1990 Ford Sierra

Started by Andy, March 20, 2010, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Any of you guys had any experience with these? It's just an idea for something at the moment, but would be handy to know any issues to look out for on them. The one I'm looking at has an autobox.

Cheers,

Andy

Fieldy

No idea about the Autos, personally I would but a manual.

Rust underneath would be the first place I would look

Gator

the prop shafts go bang regularly i had to change ours a couple of times

F Body

Quoting: Andy
Any of you guys had any experience with these?

I had 1989 1.8LX which was 18 months old when I bought it, ran it for three years and 50k+ miles.
The only thing that broke was the exhaust system snapped where it curves over the rear axle
Oh and mine didn't have power steering and was impossible to park

philoldsmobile

dad had an XR4i for 8 years (2wd 2door) AWESOME car,nothing ever went wrong, looked awesome, went well.. 80's cool

Andy

Not looking at anything that fierce but must admit they've grown on me.

This is a 1990 1.8 cvh auto, 88k on the clock, looks like an LX and nothing to special. Seen the guys advert on eBay and the one on PH so I know he's put of the price for this event but I might try it anyway.

Cheers for the info, by the sounds of it, a road trip to Barcelona should be a piece of.. well let's not tempt fate.

philoldsmobile

check for its ability to use leaded fuel, most sierras didn't, and any run without an additive or conversion will be suffering by now. an in tank device like the fuel cat is NOT a conversion.

philoldsmobile

sierras were  good cars, the last really decent ford.

Cunning Plan

I wouldn't mind an estate..

But if I was going for an even older UK Ford, I'd get a Granada Estate

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

HardRockCamaro

My dad had a new Sierra every other year back when they were current models.  Never had a problem with any of them.

We had a G-reg 2.0L one which had a chain instead of cambelt, fairly rare as Sierras go but probably more reliable long term...  It could use unleaded too whereas out F0reg 2.0L could not...

I wouldn't get an auto...

I'd have thought rotted arches, doors and dodgy electrics were the things to look for...

F Body

Quoting: Cunning Plan
I wouldn't mind an estate..

Plenty of cheap Omega Estates around and they run up to a 52 plate, so more likely to have some life left in them

philoldsmobile

unfortunately you then have the complete shame of driving an omega, plus they are utter crap.

Carlton would be a better bet. I spent many hours elbow deep in a neighbors omega, it used to find new and exciting ways to drain money on an almost weekly basis, it was a fairly new car, too. there is no vauxhall in existence you should buy post 1994, they are crap, end of.

nick69

Well it looks like the king has spoken

I had an omega, did 100k in it and nothing ever went wrong.....ever!! I would have another in a heartbeat.
Go for the Grenada estate. Very cool

EDGE

my dad had a 1990 (G) reg red sierra, i think the only thing he ever replaced was a piston and it had over 180k on it when he sold it !!  Im pretty sure it had 40K on it when he got it from his brother who had it from new, so it had been looked after/serviced very well.

The only reason he got rid of it was that the heater was never very good, even from new, same as my xr2, even with a new heater core they just never got as hot as modern cars...

He's now got a BMW 328i, the last repair bill was MORE than double what he sold the sierra for about 8 years ago!!!

Fieldy

Quoting: EDGE
He's now got a BMW 328i, the last repair bill was MORE than double what he sold the sierra for about 8 years ago!!!

If he ever wants rid of the BM

My parents had A Sierra 4x4, Jet black, reg plate D262 TBB (Known locally as 'The Big Bully' as my mum drove like a mad-person in it).

Un-forgettable car, that one ran on leaded fuel which is why my dad chopped it in for his Jeep Cherokee.

Quoting: DVLA
The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for D262 TBB are:

Date of Liability   01 08 2004
Date of First Registration   17 09 1986
Year of Manufacture   1986
Cylinder Capacity (cc)   2792CC
CO2 Emissions   Not Available
Fuel Type   Petrol
Export Marker   Not Applicable
Vehicle Status   Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour   BLACK