For you photographers

Started by Andy, January 29, 2010, 01:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

or star gazers...

Tonight is the night to check out the Moon and Mars. Both will be pretty bright in the sky, Mars being just to the left (iirc) to the Moon.

Great opportunity to get those detailed shots of the Moons surface with a telephoto.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100128/tsc-mars-and-moon-in-heavenly-show-4b158bc.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">News

Gator

mars magnified is pretty unimpressive its just a red blob we borrowed a telescope for a bit and it was awesome in the truest sense of the word seeing saturn and its rings and moons with your own eyes is quite emotional

Andy

Cannot agree more! Have a telescope here and put it on Saturn once and it's really impressive seeing with your own eyes rather than in a book (the other way up!)

art b

there is an ace full moon out there tonite....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

art b

Quoting: Andy
Great opportunity to get those detailed shots of the Moons surface with a telephoto.

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

Too bloody cold to put the SLR up outside, plus it was bloody snowing here!

My friend put up what she got on facebook. Moon looked ace, but even with her 500mm you can only just make out Mars as a white dot, no more than about 5px wide lol

If its clear tonight, i shall be putting on the winter gear and giving it a blast.

FUBAR

Quoting: Gator
seeing saturn and its rings and moons with your own eyes is quite emotional

Never done that, would love too tho.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Andy

FUBAR

The moon Shrunk & moved down a bit...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

Great pictures Andy

What settings did you use?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

HardRockCamaro

I only have a 200mm lens for my SLR< but I took this one with the eqvialent of a 500mm lens on my dads 10 or 12 megapixel Olympus compact a couple of years ago (cropped obviously):

Cunning Plan

SH1T dude!! That is impressive!!

Again, what settings did you use?

HardRockCamaro

Manual,
1/60th
f/5.6

I suspect I used spot metering...

In hindsight I should have closed the lens down to f8 to get more sharpness and lengthened the shutter speed to compensate...

The moon is bright so the shutter speed is pretty fast so no need to worry about the moon moving in the frame due to the earths rotation (more of a problem at longer than 30s exposures).

Cunning Plan

Can you send me the whole picture? Might use that as my wallpaper for a bit if you don't mind

craig *DOT* cunningplan *AT* gmail.com

HardRockCamaro

Sorry, that's the only version I have and it's all that's left after I cropped it down...

You could grab that pic and place it on a plain black background to give you the size image you need...

Incursus

Roadkill

That picture is fierce !!

(am actively supplementing the word "awesome" with "fierce" as awesome is over-used)

Cunning Plan

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Sorry, that's the only version I have and it's all that's left after I cropped it down...

Okay, cheers anyway

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
(am actively supplementing the word "awesome" with "fierce" as awesome is over-used)

Ooo you rebel

Roadkill

Quoting: Incursus
Ooo you rebel

I prefer the term "Trailblazer"

Incursus

Quoting: Incursus
Quoting: Roadkill

Ooo you rebe

Actually I like the term 'That's Savage'  some of my Irish friends are fond of