well we have two smilies

Gator

he photographed a bulb

Gator

philoldsmobile

Quoting: F Body
The car it self is fine, it's just the dam supplier parts  

Just a question of making sure it doesn't get any worse otherwise the rear sub frame will rust through in a few year

and how long do you expect a panda to last? in reality, 10  - 15 years is about all you'd expect from a supermini.

at the end of the day, the fiat panda is now one of the cheapest cars on the road, SOULS in MK are advertising new base model pandas for £5995

HardRockCamaro

I think I read somewhere that the average life for a car in the UK is 11 years...

philoldsmobile

sounds about right..
its down to our 'throw away' attitude, there is no real reason a car should die before 25 years, but when you get a supermini at 10 years old, its worthless, so people don't look after them.

philoldsmobile

TBH, that is only very slight surface corrosion on reasonably thick parts. even untreated i'd expect another 10 years before that rusted through. with an afternoon spent once every 5 years with hammerite, that panda should last 15 - 20 yeas easily. interior, rest of the body, and drive train are still pretty much as new aren't they?