BP Fuel

Started by Cunning Plan, August 08, 2009, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
The number of miles you get per tank don't mean squat.

True, but I should have said they are both 70 liter tanks, both 1997, his is diesel, mine is petrol, both estates. I figured it was a pretty good comparison.

MPG for mine is about 36mpg
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

The 1.8 TD (not a TDCi) is very agricultural! Its a proper tractor engine, but as long as it has a regular timing belt change and oil change its nigh on bullet proof, unfortunately its let down by its less economic value over the modern common rail injection engines. VW Diesels are just ace. I did Wycombe to Newcastle on one tank in the firms van and still had 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank left. Was just over 650 odd miles.

Cunning Plan

@Andy - interesting.. I knew the older TDs wouldn't be as economical as a TDi - but i didnt think it would be on par with a petrol!

Looks like philo was right about VAG diesels being the ones to go for..

EDGE

the TD motor I had in the Svavscort was a TROOPER... no idea what MPG it was getting but it ran on anything from tescos cheap plonk, to tescos veggie oil mixed in... had 190,000 miles on the clock and would have carried on FOREVER (had some nigerian bint not crashed in to me) It was agricultural but i never seemed to have to fill it up... i had it for over a year and it just always seemed to have fuel in it.. I know i dont do a loot of miles a year so thats understandable.  I guesstimate it was getting about 40mpg, based on gut feeling, i never tested it out...

I've just bought a new daily, a 1.8 petrol focus.. went from london to nottingham and back this weekend (only Hooters in the country) and on the trip computer, from my house, getting petrol, pumping the tyres in the garage with the motor running, faffing about getting to the motorway, stopping twice on the way there and 3 times on the way back, it averaged 40.9mpg on the trip computer....T hat was pretty good going i think !!!!  Without the stopping it would have done 43 at least....

I wasn't tying to eek the pertol out, (tescos petrol by the way) but next time i do the same run, which will be fairly soon i bet... I'll try it with a tank of BP fuel just to see...

Also bear in mind that the car was 5 people up, 3 of us are fat bastids too.. and the boot was FULL of luggage... so 40.9mpg is pretty damn good i think...

Fieldy

I fill up at my local shell garage because they have the HGV pump which means my fillling time is cut in 3....

That is the only reason I have behind the method.

EDGE

ah yeah..... the high pressure denzel pump....

Andy

There is a lot of praise for them, but also a lot of people question why Ford made it seem such an unattractive engine at the time. Like you say they go on forever, rarely give any grief and are just dependable if maintained.

If you're looking at economy CP, then the MK3 mondy 1.8 TDCi has a lot going for it, its only 115bhp but it isn't as thirsty as the 2.0, and if you're only looking at a car rather than a something to tow with its perfectly suitable. Also the TDCi engines in them are much more refined.

Fieldy

Quoting: EDGE
ah yeah..... the high pressure denzel pump....

love it, empty tank to empty wallet in 3.4 seconds

Cunning Plan

Yah the mk3 estate TDCi would be my first choice and economy is the highest on the list of needs!

I like the look of the mk3 too.. Although i would really like a 4x4 of some sort - something hooge, but again economy wouldn't be good. Ford don't make a good 4x4 now do they? The Kuga looks alright but its too new for the 2nd hand market.

Jamieg285

I can't believe that you're on an american car forum, discussing the merits of diesel engines.

Fieldy

Quoting: Jamieg285
I can't believe that you're on an american car forum, discussing the merits of diesel engines.

I thought this was a motorcycle forum....?

EDGE

Quoting: Fieldy

F Body

I believe your wifes Honda is a Diesel

NB : Respect to Jamie though for being one of the few true Yank Daily drivers

Andy

The only 4x4 that ford made that might be worth a poke is the Maverick, think it was an AMERICAN   based 4x4 just not sure if it came with a diesel plant.

Jamieg285

Quoting: F Body
I believe your wifes Honda is a Diesel

Yes, but I'd still choose to use mine, any day.

Quoting: Fieldy

Yeah, you got me there.

Any diesel motorbikes?

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Andy
The only 4x4 that ford made that might be worth a poke is the Maverick, think it was an AMERICAN   based 4x4

The Maverick was a Nissan Terrano rebadged.  And it was horrible imho...

The Explorer was their proper American ono, just be sure to not get the Firestone tyres...

HardRockCamaro

40.9 is very good.

My 1.8 Focus with 4 of us in did 39mpg that time we went to Cumbria.

On my own it would do up to 42 on a long run.

EDGE

i thought 40.9 was very good yeah !!

i was shocked to be honest... i'v not seen an average mpg that high for years... definitely a wise purchase so far..

philoldsmobile

a guy at work has just bought a diesel jeep cherokee.

turns out he had a nightmare getting parts, because chrysler dealers are useless, and no one in the states (or people like US automotive) could help, because the diesel cherokee is a hotch potch built in austria using an italian VM ditch pump engine (i kid you not)

the Americans didn't even know it existed.

shoulda bought the 4.0 and had LPG on it.

philoldsmobile

Yeah, you got me there.

Any diesel motorbikes?

Yes there is!

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/enfield_diesel_1997.php\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/enfield_diesel_1997.php

simple rules of motoring.... petrol rules, and its 4 cylinders = bike engine, 6 cylinders = car engine, 8 cylinders = SUV engine. 12 cylinders = exotica engine

only sports cars may break the 8 cylinder engine rule, eg Caamro / corvette, porsche 928 ferrari 355, TVR Griffith etc.

Andy

Its a former Royal Oilfield!!

That diesel engine looks straight out of the Nothern Tool catalogue for replacement engines.

Cunning Plan

Hmm, last tank was quite rubbish, only 475 miles.. The cold weather must be effecting the economy.

ANND it's gone up to 108.9

F Body

Quoting: Cunning Plan
ANND it's gone up to 108.9

I was in Newport Pagnell services this morning and they were selling Shell diesel at 111 point something  a litre

Big Mouse

This thread has gone sideways, backwards and up and down so I'll throw in that having done some extensive research i.e. 20,000 miles in the last year - I have found that Tesco diesel gives me almost 12-15% more mileage than BP and 10-12% more mileage than Shell.

I haven't tried other supermarkets or smaller petrol stations unless I have had no choice in the matter or run out of fuel. It may be crap, it may be doing damage but as long as I get further form my hard earned I couldn't give a toss.

The merc ml - please don't ever buy one - used to give me around 320 to the tank if I drove it normal, 360-380 if I drove like a pensioner. Changing to Tesco diesel on the recommendation of a client who works for them gave me a sudden increase of 350 - 400 to a tank.

The A6 is even better, faster, has more bells and whistles, cheaper and infintely more comfortable than the merc and gives me an average of 400 miles to the tank against the same cost as filling the merc

I have no idea what their petrol is like but their diesel works for me.

Roadkill

Quoting: Cunning Plan
The cold weather must be effecting the economy.

Yeah - I was getting 150km out of a tank on the bike but that's dropped to 130km last fill-up.