Fun with a G-Tech meter (or how fast is an STS?)

Started by HardRockCamaro, August 14, 2009, 04:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

I was out this evening messing around with one of those Can-Am Spyder trikes and I took my old G-Terch meter with me (having dug it out of the garage and dusted it off as I haven't seen/used it in years).

After we finished messing around with the Spyders I thought I'd try the meter on the Caddy just to get some actual performance numbers (having found the G-Tech to be surprisingly accurate at the Pod).

Run 1:

Technique:  I took my left foot off the brake pedal and simultaneously fed the throttle in carefully to try and eliminate wheelspin, getting to full throttle within a second.

0 - 60 mph :  6.67s
1/4 mile : 14.99 @ 99.7 mph

Run 2:

Technique:  I built up the revs a bit and took my left foot off the brake pedal and simultaneously mashed the throttle, this resulted in a lot of wheelspin before the traction system came in harshly.

0 - 60 mph :  6.97s
1/4 mile : 15.05 @ 99.3 mph

Run 3:

Technique:  I followed the advice I'd read on the Caddy forums some time ago which was to simply let the computers do their work as this is the trick to getting a good time.  So I only took up the barest of slack in the throttle, side stepped the brake and mashed the throttle down hard instead of feathering it in.  The car pulled away with minimal wheelspin which the computer gently controlled by 3,500rpm, a perfect launch!

0 - 60 mph : 6.32 seconds
1/4 mile : 14.65 seconds @ 100.7 mph

Now I know 14.65 seconds is not setting the world alight, but remember this car weighs over 2 tons and is front wheel drive so the slow(ish) 0-60 time means the 1/4 will always suffer, but the terminal speed of over 100mph does prove my feeling that the STS is a real weapon once it's rolling, especially from 75mph and up.

Badger

Impressive figures.Damn Yankees show next weekend, and the strip will be open. Give it a blast

HardRockCamaro

Thanks for the reminder about the show, will be there!  Dunno if I can be arsed to queue for runs though...

Might be a bit more in the old girl if I lowered the tyre pressures a bit and emptied all the crap out ofd the boot... Had just under half a tank of fuel in her too...

Mind you, getting grip on the street compared to the strip are two different things...

EDGE

woudlnt worry about 'the strip' at north weald... its mainly old concrete if i remeber rightly.... not a slick as santa pods surface...

Fieldy

not bad considering how comfortable you were at the time!!

F Body

Quoting: HardRockCamaro

Ain't too shabby

Quoting: Badger
Damn Yankees show next weekend,

Thanks for the reminder about the show,

Enjoyed our visit to North Weld earlier this year and I bought those bargain £25 4th gen electric mirrors

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Z28/DSC01208.jpg?t=1250362381\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> [img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Z28/DSC01208.jpg?t=1250362381\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: F Body

Ain't too shabby  

Indeed, slightly slower to 60 and through the quarter than an LT1 FBody, but a higher terminal speed.

Titsy

Indeed, slightly slower to 60 and through the quarter than an LT1 FBody, but a higher terminal speed.

Yup, the best i've ever managed is:

0 - 60 mph: 5.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.112 seconds with a mid to high 90's terminal velocity

Roadkill

Makes me wanna get some times for the bike, now . . . although I don't fancy holding onto that fekker @ 100mph !