More snow on it's way

Started by Amey, January 04, 2010, 06:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Andy
Haha, Sky News is live down the road from me in Lane End. Apparently one of the coldest places in Britain yesterday. Set to get even colder tonight.

Where are you
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Amey

Haha, Sky News is live down the road from me in Lane End. Apparently one of the coldest places in Britain yesterday. Set to get even colder tonight.

When driving to Ryan's last night ITV news were recording at the concrete cows along the H3

Incursus

Took the Mustang in to work today.  Only twitched once.

for the journey home.

Incursus

art b

ya gotta larf the media tell people to stay in or off the roads...

and the silly tw@ts are all over the country,   filming thigs of no interest like an inch in some ones window box....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Where are you

They were just down the road in the village of Lane End. Try our best to avoid it, a lot of high 6's going on if you get me!

It was proof that it's all being hyped up a bit really. She said at the time it was only -5c bit warm if you ask me!

Completely agree Art, they had the GMTV lot in John Lewis the week before Christmas. Makes you wonder, if a film crew managed to get there from where ever they're based, what's stopping those who've kipped in the shop?

ianjpage

Jamieg285

Quoting: Fieldy
(Or does the cold air play havoc with the engine? )

Only when it's running

Jamieg285

Quoting: Incursus
Took the Mustang in to work today.

Been using the Camaro all week.

Having great fun.  

art b

Andy

Quoting: Jamieg285

That is dedication to the hobby!!

As soon as the snows gone i'm gonna pressure wash the underside of mine, far too much salt for my liking...

Cunning Plan

As soon as the snows gone i'm gonna pressure wash the underside of mine, far too much salt for my liking...

Andy

Don't know about you CP but my Mondys loving all this snow! Haven't felt any twitches or nothing, just plods through at a sensible speed with ease. New glow plugs are charmers too, starts first time and firing on all cylinders, doesn't sound like an old Ford tractor now

Have some new rubber on the front since October, after getting them I stumbled upon some reviews that dont class them too well, but I gotta say they've been ace. Not got stuck once. (yet)

Fieldy

Jamieg285

That is dedication to the hobby!!

Not as such.  It's my daily driver so I don't have a choice.

Ditto

Fieldy

Hasn't snowed properly here for nearly 3 days

Cunning Plan

Don't know about you CP but my Mondys loving all this snow! Haven't felt any twitches or nothing, just plods through at a sensible speed with ease. New glow plugs are charmers too, starts first time and firing on all cylinders, doesn't sound like an old Ford tractor now  

Yah it's okay, much better this time now I have newer tyres on, last year when it snowed it was terrible. Kind of proves the theory that it's all about tyres!

Think I should tell my housemate to replace the glow plugs on his Passat - that sounds like a John Deer

So, even if say three of the plugs worked and warmed the cylinders, would the fourth not just fire after the engine has been running for a while? Compression ignition and all? Or if the cylinder is cold it won't fire at all? - But then would heat from the other cylinders help it?

What I'm saying is, if a glowplug doesn't work, does the cylinder not work at all?

art b

if a glow plug is fooked ya get white smoke but not proper combustion,until the cylinder has warmed up....

more noticable in the cold weather...

Andy

Yep, a diesel cylinder that isn't 'hot' enough for combustion will just chuck the unburnt diesel out the exhaust.

Before I got mine changed it just sounded like a bag of nails for the first 5 minutes, that was if it would start!

A decent set should last for a good 5 years, cheap ones a winter if you're lucky. Picked up a set of Denso that are ment to be pukka, and got them fitted at a garage as they are a bastid to get out. Think mine were wound in on a bench when the cylinder head was being fixed.

Cunning Plan

art b

philoldsmobile

my brothers merc has a dead glowplug, it starts on 5, the 6th cylinder kicks in about 20 seconds later. if the passat is taking much longer, there is another problem.

some old diesels dont have glowplugs at all - even if all glowplugs are dead, the car will still start, it will just take a lot longer, and be rougher for a few moments.

Jamieg285

Ditto

Hehe, did the next best thing instead.  Took her out round the country lanes out the back of Luton,  through some massive puddles/floods.  Gave the undercarrige a thorough rinsing.