More snow on it's way

Started by Amey, January 04, 2010, 06:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incursus

Screw it everyone else has gone home.....when in rome

Plus Luminar want to close the building

v8mad0

Its not bad here in my Village but out and about is not so good.

I'm on my second day off

HardRockCamaro

Woohoo!  Just spent 20 minutes in an empty snowy car park doing doughnuts and drifting an 800cc 4x4 Can-Am Quad bike!!!  

Why did I even buy a Jeep when I could have bought one of those?  

Oh yeah because it costs more than twice as much as my Jeep...  

Bloody awesome though!!!!  

Fieldy

Quoting: EDGE
When it looks like its stopped im making a snowman.... YEAAAAHHH

Me and the lad made a snow duck... It was going to be a snow boy as I couldn't be bothered to make a snow man, but the face got deformed and now has a beak, so we have a snow duck on our front garden.

nick69

Sounds like you lot are having loads of fun over there, me ive had a really boring day in the mountains on one of these:

HardRockCamaro

Is that an Arctic Cat?

They're meant to be pretty rapid!

Andy

What does it do down the 1/4?

Quoting: Cunning Plan
1. Vauxhal Astra?
2. Ford Focus
3. MONDEO!!

Nah, number two is a Civic, well up past the lower body mouldings now. Am hoping my fairly new tyres are going to cut it tomorrow as I have to get in there.

nick69

Yeah its a Cat and it scares the shoot outta me!!

Fieldy

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Woohoo! Just spent 20 minutes in an empty snowy car park doing doughnuts and drifting an 800cc 4x4 Can-Am Quad bike!!!

We've just been 'playing' in a car park doing the same thing, then got stuck on the hill trying to get out for over 30mins.

Jo

Snowy here too Got into work fine and still here at the moment.

philoldsmobile

it had just started snowing when i left bedford, heard on the radio that it is snowing heavily on the A45 in Northamptonshire, so i guess more is on the way.

Kinda glad I left the alfa at my parents and bought the tahoe home..

Fieldy

Only a couple of inches still here, not enough, I love the snow

Quoting: philoldsmobile
Kinda glad I left the alfa at my parents and bought the tahoe home..

Once it has been on the ground for 24hours you could be driving a Horse and cart and the results stay the same, Ice has no care for 4X4 drive or 2 wheel drive. Driving steady is the only answer.

If anything, I would have said driving carefully, the Alfa would have been better. (Or does the cold air play havoc with the engine? )

a91_formula

Talking of snowmen - this was built in our car park near work yesterday

Today someone has found some twigs and have placed it so it looks like it has pubic hair
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Fieldy

Once it has been on the ground for 24hours you could be driving a Horse and cart and the results stay the same, Ice has no care for 4X4 drive or 2 wheel drive. Driving steady is the only answer.

If anything, I would have said driving carefully, the Alfa would have been better.

Indeed, ice needs studded tyres really.  4x4 can only do so much.
Not sure the Alfa would be better than a 4x4 though?  

philoldsmobile

its all about pressure between the tyre and road - the alfa puts more rubber on the road, but with much less weight, so the tyre exerts much more pressure on the road surface in the tahoe - this leads to much better grip. how much more weight? the alfa is 1510kg, the tahoe is 2500! so each tyre is pressed into the ice much harder.

factor in the chunkier tread on the 4x4 (itself not an issue, but big grooves = less rubber on the road = more pressure for the rubber that is there) and the effect is compounded - the alfas footprint is substantially bigger.

HardRockCamaro

Plus you have 4 driving wheels as opposed to 2...

Andy

Passed a BMW X5 planted in a lamp post on a dodgy hill towards a roundabout this morning. From driving it you can tell he was going to fast for the road conditions, crested the hill and hit the brakes (skided grooves on the road). I did similar but that was because a divvy bint had stopped and blocked the road causing me to have to move to the other side of the road and go around a traffic island the wrong way. Luckily there wasn't any traffic in the opposite direction.

Either way it backs up that on ice or black ice as it was, the only real thing that'll save you is patience and taking it very easy.

philoldsmobile

yup, i drove the tahoe exactly as i would the alfa in these conditions, the tahoe just affords me a greater safety margin when some pillock does something stupid.

driving in snow and ice reveals a smorgasbord of stupidity from other drivers.

Andy

This is getting lame, -20c tonight!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47061000/jpg/_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> [img]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47061000/jpg/_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

taken today from the BBC website.

philoldsmobile

Andy

Got my glow plugs changed today, bloomin' glad i did now!

Got my car started this morning on what must've been three cylinders, but sounded like two!

Cunning Plan

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Plus you have 4 driving wheels as opposed to 2...

Yah, when stuck I would have a 4x4 any day, you have twice the moving wheels to edge you forward to where you need to go (providing you know how to use the power etc etc...)

Nice big heavy 4x4 being driven properly in moderate snow = uber win.
Nice big heavy 4x4 being driven properly in heavy snow =  win

FWD being driven properly in moderate snow =  win
FWD being driven properly in heavy snow = fail.

Both being driven with no thought = fail.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Andy
Got my glow plugs changed today, bloomin' glad i did now!

Got my car started this morning on what must've been three cylinders, but sounded like two!

What temperature does diesel wax at? Usually we don't have to consider diesel waxing in England, but these are arctic conditions
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

i believe its -15 for the blend used in the UK

Andy

Haha, Sky News is live down the road from me in Lane End. Apparently one of the coldest places in Britain yesterday. Set to get even colder tonight.