took the money and ran...............

Started by philoldsmobile, December 05, 2009, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

like a startled fawn on a cold december morn.....

Got my new phone yesterday, and was gobsmacked when phones4u said they can offer me £30 for my old manky prada.

when i asked if it was credited to my vodafone account, the girl said "no, you give us the old handset, and we give you £30 cash right now" (double what mazuma or envirofone offer) once the sim was out, i didn't even keep hold of it long enough to replace the battey or cover, instead depositing a pile of dismantled phone on the desk!

very nice surprise - it was going to be hit with a hammer, but this was far better!

now have a Nokia 6700 classic, very nice, and shiny being made of stainless steel.. its about 3 times heavier than the LG, feels very solid and classy. I dont get excited about phones in any way, but this really is cool - best phone i've seen since the Motorola Krazr I had before the prada.

and no, i dont rate the i phone at all... this is absolutely PERFECT for me.

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile
and no, i dont rate the i phone at all...

Has hell frozen over

My new company phone is a similar Nokia 6303 Classic

I find it great for ONLY making phone calls

philoldsmobile

Incursus

Saw the Nokia while I was browsing the phones in T-Mobile store.  Looked pretty scuffed up so do rely too much on the stainless steel protecting it
has buttons as well

Chap showed us the new HTC HD2  very sexy!  
Out of my price range though I'll probably still get the HTC Hero

Incursus

isn't that what a phone is for?

Probably the function I use the least on my phone

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Incursus
has buttons as well

that was no1 on my list! i hate touch screens with a passion..

if the stainless does get scuffed i have the kit at work to re polish it.

F Body

if the stainless does get scuffed i have the kit at work to re polish i

I really mucked up the screen on my the first week I had it
It was in my motorcycle leathers top pocket and whilst I was out riding the disc lock key basically hammering into the screen

I masked around the screen and used 1800 grit wet and dry sand paper.
Initial results were horrifying, the screen just went milky white

But I kept going to find that the screen is coated with a layer of something ( anti-scratch surface ? ) Once through the coating, I kept rinsing the sand paper in warm water, until I got a smooth surface
It then took about two hours of polishing with Brasso to get the shine back and about an hour with plastic polish to finish off

The end result was very good, you really can't tell i wrecked the screen

Incursus

Quoting: Incursus
has buttons as well

that was no1 on my list! i hate touch screens with a passion..

lol each to his own I guess but don't judge touch phones on that piece of crap prada you had

philoldsmobile

i've tried several touch screen phones before,  including an HTC tattoo in the shop yesterday, I simply don't like them. they dont feel natural, and they are hopeless for things like phone banking, its far too easy to enter numbers wrong. Apparently touch screens are a love it or hate it thing - although according to phones4u the Prada is universally loathed!

dont like the i pod touch either, I prefer the feel of a mechanical button, it feels more solid and physical, i like the re assuring feel of something going ker-klick when you press it.

the HTC models they had seemed quite lightweight and cheap (as do blackberry - really nasty considering the price), i'm a sucker for metal, I just love the solid feel of something thats slightly heavier.  

When i found the Nokia was metal (yes, i chose it 100% on looks) I was really impressed, the motorola I had before was chromed plastic.

The HTC tattoo was very slow, especially coming out of sleep mode, and the touch screen had all the usage issues of the prada.

F Body

Apparently touch screens are a love it or hate it thing

I just can't cope with all the finger marks obscuring the text

Fieldy

each to their own I guess, the Prada was a piece of shit,

But no-one is getting my i-Phone from me

philoldsmobile

I haven't met anyone with a good thing to say about the prada! there were lots of ooohs and ahhs over the Nokia today at work though, its a very solid feeling piece of kit, like a phone for growed ups, instead of a toy.

Incursus

most HTC are very solid bits of kit the tattoo and the magic are exceptions as they are cheap cut down versions. I am bias though I had HTC phones for last four years, most of my family have them and quite a few friends.  I would never go back to buttons.  they are a waste of screen space and web browsing...everything in fact is just so much more difficult.  

I agree though Nokia do make a solid phone.  I have an E30 as a company mobile.
Still consider them a bit chav though

art b

Quoting: F Body
masked around the screen and used 1800 grit wet and dry sand paper.
Initial results were horrifying, the screen just went milky white  

But I kept going to find that the screen is coated with a layer of something ( anti-scratch surface ? ) Once through the coating, I kept rinsing the sand paper in warm water, until I got a smooth surface  
It then took about two hours of polishing with Brasso to get the shine back and about an hour with plastic polish to finish off

how come the fact that marti, spent 4 hrs polishing a phone doesnt surprise me
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: