How much is petrol per gallon ????

Started by F Body, April 01, 2010, 07:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

The average cost of petrol in the UK is £1.20p per litre

That's now £5.45 a gallon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8598369.stm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8598369.stm

NB : Someone care to work out what that is in US Dollars/US Gallons

Incursus

Its too late for April Fool jokes.

F Body

Quoting: Incursus
Its too late for April Fool jokes.

There is anything remotely funny about £1.20 per litre/ £5.45 a gallon

"The average price of unleaded petrol is currently 117.93p a litre. Diesel is on average 118.51p, according to figures from industry experts Catalist.

The penny rise in duty will see petrol move closer to the record average high of 119.7p set in July 2008. Diesel peaked then at 133.25p

Motorama

I filled up my Dodge Ram yesterday

100 litres of fuel for £55

LPG ftw

Shifty

Quoting: F Body
The penny rise in duty will see petrol move closer to the record average high of 119.7p set in July 2008. Diesel peaked then at 133.25p

Yet no one does anything about it

I still remember the delights of the lorry driver blockades,

aaahhhh fond memories

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Shifty
Yet no one does anything about it  

The minute you block a public highway, you are in breach of anti-terror laws

That was decided after the last blockaid..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Motorama
LPG ftw

Was thinking of getting an old diesel and running veg oil

EDGE

i ran the chavsort on veggie/denzel...

ran exactly the same but smelt like burnt popcorn... its not really worth it over all though as you have to change the filters etc more often and that negates the money you save in fuel...

Titsy

Quoting: F Body
Someone care to work out what that is in US Dollars/US Gallons

$6.98/USGal

HardRockCamaro

I'd get an LPG conversion for the Wrangler except there's no place for the tank but where the back seat sits.

Incursus

I'm sure it would take many mile/years to cover the cost of a conversion.

Cunning Plan

Quoting: EDGE
ran exactly the same but smelt like burnt popcorn... its not really worth it over all though as you have to change the filters etc more often and that negates the money you save in fuel...

You say that but I'm doing 2,800 miles a month.. I reckon it would be a huugee saving..

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Incursus
I'm sure it would take many mile/years to cover the cost of a conversion.

not at all.... Dads LPG system paid for itself in about 3 years, and now at resale time, it has added a lot of value to the vehicle (about a grand more), due to it moving from toy status to viable daily driver.

cheap LPG systems are a false economy, because they impair the running on petrol and don't run as well on gas, as well as getting FAR inferior MPG to a multipoint gas injection system. In other words, you get what you pay for.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Cunning Plan
You say that but I'm doing 2,800 miles a month.. I reckon it would be a huugee saving..

based on the Tahoe figures;

2800 miles at an average of 19mpg = 669 liters - £802.80p @ 1.20 per liter.

2800 miles at an average of 17mpg = 747 liters - £485.55  @ 65p per liter.

thats a saving of £317.25 per month. a top notch LPG system will be a bout £3k fitted (dads was £2700 5 years ago) = 9.45 months to totally recoup the cost.

complete no brainer.

Incursus

I do less than 10K per year.  cba to do the maths.

philoldsmobile

On the mustang I doubt it would be worthwhile, its more suited to big SUV / pickup type vehicles.

its worth considering that6 6 cylinder systems are cheaper, and also there are cheaper multipoint systems than the Prins,

I was seriously considering it on the lexus, (i was quoted £1600 for multipoint, although thats partly because i was a returning customer, and partly because there is a cheap good kit for those engines)  had the car been in better condition, and I kept it I would have. if I were to do the lexus thing again, i'd get an LS400 and get it converted immediately, THAT would be an awesome über cruiser....

The Tahoe is an expensive conversion because  the vortec system makes it especially difficult to convert.

There are tubes that feed the gas through the inlet to the head , and you have to fire the injectors early to compensate for the long injector run, so the ECU needed to make it work is far more complicated than the usual piggyback one that simply fires the gas injector when the petrol one would normally fire.

Cunning Plan

Quoting: philoldsmobile
average of 17mpg

Interesting but a diesel will get me 60+ mpg, 700+ miles to a  70ltr tank.

I can't be bothered to do the math, but if 30mpg was near what the Chevy does (which it isn't) you could estimate and say half the price of fuel, so from diesel at currently £1.20 to 60p. which is still cheaper than LPG..

Even cheaper again if you use veg oil, but there are issues with filters / which engine you have etc..

philoldsmobile

ummm.... you cant possibly compare a 60mpg diesel (fiesta, pug 106, Citroen C3 etc) with a 5.7 liter V8 SUV

the diesel Tahoe is rubbish at best (yank diesels are, especially the 6.5 turbo diesel) and does about 20 - 22 mpg.

even against a something like a mitsubishi L200 (c.26 mpg), the Tahoe is WAY cheaper to run, and almost 100BHP more.

Cunning Plan

ummm.... you cant possibly compare a 60mpg diesel (fiesta, pug 106, Citroen C3 etc) with a 5.7 liter V8 SUV

I was thinking Passat... But yes, you're right, it is stupid to compare the two, but we were talking about fuel and fuel economy..

Was thinking of getting an old diesel and running veg oil

So I was just saying I'd have that over an LPG..

But I would love the Tahoooooe  

philoldsmobile

you wont get 60mpg from a pastit, 50 at a real stretch, more like 45 - 48. In perfect conditions you might get just over 50, cruising on a motorway at about 56 mph!

people with diseasals just loooooooooooooove to tell you they get more MPG than they do, the reality is they aren't quite as economical as you would like typically about 10 - 15% more than an equivalent petrol

Cunning Plan

you wont get 60mpg from a pastit, 50 at a real stretch, more like 45 - 48. In perfect conditions you might get just over 50, cruising on a motorway at about 56 mph!

Sorry bud, but you can, my house mate gets 55/62 from his '97

Fieldy

people with diseasals just loooooooooooooove to tell you they get more MPG than they do, the reality is they aren't quite as economical as you would like typically about 10 - 15% more than an equivalent petrol

78 ish MPG from my old diesel

HardRockCamaro

My dad gets an average 56 with a best of 65 from his tdci Focus so I seriously question the math of anyone getting more in a similar or larger size/weight vehicle.

Cunning Plan

Sorry bud, but you can, my house mate gets 55/62 from his '97

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
My dad gets an average 56 with a best of 65 from his tdci Focus so I seriously question the math of anyone getting more in a similar or larger size/weight vehicle.

That's what he has worked it out to be..

We both have '97s, both 70ltr tanks, his is a diesel, mine is a petrol. I get 520 miles, he gets over 720..

philoldsmobile

Quoting: HardRockCamaro

i'm inclined to agree, especially as the focus TDCI was class leading for its economy, with much newer technology than the older heavier less aerodynamic passat -
methinks a calculation error...